Setting up a Minecraft Server

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
So I've decided I'd like to set up a minecraft server on my PC. I have the exe downloaded from minecraft, but I don't know how to get people to connect to it. I know I need to do "port forwarding" but I have no idea how to do it. can anyone help me out? I've tried googling and haven't really gotten anything helpful.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server
Derp :p
That should help, if you weren't using bukkit already then you really should. It helps a lot what with the server mods you can use such as currency and teams

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
portforward.com has tutorials and guides for whatever router you have. Never done any networking stuff in my life, and once I got over my paranoia about security issues with port forwarding (no reason to worry, turns out), it was pretty easy. Haven't noticed any spam or anything from the site either, and it's been two months.

Definitely get bukkit, especially if you're going to be running a server that's not just friends or family.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
Keoul said:
http://wiki.bukkit.org/Setting_up_a_server
Derp :p
That should help, if you weren't using bukkit already then you really should. It helps a lot what with the server mods you can use such as currency and teams
I've had bad experiences with bukkit, so I refuse.
McMullen said:
portforward.com has tutorials and guides for whatever router you have. Never done any networking stuff in my life, and once I got over my paranoia about security issues with port forwarding (no reason to worry, turns out), it was pretty easy. Haven't noticed any spam or anything from the site either, and it's been two months.

Definitely get bukkit, especially if you're going to be running a server that's not just friends or family.
I'm not entirely sure what router I have, it's the default "Here's a router" from verizon when you get fios or whatever

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
dfcrackhead said:
What was your bad experience? Is it possible you made a mistake? Lots of people use it with no problems, and it's useful enough that the Minecraft wiki recommends it over the vanilla server.

Your router will almost certainly have a label on it that will identify what model it is. Look it up on the list at portforward.com and you should be all set.

I get the feeling though that from your seemingly arbitrary aversion to Bukkit and your having to ask how to ID your router without researching it yourself, it may be best for you to leave the running of Minecraft servers to other people. Not trying to be offensive here, but it requires a willingness to learn things that you seem not to be demonstrating.

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
McMullen said:
dfcrackhead said:
What was your bad experience? Is it possible you made a mistake? Lots of people use it with no problems, and it's useful enough that the Minecraft wiki recommends it over the vanilla server.

Your router will almost certainly have a label on it that will identify what model it is. Look it up on the list at portforward.com and you should be all set.

I get the feeling though that from your seemingly arbitrary aversion to Bukkit and your having to ask how to ID your router without researching it yourself, it may be best for you to leave the running of Minecraft servers to other people. Not trying to be offensive here, but it requires a willingness to learn things that you seem not to be demonstrating.
No, my aversion to bukkit is the last server I was on was filled with /nuking trolls and griefers who could tp anywhere. Vanilla seems safer and more fun.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
dfcrackhead said:
McMullen said:
dfcrackhead said:

No, my aversion to bukkit is the last server I was on was filled with /nuking trolls and griefers who could tp anywhere. Vanilla seems safer and more fun.
One of the reasons Bukkit is so popular is because it allows server admins to restrict the use of game functions and features to certain users or classes of users. If trolls were having their way on a Bukkit server, it's because the server admin wasn't doing his job.