Shadow of the Colossus

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
I hadn't heard of this game until very recently. S month and a half ago or around that. I've heard lots of good things about it, and i keep thinking about buying it, but its pretty expensive for a game that seems like it wouldn't take that long to complete. So my question is, is it worth buying? or should i rent it, and is it worth playing at all?

Nov 6, 2007
You can beat it in the span of a rental. It's DEFINITELY worth playing. Buy if you really like it that much or it you are a collector. It's impossible for me to explain the scope and beauty of this game. You have to see it with your own eyes.

ioxles

Nov 25, 2008
Buy it, treasure it, don't loose the power cable of your ps2 before you've finished it (dammit I can't buy a new one anywhere).

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
I just ordered it off Ebay myself, still waiting for it to get here. I watched a friend play it and it's extremely cool, so I recommend it.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Buy it. You may beat it in time if you are good (I can complete it in about 3-4 hours) but if you are bad it can take forever (one of my friends hasn't beaten it and he owns it for about a month).

It's a gem.

thebigtw

Nov 18, 2008
Well, for me it's by far and away one of the most unique and compelling games ever. As for whether it's a rental or a buy, it does have fairly limited replay value since the core of the gameplay is finding the colossi and then figuring out how to beat them, which you can only really do once unless you have short term memory issues.
Short answer:
DK412 said:
is it worth playing at all?
Fuck yes.

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
In gaming standards, I found the game to be as essential as breathing. I had always put off playing it (procrastinating mainly), and once I did get around to playing, it was an absolute joy. I actually regret that I didn't play as soon as I could have.

So in summarry. You need to experience this work of art. Best 'o luck.

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
So, even though it cost around £20 on amazon, and i spose i can get it for around a tenner on ebay, its worth it even though you can complete it in say 5 hours. Is it so beautiful, that its worth a tenner, for less than a days playing? i admit, it looks and does sound amazing

Nov 6, 2007
The good thing about buying it is that you can take time to perfect the speed runs at the end of the game and just have alot of fun playing the enemies without having to find them first. Although getting there is about 3/4 of the fun. Am I the only one who felt really, really bad killing some of these, and really, really good killing others?

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
As i said already, it sounds and looks really good, and it reminds me somewhat of the good things about Monster Hunter...hunting monsters :p, and decent boss fights, because thats the main idea of the game, I guess I just wanted a really good reason, to shell out £20 that I want to love it so much i cant stop playing it. And thats the thing I'm worried about if I buy it, that as said already, it doesn't have much replay value.. I do really want to play it, i just wish I could borrow it off a friend, but I didn't even know the game existed till recently

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
DK412 said:
So, even though it cost around £20 on amazon, and i spose i can get it for around a tenner on ebay, its worth it even though you can complete it in say 5 hours. Is it so beautiful, that its worth a tenner, for less than a days playing? i admit, it looks and does sound amazing
You won't finish it in a day believe me. Buy it as fast as you can and for the lowest price. It's not a game you should rent.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
DK412 said:
As i said already, it sounds and looks really good, and it reminds me somewhat of the good things about Monster Hunter...hunting monsters :p, and decent boss fights, because thats the main idea of the game, I guess I just wanted a really good reason, to shell out £20 that I want to love it so much i cant stop playing it. And thats the thing I'm worried about if I buy it, that as said already, it doesn't have much replay value.. I do really want to play it, i just wish I could borrow it off a friend, but I didn't even know the game existed till recently
It does have much replay value. You can unlock many new items like exploding arrows, a better sword, a cloak that does something cool and you can use those to kill all enemies again.

And there is always the trial mode.

DK412

Feb 2, 2009
Aha, I think I'll have to follow what you guys are saying, because so far all I've wanted is a real good push to get it, and I think I will, everything about it seems, epic, also, something to share with friends and be like, that boss looks cool because blah blah :p

Theo Samaritan

Jul 16, 2008
DK412 said:
Aha, I think I'll have to follow what you guys are saying, because so far all I've wanted is a real good push to get it, and I think I will, everything about it seems, epic, also, something to share with friends and be like, that boss looks cool because blah blah :p
You need a push? If I had one of those mile long freight trains, I'd attach you to the front of it and put SOTC on the end of the line. Its money well spent.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
If you can find it :-/

For all the praise that game gets it's bloody impossible to get a hold of! At least here in Sweden :S

Nov 6, 2007
No official PC port but it does work in a not so legal way which I will not discuss here by any means. It's worth your money and your time, just don't expect to play it many times after you beat it. Don't let that deter you from getting it though as everyone should have the chance to play this game.