Seven-Minute KH: Birth by Sleep Trailer Features Japanese Mickey

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
-Seraph- said:
HyenaThePirate said:
The moment I saw this I realized it was destined for fail.

1. Releasing it on the PSP? Is sony THAT desperate to move PSP systems off shelves that it would cripple one of their top franchises to do it? Hell, Sony, why stop there? Why not make it DOWNLOAD ONLY and force people to buy PSP Go's? Those sure as hell need something to move them off the shelves before they collect too much dust..

2. I suppose I knew it was a PSP only title considering that My first thoughts were "Is this coming out on the PS2?!" Graphically, this game looks like it should have come out 4 years ago. Thats when i knew this was probably going to be herded towards PSPs because there is no way they'd have made a Kingdom Hearts on the PS3 that looked like the very Opposite of "High Definition". It would have been a criminal waste of a Blu Ray disc.

Well, so much for that.. Guess i'll wait to watch the cut scenes on Youtube.
Oh quit your trolling, and stop complaining about exclusives. If you want to play it buy the damn system or shut up and don't complain. It's comments like these that just show how petty some people are. Is it such a crime for a company to decide to release it on the PSP huh? You do realize the PSP is not "dead" do you?
actually, i thought hyena made some pretty good points,

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
So sure, go right ahead Square and Sony, cut out a large portion of your fan base... but don't come crying when the sales are abysmal because their little gamble came up snake eyes.
They're not cutting out portions of their fanbase, they're enlarging it. That's the whole point of spinoffs. Rather than just try straight ports of KH and now KH2 on handhelds, they chose to use them to expand side-stories, with slightly different, mission-based systems that fit handhelds better. They're not crippling the franchise any more that they crippled it with the DS game, which sold 1.56 million units.

And it's nothing like a gamble. Those games are cheap to produce, reusing lots of assets from the PS2 versions (yes, even for the DS game), on platforms that are cheap to develop for and have a wide userbase, guaranteeing good base sales (something they know from Dissidia and FF7CC, for the PSP).

Releasing such a thing on HD consoles, however, would indeed be a gamble, nobody wants a graphically identical rehash of a PS2 game on that, so they'd have to redo everything from scratch, it'd cost a lot more and for a smaller target audience. That's why they're not doing it until KH3, which couldn't come before they were done with FF13. Which is not only using the smae creative team as KH, but also the template for their HD production pipeline.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Bobby_C said:
HyenaThePirate said:
So sure, go right ahead Square and Sony, cut out a large portion of your fan base... but don't come crying when the sales are abysmal because their little gamble came up snake eyes.
They're not cutting out portions of their fanbase, they're enlarging it. That's the whole point of spinoffs. Rather than just try straight ports of KH and now KH2 on handhelds, they chose to use them to expand side-stories, with slightly different, mission-based systems that fit handhelds better. They're not crippling the franchise any more that they crippled it with the DS game, which sold 1.56 million units.

And it's nothing like a gamble. Those games are cheap to produce, reusing lots of assets from the PS2 versions (yes, even for the DS game), on platforms that are cheap to develop for and have a wide userbase, guaranteeing good base sales (something they know from Dissidia and FF7CC, for the PSP).

Releasing such a thing on HD consoles, however, would indeed be a gamble, nobody wants a graphically identical rehash of a PS2 game on that, so they'd have to redo everything from scratch, it'd cost a lot more and for a smaller target audience. That's why they're not doing it until KH3, which couldn't come before they were done with FF13. Which is not only using the smae creative team as KH, but also the template for their HD production pipeline.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask...

Do you even PLAY Kingdom Hearts? Seriously? Because um.. you're talking about a MAJOR franchise with a HUGE Fan base, not Sonic the Hedgehog...

Secondly it's arguably the second or third most POPULAR Square Enix RPG series.. outside of Japan, I would say it's actually MORE popular than the Dragon Quest series.

They don't HAVE to reach a larger audience, any more than Final FANTASY XIII is trying to reach a "larger audience" by ignoring it's current fans.

Worse, your argument falls apart when you talk about how nobody would want a "Graphically identical rehash of a PS2 game on the new HD Console" So people would want a graphically rehash of a PS2 game on a console that graphically hovers somewhere between the PSX and PS2? Certainly enough people are still playing PS2 games on the PS3, so that excuse flies out the window.. I can play KH2 on my PS3 and still have a GREAT experience. It's not THAT graphically dated. I could CERTAINLY enjoy what I saw in that preview on my PS3. After all, I would have a nicer, larger screen to play it on instead of hunching over a tiny psp screen with my hands cramping up from what is BOUND to be an ackward and unintuitive control scheme.

Lastly, can you name a Square Enix game that was "cheap to produce?" Really, name ONE. You think that Kingdom Hearts is "Cheap to produce"? They take like 5 YEARS between freaking chapters, plus Disney is pretty damn hardcore about the use of their licenses. They lovingly and painstakingly craft most of their RPG's and never let it be said that Square Enix does not at least earn respect for the consistent level of quality of their titles, even if the games themselves are boring or less than fun. They at least WORK, and usually work WELL.

Arikuza

Apr 21, 2009
Hmm... notice how Ventus and young "Axel" are acquainted. interesting...

Slightly OT but
Does anyone think KH3 will be for the PS3, or will it be cross plat?

blank0000

Oct 3, 2007
Bobby_C said:
HyenaThePirate said:

actually, you bring up a lot of good points marketing wise I hadn't considered! "econ major" Though I still feel like their putting a significant amount of time into development, I had'nt thought about how much effort is saved by using the old models and engine. Seems to follow the trend of some franchises "Half life episodes, Halo ODST, pokemon " I tip my hat to you sir.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
Secondly it's arguably the second or third most POPULAR Square Enix RPG series.. outside of Japan, I would say it's actually MORE popular than the Dragon Quest series.
At its best-selling point, the first game, KH sold about 5.5 millions worldwide. That's the level of a "badly performing" FF game (FF9, FF12), the ones that got their development teams removed from the franchise. Helps put it into perspective.

The second game, KH2, sold 3.76 millions worldwide. That's an almost 30% drop right there. So the franchise was actually waning with the second game already. And that means KH2 sold less in the whole world that DQ9 sold in japan alone (4.10 millions). That it's ahead if we discount japan (why is hardly surprising for DQ9 since it hasn't been published outside) is a moot point if japan outweighs the world. And so DQ8, the first DQ to receive a good international release, does better in total than KH2, though still half a million less than KH1. Incidentally, it also did better in japan alone than KH2 worldwide.

HyenaThePirate said:
They don't HAVE to reach a larger audience, any more than Final FANTASY XIII is trying to reach a "larger audience" by ignoring it's current fans.
They do, simply because of escalating costs and the smaller market (PS3 user base is one quearter of what it was with the PS2), and FF13 is really trying hard to do so (notably why the first 20 hours of FF13 are fiercely dumbed down and the game only shows its true freedom after that). As I said, they were unhappy enough with FF12's results that the dev team got taken off the franchise. In HD they need even higher numbers to continue, lest they pad their revenue with, well, handheld spinoffs and wii games (which is why DQ is moving to wii).

HyenaThePirate said:
you're talking about a MAJOR franchise with a HUGE Fan base, not Sonic the Hedgehog...
Incidentally Sonic's best, Sonic 2, is above KH at six millions, and back then there were much fewer genesis/megadrives than there are PS2s (in fact, the PS2 market is more than four times bigger). It's true the sonic franchise has mostly died since, but then something like Sonic & Mario at the olympic games reached 7.39 millions which, once again, put KH back in perspective.

HyenaThePirate said:
So people would want a graphically rehash of a PS2 game on a console that graphically hovers somewhere between the PSX and PS2?
Yes, that is in fact the whole rationale behind BBS and one they know to be valid because Dissidia and FF7CC did pretty well for PSP games.

HyenaThePirate said:
Certainly enough people are still playing PS2 games on the PS3
They're accepting it because it's clear to them it's games from the previous generations. But try to sell it as a PS3 game and suddenly they don't accept it anymore, and in fact use "PS2 graphics" as a derogatory term. I've seen several sites call BBS the most beautiful PSP game, when they'll in fact call some parts of FF13 ugly. Different platforms, different expectations.

HyenaThePirate said:
Lastly, can you name a Square Enix game that was "cheap to produce?"
I can name tons, pal. All their DS and wii games, in fact. You seem to misunderstand cheap as effortless when I in fact mean it as the "inexpensive" meaning. That's the very defining characteristic of a DS game, for one, that they cost at least ten to twenty times less than HD games to produce. And the KH spinoffs even further. The DS game is a terrific example, because most of its assets are downgraded versions of the PS2 game's assets, including sounds, levels (there's only a handful of rooms that are original), characters, etc. Even the only one new character, Xion, has been decribed by Nomura as being handy because they just took Kairi's head model, changed the hair and stuck it on a resized org 13 body, and her boss form is a reskin of Sora recycling a lot of his old animations. No new theme song, only a few new music tracks, no new world, the list continues.

Or take My life as a dark lord, which also directly reuses a number of assets from the other FFCC games.

Even an new-content-filled game like DQ9, their boldest DS creation yet, reuses the 3D engine common to all their recent DS productions. And that's normal, that's their strength.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
I love KH (even if 2 was waaay too easy) but jesus christ the story is becoming more convoluted than following one spaghetti strand in a bolognese.

Furthermore everytime the mentioned 'The Keyblade Wars' all i could think was Doctor Who

Maroussia

Apr 26, 2010
It will be great to watch Peter Pan, i have bought tickets from
http://ticketfront.com/event/Peter_Pan-tickets looking forward to it.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
I am considering using all my money (after I've bought starcraft 2 that is) so I can get a psp for this game.