Shadowrun: Hong Kong cRPG Tears Through Kickstarter Goal In Hours

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Shadowrun: Hong Kong cRPG Tears Through Kickstarter Goal In Hours

[kickstarter=webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong]Harebrained Schemes' Shadowrun: Hong Kong, a follow-up to Returns and Dragonfall, is quickly hacking its way through every single Kickstarter stretch goal.

It's a good time to be a Shadowrun fan these days. Not only is the 5th Edition tabletop game on a shortlist for popular modern systems, Harebrained Schemes recently brought the setting to cRPGs with <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/10507-Shadowrun-Returns-Review>Shadowrun Returns and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129790-Dragonfall-Expansion-Takes-Shadowrun-To-Berlin>its Dragonfall expansion. But the developer isn't stopping there - Harebrained Schemes has turned to Kickstarter once again to produce a Shadowrun game set in a magically awakened Hong Kong. And of course, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117003-Shadowrun-Returns-Kickstarter-Finishes-Big>since Shadowrun Kickstarters are a pretty safe bet, the campaign surpassed its $100,000 goal within 2 hours.

Shadowrun is set in a futuristic world where magic returned on Dec. 21, 2012. But instead of supplanting technology, sorcerers, elves, and dwarves work for mega-corporations alongside hackers and cybernetically-enhanced humans. Shadowrun: Hong Kong takes your character to Kowloon City for a quick payday only to encounter a supernatural enemy that threatens the entire region.

Anyone who enjoyed the previous two Shadowrun cRPGs will probably find lots to be excited about in Hong Kong. Not only does it adopt the same isometric, turn-based gameplay, it adds new weapons, spells, and characters to the mix. Players will be put in charge of a new crew of runners with varied skills and backstories, most of whom include side quests that can be unlocked as stretch goals. As with the last two games, Shadowrun: Hong Kong also features an in-game editor that lets players design their own stories and campaigns.

At this rate, Shadowrun: Hong Kong will be packed to the brim with extras - stretch goals are being unlocked at a phenomenal pace, having collected over $400,000 in a mere two days. If it plays as advertised, then the finished game should prove a worthy follow-up to Harebrained Schemes' work. Whether you back the Kickstarter or not, we'll find out when it launches in Aug. 2015.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong>Kickstarter

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Holy shit. I mean I liked Dragonfall but I didn't think that that many other people liked it so much. And it's already got four times its goal? Well, let's see what the other stretch goals are...700,000...revamped Matrix...MY MONEY! ALL OF IT! TAKE!

On a side note I REALLY like the look of the new crew. After the one in Dragonfall blew me away with how well written they were, I'm eagerly awaiting these new ones.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
They're a little under $5000 away from enhanced cyber. I just want my damn chainsaw arms. I don't care if they end up being impractical or not all that good, I wanna shred Triads like I'm Paul Bunyan on crank.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
erttheking said:
Well, let's see what the other stretch goals are...700,000...revamped Matrix...MY MONEY! ALL OF IT! TAKE!
Yep. Dragonfall fixed a lot of the problems with the base game, but Jesus Christ the matrix sections were boring as fuck. The dull, repetitive music sure didn't help either, especially in a game with otherwise great music.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I have already plopped down 15 bucks to the project. Sadly none of the higher rewards interested me. Not even the digital novel at 25. but I've contributed regardless.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I don't get why, if SRR and Dragonfall were so successful, they need kickstarter money again. And for the record, I backed SRR.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
It seems like the stabilizing Kickstarter idea is settling down where I predicted it, becoming a helpful extra leg for semi-reliable small studios.

Not exactly "blindly donate money to unknowns' brand new ideas that are so crazy they might work", but neither it is "Ubisoft holding the next AssCreed at ransom from the fans", it's a sweet spot between the two extremes, as a constructive form of pre-ordering the games that genuinely need that kind of advance money to be better, or could use community feedback.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
deth2munkies said:
I don't get why, if SRR and Dragonfall were so successful, they need kickstarter money again. And for the record, I backed SRR.
It doesn't, they explicitly said in the video/on the page, that Hong Kong was already on schedule for an August release whatever happens with the Kickstarter, it's basically for the stretch goals alone.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Entitled said:
deth2munkies said:
It doesn't, they explicitly said in the video/on the page, that Hong Kong was already on schedule for an August release whatever happens with the Kickstarter, it's basically for the stretch goals alone.
Which is still bullshit. They have a huge chunk of assets and the engine already made, those stretch goals should be easily obtainable on profits from the first 2.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
deth2munkies said:
I believe the justification was that the kickstarter was not to completely fund the new game being made, but to add features that the community wanted. They wanted to bring this to their community, rather than try to find a publisher to give them money for further improvements. And I also believe they talk about it on their kickstarter page.

And making games is expensive.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
Initially I thought that the amount of money they were asking for to release the stretch goals was a little much ($50k is a good half year's paycheck), then I remembered physical backer rewards...

I'm really looking forward to what they release as stretch goals if they get more than $700k (Multiplayer at a million? Please?)

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed Dead Man's Switch and adorrrrrred Dragonfall, so I'm easily on-board for another campaign. Since the Kickstarter doesn't end for another month+, I've started with a preliminary pledge of $35. (I figure my friends who're more into tabletop roleplaying could benefit from the tabletop stuff.)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
VoidOfOne said:
I believe the justification was that the kickstarter was not to completely fund the new game being made, but to add features that the community wanted. They wanted to bring this to their community, rather than try to find a publisher to give them money for further improvements. And I also believe they talk about it on their kickstarter page.

And making games is expensive.
Heck, the pitch video explains it. The game is coming out regardless, they're just pitching extra features. Plus these guys earned my trust with Returns and ant to see what new stuff they could add to Hong Kong.

Also, they've now hit expanded cyber stretch goal.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Back everything these guys put on kickstarter, past, present and future(at least till the betray me!!!) not been disapointed with them at all as of yet! Have high hopes for more wornderful madness from Shadowrun.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Very cool! Glad to see they are plugging along. I have Finished SRR and I am looking forward to start Dragonfall Directors cut when I have time.

I am really glad to see these type of successful kickstarter vs the grab n runs we have been getting lately.

For more Shadowrun goodness, I also grabbed their table top starter box and Alphaware. Pretty decent but I wish each had a bit less overlap. Will there ever be anything as cool as the Pathfinder starter box? heh The big hard back book - 5th edition core rule book is great though.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I really liked Returns and Dragonfall so I picked up on this too. I stopped really using Kickstarter/Early Access because you didn't really know if the product would actually be delivered or make its release date. Now since they are saying they have the base game finished and this is just for additional content it is something I can definitely feel comfortable giving money to, for we know there is a finished product and giving them money early means more content.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Oh hell yes. Better Matrix? Hell yes
Let's see if we can move the plot bast 2050, though. I'd love to see what the guys at Harebrained do with AR overlays.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Dragonfall was quite excellent (the Director's Cut is even better), and a very welcome improvement from Dead Man's Switch.

Enough that it made my top 3 games of 2014 (which is almost damning by faint praise, since 2014 was a HORRID year for games in general).

In any case, hopefully, they'll flesh it out a bit more with Hong Kong.

An improved Matrix system would help greatly, especially if they elaborated on the "legwork" segments of runs.
Calling in favors, doing investigations on the target(s), and lots of other little things.

Ironically, it's those things where a Decker really earns their keep but also tend to get completely overlooked compared to stuff that happens on the missions at large.