Shadowrun Online Steps Into the Light

Pumpkin_Eater

Mar 17, 2009
Shadowrun was an excellent game that flopped for two very stupid reasons: Vista only compatibility and a menu screen that looked like Halo's.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Pumpkin_Eater said:
Shadowrun was an excellent game that flopped for two very stupid reasons: Vista only compatibility and a menu screen that looked like Halo's.
NO that shadowrun game flopped because microsoft took a beloved and great ip with a ton of depth and lore behind it and turned it into a bleeping fps game, to every perosn that ever played shadowrun it was slap in the face and sure sign that microsoft had no intention of doing ANYTHING with the SR IP that was worth anything.

So almost to fan noone bought that game for that very reason.

Oh and also at about the same time there was a small company working on a shadowrun mmo proof of concept on their own time and dime and they had a fully working engine and art assests made and even some working code, and microsoft strung them along until they hit them with a cease and desist order soon after they announced their sudden new "shadowrun" title.

And yea they copped a lot of the classes and blance of the game to make the fps they made and it probably was great and way different because it had so much rpg behind it draw from, but people were waiting for an rpg or a mmo to strip that all down to fps was an insult, especially since the xbox is console that a fps is a dime a dozen, wth did they have to turn a rpg franchise into another fps exactly in the first place?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
JaredXE said:
Now, the big question is: Can my mage cast Mass Orgasm on a group of security guards as a means to get away?

Also, they allowing character gen by Karma points or just plain xp?
I knew SOMEONE was gonna ask about that.

Still, I don't think this'll be all that long-lasting, for all the reasons that Shadowrun hasn't been intensely popular in the past.

Uge Plex

Apr 30, 2012
Hoi Chummers!

I wanted to get this in before the rash of F2P comments really kick off today... I posted it as a reply elsewhere and realized it pretty much expresses what I want to share on the subject. I know it's tl;dr, but please skim it before raging against free to play *in this case*

Shadowrun Onlines?s devs said this in their FAQ:

?Well simply put, the game will be free. As in: You don?t have to pay anything to get it. The premium subscription allows you to have an easier time and is an option for players who want to spend less time grinding. It will not allow you to power buy into winning.? They also pointed out ??the best items will always only be available as in-game rewards, loot etc. There will also be restrictions on using them, to prevent players from just stocking up their characters and waltzing in. You need a certain reputation or experience to get to the good stuff.?

I?m pointing this out because?well? I hope you?ll read on. I HATE/DESPISE/LOATH and am REPELLED by the freemium model so many games have used, but?

Free to play (or freemium) games have been changing lately. The original intention of them was to provide a full game experience to demo the capabilities of a game, while offering cool non-game-breaking incentives to customize a character, in-game home, or what have you to support the games development. You know, awesome but superficial premiums.

Unfortunately, a plethora of greedy bastards went and misguidedly abused the free to play model, and I totally agree that it has a bad reputation for a reason.

However, I?ve noticed that some developers recently, have taken the hint and focused once again on gameplay, in the hopes a good, free game will win us over, and interest us in paying for superficial extras. They also offer non-game-breaking boosts that help to reduce grinding, without powering up a character unfairly. This saves a lot of people time, who don?t have the time to spend hours grinding, but still love to play games.

One such game is Strikefleet Omega from Harebrained Schemes. It?s a fun, free game, that does allow you to purchase ?Megabucks? to help cut down on time spent grinding for Megabucks, however, you can play through the entire game without spending any real money if you don?t want to. It?s a fun game, and the free to play model for it is done right, without screwing gamers. Note: Some people think the game isn?t possible to complete without buying Megabucks. If you suck at a challenging game that many other gamers had a great time completing without spending a dime, then the problem is yours, not with the game or developer. Learn to strategize!

I wrote all that, because Shadowrun Online?s devs, seem to be focusing on making an awesome game, with a free to play model that is returning to the right way to develop such games, so people really can enjoy them for free, and if they really like the game, have additional, superficial options they can pay for, to save a little time, and to customize their characters even more. This is not the freemium model we?ve all gotten used to, and I suggest reading their FAQ on the bottom of the main page before you bash ?em. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964352341/shadowrun-online ^_^