Shadow Warrior Preview - All the Wang You Can Handle

JonB

Don't Take Crap from Life
Sep 16, 2012
Shadow Warrior Preview - All the Wang You Can Handle

How do you take a mostly offensive game and reboot it? I don?t know, but Flying Wild Hog can do it, apparently.

Read Full Article

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Can you still throw shurikens on the floor and when lo wang walks over them he says "arghh who put those there?"? That used to always make me chuckle.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Duke Nukem Forever failed because it did not focus on fun, and became a linear game where you spent most of it walking than killing. Duke Nukem 3D, the one everyone loves, you get levels with high replay value where you run and gun alot with different weapons, finding secrets and having fun. Sure they are technically linear, but it was loosely so. Shadow Warrior is like that too. If thats how they make it then good. If they try to make it something its not, then it will fail. Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior are about fun, blood, and sillyness. Not about story or long linear hallways with only one way to go about it.

omnifarious

Dec 7, 2012
I remember playing the original game way back when, and if all goes well I'd love to give this reboot a try. Mid 90's Shadow Warrior did a lot of things to challenge game play for that era and I can only hope this more modern version will keep that spirit alive!

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
I am still waiting for the Michael Bay inspired remake of Tetris. Every time you make a combo, things explode. Now that is something I want to play.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Beware.

Flying Wild Hog already announced to 'reinvent' Lo Wang, intending to "avoid racial stereotyping and misogyny and things like that". So - it might look like a spiced up Shadow Warrior, but it's not.

Better get the proper version over at Steam. A proper Duke Nukem has just been greenlit, as well.

You don't pay respect by upping graphical fidelity while censoring it beyond recognition. There's no fun in that, and I hope there's no revenue in it either.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
I loved this game when I was younger. The low brow, racially insensitive humor was brilliant (although in retrospect I didnt understand a majority of the jokes then). Personally I cant wait to get nostalgic.

So....Rise of the Triads and Shadow Warrior.....All I need is a reboot of Commander Keen and my life will be complete.

In conclusions: Ooooooooooo sticky bomb like you!

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
"Overall, Shadow Warrior is shaping up to be a reboot of a game very few remember."

Wait what? A Game very few remember? Are we remembering the same shadow warrior that made a suprising amount of noise over its lifetime?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
"Poor, must be American-built!"
Picking up two Uzis - "Be proud, Mr.Woo!"

Oh, Lu Wang, I've missed you <3

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Meh, played Hard Reset and found it to be pretty poor so I doubt the game will be that great when it's released.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Lo Wang is a Chinese name. So are we assuming that this is a Chinese guy infiltrating fantasy Japan? Oh the madness of such an idea!

molly31

Mar 18, 2013
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Beware.

Flying Wild Hog already announced to 'reinvent' Lo Wang, intending to "avoid racial stereotyping and misogyny and things like that". So - it might look like a spiced up Shadow Warrior, but it's not.

Better get the proper version over at Steam. A proper Duke Nukem has just been greenlit, as well.

You don't pay respect by upping graphical fidelity while censoring it beyond recognition. There's no fun in that, and I hope there's no revenue in it either.
Prepare for dissapointment. http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/sw-6.jpg?w=536
Combo system wtf? http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/sw-3.jpg?w=536
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/14/shadow-warrior-preview/#vb-gallery:1:794412

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I've played the preview version as well and I agree strongly with Jon's take - this is how you reboot an old, out-of time videogame character. It's still cheesy, it's still goofy, and yes, the Chinese character/Japanese setting is still there, but it avoid the stereotyping that so many found offensive in the original. (I didn't, for the record, but I can see why others would.) Lo Wang this time around is more of a Chow Yun Fat type, with a distinctly nerdy-cool manner, but he's still bizarre enough to be funny and his interactions with Hoji are great. It's crazy violent, too. I really think FWH and Devolver are on to something with it.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
molly31 said:
Headdrivehardscrew said:
Beware.

Prepare for dissapointment. http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/sw-6.jpg?w=536
Combo system wtf? http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/sw-3.jpg?w=536
Source: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/14/shadow-warrior-preview/#vb-gallery:1:794412
Don't get me wrong - if it turns out to be a fun game, it's a fun game. I can accept that. But I like my Lo Wang and my Duke Nukem as they are. TV dinners and pre-heated slippers and other such meta metta world peace equivalents are not part of the deal here, they never were, they never should be. It's like drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa. I like my Lo Wang to be like my Lo Wang, because if he's not Lo Wang, he's something that's clearly not Lo Wang. And I like my Lola Lisa like my Mo Wang. What's the deal here. Who are you.