Seriously, Console Wars Are Pointless

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Seriously, Console Wars Are Pointless

Forget about consoles, Yahtzee wants us to concentrate on the games.

Read Full Article

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
One thing that gives me hope is the recent trend of Android-powered gaming devices like the Archos Gamepad [http://www.archos.com/products/gamepad/index.html?country=ca&lang=en], the Wikipad [http://www.wikipad.com/], the Ouya [http://www.ouya.tv/] and Project Shield [http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/7/3845282/nvidia-announces-project-shield-handheld-gaming-system]. None of these are console-killers at the moment, but if any of them manage to get some third-party support they'll represent an important step on the road towards standardized gaming hardware.

Valve's console project also seems promising, if the rumours of it basically being a pre-configured Linux PC running Steam's Big Picture mode are true, but we'll have to wait for more details on that.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
The closest thing we have right now to this is PC gaming, but it still suffers from not being an easy thing to break into if you're new to games, both from a price standpoint and a complexity standpoint. Once some of these rumored pseudo-console computers like the Ouya and the gamestick and the Xwhatever that the Escapist just had an article about start becoming more than tantalizing promises we may start seeing a move in this direction.

R.Nevermore

Mar 28, 2008
The Piston look very promising for this end actually. A slight link from pc to console.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
You don't want an end to the consol war, you want an end to consol exclusives.
Wrong. That was him trying to make a point about how it would be if Publishers were only that: Publishers. And competed by making good games and good controls. not With exclusives and all the other bullshit they FORCE on us.

And it's *Console.

Mulberry

Aug 25, 2011
An analogy might be only buying books from Harper Collins because its paper stock is better than that used by Transworld. Never mind the pesky words, feel the delivery medium!

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
l3o2828 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
You don't want an end to the consol war, you want an end to consol exclusives.
Wrong. That was him trying to make a point about how it would be if Publishers were only that: Publishers. And competed by making good games and good controls. not With exclusives and all the other bullshit they FORCE on us.

And it's *Console.
But as long as there are different console options, they ARE going to be competing with one another. That's what drives them to create better hardware. Without competition, quality stagnates.

And thanks my spell check sucks.
Have you read this article or not?
Yahtzee has been explaining that he thinks the behaviour of publishers and such is more like a War, rather than a competition, and we as the costumers are the ones who are getting fucked the most.
And i completly agree with him.
Now, do me a favour and read it again, and read it for reals now before commenting. If you don't agree that's fine, but you are ignoring several of his points.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Well, at least the PS2 being abandoned (and not sent to fiery torment) means that the PS3 won't be abandoned. I've been planning on getting a PS3 this year, since PSPlus is a good deal as opposed to Xbox Live Gold.

Oh, I'm just playing into their hands. All of their hands, in fact. What about the poor family with only one television with members who want to try different experiences? What if the older son wants to play Gears of War, the younger daughter wants to play Little Big Planet, and the parents want to play Mario together? Too bad, they can't, because only one console can fit in their budget or even their living room. THAT, my fellow readers, is why this console war should end.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Righteous Edison burn, sweet ending! ^^

The ideal world where the consoles just serve the games has always been PC.
Now I am not calling PC gaming "ideal"... It costs friggin' tons, for one.
But at least it has all the emulators, free/Indie games and backwards compatibility you want.

The news about Valve's new box probably came to late for your article, so that's obviously for next week's column!
Plus talk Ouya and that new 2 inch USB stick in a controller thing too!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Xman490 said:
Well, at least the PS2 being abandoned (and not sent to fiery torment) means that the PS3 won't be abandoned. I've been planning on getting a PS3 this year, since PSPlus is a good deal as opposed to Xbox Live Gold.

Oh, I'm just playing into their hands. All of their hands, in fact. What about the poor family with only one television with members who want to try different experiences? What if the older son wants to play Gears of War, the younger daughter wants to play Little Big Planet, and the parents want to play Mario together? Too bad, they can't, because only one console can fit in their budget or even their living room. THAT, my fellow readers, is why this console war should end.
But... if a poor family can only afford one TV, why would they waste money on buying a gaming console to begin with?

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
And it's *Console.
But as long as there are different console options, they ARE going to be competing with one another. That's what drives them to create better hardware. Without competition, quality stagnates.[/quote]

I don't know, maybe you're too young to remember the Beta/VHS format war, but surely you remember the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war? Both left a lot of people with useless devices and media, but were relatively short-lived and ultimately a universal standard won out. Meanwhile consoles continue this ridiculous format war almost a decade past the point when it was still relevant.

People who consume content just want to consume content. If they have a movie they want their friends to see, they want to be able to bring it to their friends' houses without having to check for device compatibility. The existence of a universal standard has not ended hardware competition in the DVD or Blu-ray player market, so why should video games be any different?

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Falseprophet said:
DVS BSTrD said:
And it's *Console.
But as long as there are different console options, they ARE going to be competing with one another. That's what drives them to create better hardware. Without competition, quality stagnates.

I don't know, maybe you're too young to remember the Beta/VHS format war, but surely you remember the Blu-ray/HD-DVD format war? Both left a lot of people with useless devices and media, but were relatively short-lived and ultimately a universal standard won out. Meanwhile consoles continue this ridiculous format war almost a decade past the point when it was still relevant.

People who consume content just want to consume content. If they have a movie they want their friends to see, they want to be able to bring it to their friends' houses without having to check for device compatibility. The existence of a universal standard has not ended hardware competition in the DVD or Blu-ray player market, so why should video games be any different?
Agreed. It would be nice to play L4D with my friend who has a Mac (I've got it on Xbox) or Mass Effect 3 (which I have on Xbox) with my other friend who has it on PS3.

A better world...

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
The thing he seems to fail to take into account is that consoles AREN'T merely little computers equal in power and function. There are SIGNIFICANT hardware structure variations between them, and while some ports go seamlessly, others do not.

Try playing Skyrim on PS3. Then play it on Xbox.

AdamRhodes

Oct 4, 2010
Falseprophet said:

I like that idea a lot more than what is happening now, and it seems more plausible than Yahtzee's parallel candy-cane hands world. They can still have their consoles, but any game can be played on any console. No more exclusive titles, no more compatibility issues. Just different online services, I guess.

kazriko

Apr 6, 2009
It seems strange that Yahtzee doesn't think that the PS2's technical barriers were a problem. It had an asymmetric processor arrangement similar to the PS3's cell chip. Its graphics card was like little else on the market. (Closest is the Matrox Parhelia, which was the card that killed Matrox as a gaming contender. Lots of layers of textures and effects, not much geometry pushing power.)

If anything, it was more exotic and harder to use than the PS3's architecture. The PS2 succeeded despite difficulties of developers in extracting its power. The Xbox and Dreamcast were both much simpler to develop for, and the gamecube was marginally easier (aside from the quaint memory model.)