Shadow Warrior Trailer: You've Got Wang!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Shadow Warrior Trailer: You've Got Wang!

Lo Wang wants to know: Do you feel lucky, chump?

We've already cooked up a Shadow Warrior preview [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10524-Shadow-Warrior-Preview-All-the-Wang-You-Can-Handle] that looks very promising but I couldn't resist talking a bit about this new trailer because it so nicely encapsulates what I've seen of the game so far. As you can see, Flying Wild Hog's updated Lo Wang is a seriously suave dude, good with a gun and better with a blade, who cuts down enemies like weeds in a garden and looks good doing it. Most of the time.

Much of the action in this trailer is slower than what you'll actually experience in the game, presumably so you can fully appreciate the dismemberment and explosions of blood and fire that seem to follow Mr. Wang wherever he goes. Things happen much more quickly when you're actually playing - although maybe it's just my lightning-fast hardcore moves that make it seem that way.

Either way, this is Wang, and he's looking good. He also finally has a release date: Shadow Warrior will launch on September 26 on Steam, GOG, the Humble Store and Get Games. Now who wants some?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm not going to go the typical cynical route, instead I'm actually going to say I'm liking the look of this. The gameplay seems like it's going in the retro direction and having replayed the original recently, which I still like, the "oriental" aspects are over done by today's standards, even if it was tongue in cheek.

Funny still, this game seems to have triads in it unlike another certain recent game.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
as somebody who never played the original but thought hard reset was the shit and who loves melee combat in shooters i am really looking forward to this. and if it sucks i'll go and call people noobs in dota, that seems to have a cathartic effect on people.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As a MASSIVE fan of the good ol' Shadow Warrior, played in DOS no less, I like what I see, although it doesn't feel exactly like the old Shadow Warrior, it definitely feels like a 90's shooter, similar to Serious Sam or Painkiller (and I know the devs are ex-People Can Fly).

Looks promising, I'll keep an eye on it.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
I played both Shadow Warrior back in the day, and Hard Reset in recent years. I loved them both, so I have no doubt I'm gonna love this :)

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Turret sections and linear-tunnel levels? Bleh...

Sword action does look fun though, kinda reminds me of fps games from the late 90s to start 00s.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
teebeeohh said:
as somebody who never played the original but thought hard reset was the shit and who loves melee combat in shooters i am really looking forward to this. and if it sucks i'll go and call people noobs in dota, that seems to have a cathartic effect on people.
You now the original is free on Steam? :) You can give it a go, it's pretty decent gameplay wise.

OT, I like the look of this more and more, except for the voice acting, that seem a little weird. But it looks promising.

CTYR

Mar 25, 2012
Well... as nice as this all seems, I can't help but feel that it seems too nice. Every enemy in the trailer was mowed down without barely any sort of resistance and every weapon used just kinda seemed without punch, despite how big they were and how flashy their shots came out. I dunno if they were trying to make it seem as if you're a complete and totally unstoppable badass with this, but to me, it looked more as if you're simply fighting the worst army ever with a bunch of nerf toys. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.