Shadow of the Colossus...meh

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
I very recently bought Shadow of the Colossus because I had never heard a negative word against it (which, come to think of it, should have sent up a red flag right there), and all those glowing reviews make it all the sadder that I'm overall not pleased with it.

I would say that I won't spoil any of the story or anything, but there is precious little that I could spoil if I wanted to. The story in SotC is barely there, and this may be because I've been working the narrative sections of my brain extra hard recently, but I think the game suffered greatly for it. Add to that there is virtually no benefit from exploring the overworld and you're left with gameplay that is pretty much exclusively fighting these colossi. Once you figure out the method to beat each one (which at times can feel more annoying than challenging) there is pretty much no variation when you face them again which, as I mentioned, is nearly all you can do. Oh, and the platforming and, God especially the horse, handle like crap. And what the hell is with calling numbers 11 and 14 colossi? That's ridiculous. That's like saying I'm successful with the ladies.

So the only things this game has going for it is a unique premise and good aesthetics (which doesn't find its way into everything)

So this game has let me down, and since my game budget is so slim, makes me upset.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
Its about the overall experience. the game doesn't focus on unimportant details but the thing as a whole was breathtaking.

ww666

Feb 18, 2010
You are probably spending too much time with space marines dude. xD

delet

Nov 2, 2008
The game is hit or miss, really. It's not surprising that some people don't like it.

The story is up to you to create. It only really gets into anything story-wise in the last half, but otherwise it's pretty much nonexistant.

There's nothing to explore to give you a sense that you are all alone in this forbidden land. You can find a turtle or lizards around every now and again, but that's it. You're supposed to fill alone in a desolate wasteland.

The Colossi are all really just giant, moving puzzles that are trying to kill you. The game is just a big puzzle game masked behind a action-platformer setting, methinks.

The Colossi who you refer to, I'm assuming they're the tiny lion-type ones, neh? They're still rather large if you compare, say, a horse. They're the most challenging of all the Colossi though considering they are fast and can easily attack you.

And finally, of course a few of the controls are going to be sticky now; the game has aged. I never found anything wrong with Agro and the platforming was all fine when I played it. Maybe you're just jaded a bit?

teh_pwning_dude said:
I kinda feel I must point out, you didn't exactly contribute to this thread yourself...

Sep 17, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Good job killing off the entire species, though. You monster.
I wonder how fast this is going to become a meme?

OT: Not all games are for everyone, but it always sucks to get your hopes up for something that disappoints you.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I'm going to have to kill you now.
Ok, no I'm not.
In all seriousness, though, why should we care if you didn't like it?
If you didn't like it either you just didn't care for it (which is the way it sounds) or you didn't "get" it (which may or may not be true).
Also, you killed those poor innocent colossi. You bastard.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
I honestly never got around to finishing it. Sometimes I was really impressed, but most of the time, I ended up getting bored of following a beam of sunlight around, and popped in a more stimulating game.

Indignation837

Apr 11, 2010
Part of the reason a lot of people like SotC is for its minimal story. No, it's not going to win any awards for its amazing plot twists. But, it's different from any other game out there, and depending on the kind of person you are, it may be worth enjoying simply because there's nothing else like it.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
Personally, I can't wait for The Last Guardian. Even though you just know that griffin will die. It will be sad. People will cry. The game will be beautiful. These are things that we already know.

Lucifer dern

Jun 11, 2010
ill be honest i liked it but it was kinda like wtf... is this a game or what? it got a bit lame traveling miles to go climb onto some random thing and kill it for no reason as far as i could see
but something kept me playing which is more then most games manage so muh cant complain i guess!

ca_jas

Feb 28, 2010
It's sad that there are people who can't appreciate this game. I see it as being a more feminine game so it is understandable that some people disliked it. I really hope there will be a port of Ico/SotC in anticipation for the Last Guardian for ps3. I would totally buy those games AGAIN!

Herb sewell

Mar 30, 2009
teh_pwning_dude said:
FargoDog said:
You have an opinion.

That's nice.
Hey.

Shut up.

This is one step below "reported" when it comes to useless posts. Yes, he's expressed his opinion, good for him, it's certainly worth more than your post. He's allowed to, if you're not going to contribute something, keep quiet.
You realize you said the same thing with more words right?

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
It really depends on how you look at it.

You can either look at it and say, "Hey, that was pretty cool" or "this whole game is just this same minigame over and over?"

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
Aby_Z said:
There's nothing to explore to give you a sense that you are all alone in this forbidden land. You can find a turtle or lizards around every now and again, but that's it. You're supposed to fill alone in a desolate wasteland.

The Colossi who you refer to, I'm assuming they're the tiny lion-type ones, neh? They're still rather large if you compare, say, a horse. They're the most challenging of all the Colossi though considering they are fast and can easily attack you.

And finally, of course a few of the controls are going to be sticky now; the game has aged. I never found anything wrong with Agro and the platforming was all fine when I played it. Maybe you're just jaded a bit?
1) Mission accomplished. I felt totally alone, not a single person in the game until the very end.

2) They weren't much bigger than Agro. And once they did hit you, the amount of time it took for your guy to get back up was about a tenth of a second before they would charge you again. That's one of those things that I mentioned was more annoying than challenging. I had to find out from the internet that there was a more effective way to shave another second or so off that recovery time than saying, "movemovemovemovemovemove," a piece of information that would have been good for the game to give me.

3) It's not like the game's joints are getting stiff in its old age or that I bought a geriatric version of the game. If I thought the controls were loose now, I would have then, too.