Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 13

Hellgato

New member
Mar 23, 2009
9
0
0
DungeonHamster said:
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.
The game is set during the journeys of the fellowship. But each 'land' is a different time in the story. When you are in Rivendell, the fellowship is there. In the Shire, the hobbits have just left. In Moria, the felloship is already through. In Lothlorien, the fellowship is there, in Mirkwood, the fellowship has left Lothlorien.
 

Blackbird71

New member
May 22, 2009
93
0
0
DungeonHamster said:
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.
Frodo turned 33 when Bilbo turned 111 (as their combined ages that year totaled 144, or "one gross"), so when Frodo left the Shire, Bilbo would have been 127. But yeah, 100 years sounds about right.

Oh, and can you imagine if Peter Jackson's movies actually made it seem like they really spanned the ~2 decades contained in the books?
 

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
16,394
8,898
118
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Gender
✅
Shamus Young said:
If you answered 1, 2, or 3, then congratulations! Your brain has not been warped from playing too many MMO games. You're wrong, but healthy. I envy you.

Oh, how I envy you.
I laughed. I laughed SO hard. And then I cried a little inside.
 

Blammage

New member
May 28, 2009
8
0
0
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!
 

halfeclipse

New member
Nov 8, 2008
373
0
0
Blackbird71 said:
DungeonHamster said:
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.
Frodo turned 33 when Bilbo turned 111 (as their combined ages that year totaled 144, or "one gross"), so when Frodo left the Shire, Bilbo would have been 127. But yeah, 100 years sounds about right.

Oh, and can you imagine if Peter Jackson's movies actually made it seem like they really spanned the ~2 decades contained in the books?

This would be correct.

"Twelve more years passed. Each year the Bagginses had given very lively combined birthday-parties at Bag End; but now it was understood that something quite exceptional was being planned for that autumn. Bilbo was going to be eleventy-one, 111, a rather curious number and a very respectable age for a hobbit (the Old Took himself had only reached 130); and Frodo was going to be thirty-three, 33) an important number: the date of his 'coming of age'."

E-books and ctrl+f for the win!


Edit:
Blammage said:
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!
Wrong series mate, likely you're thinking of the Wheel of Time series.
 

kotorfan04

New member
Aug 7, 2009
537
0
0
Oh I do hope we see more fun coming up in this series, also I would love to see Shamus Plays bumped up to twice a week. Please Shamus bump it up to twice a week.
 

lluewhyn

New member
Aug 26, 2008
33
0
0
Hellgato said:
The game is set during the journeys of the fellowship. But each 'land' is a different time in the story. When you are in Rivendell, the fellowship is there. In the Shire, the hobbits have just left. In Moria, the felloship is already through. In Lothlorien, the fellowship is there, in Mirkwood, the fellowship has left Lothlorien.
And then some of the book quests wreck this all to pieces by requiring you to travel back and forth between these lands umpteen million times. Quests that suggest you make multiple trips back and forth between Rivendell and Forochel are ridiculous.
 

Darth_Dude

New member
Jul 11, 2008
1,302
0
0
Blackbird71 said:
DungeonHamster said:
I don't have my copy of the Return of the King with me right now, so I can't check the appendices for exact dates, but according to The Hobbit the Old Took died at the age of 130 when Bilbo was still young. When the four hobbits left the Shire, Frodo had just turned 50, so Bilbo should be 118 or something close to that, so the Old Took dying a century ago should be more or less accurate, assuming that the MMO is set during the journeys of the fellowship.
Frodo turned 33 when Bilbo turned 111 (as their combined ages that year totaled 144, or "one gross"), so when Frodo left the Shire, Bilbo would have been 127. But yeah, 100 years sounds about right.

Oh, and can you imagine if Peter Jackson's movies actually made it seem like they really spanned the ~2 decades contained in the books?
What? 2 decades??
 

Spinozaad

New member
Jun 16, 2008
1,107
0
0
Lovely how you continue to utterly deconstruct, if not destroy, the sillyness of MMO-quests. Definately the best feature on the Escapist as it is.
 

rason

New member
Jul 22, 2009
15
0
0
Blammage said:
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!
His previous installment of this has run it's course, but if you were willing to read all 13 of these in a row, you should definatly check it out. Star On Chest is my hero http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=5015
 

Xorghul

New member
Jul 2, 2008
728
0
0
halfeclipse said:
Blammage said:
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!
Wrong series mate, likely you're thinking of the Wheel of Time series.
He's talking about Shamus series, not Lord of the Rings.
 

halfeclipse

New member
Nov 8, 2008
373
0
0
Xorghul said:
halfeclipse said:
Blammage said:
I just discovered this series, and read all 13 installments over the last couple of days, while at work. I was laughing so freaking hard, that I nearly fell out of my chair. Coworkers from down the hall, were stopping by, and peering into my office to find out "what was wrong with" me.

Awesome job Shamus! I love this stuff, it's pure entertainment gold! Thank you, and for God's sake, keep it up!
Wrong series mate, likely you're thinking of the Wheel of Time series.
He's talking about Shamus series, not Lord of the Rings.
Oh...yea... right... that, that would make sense. I am apparently an idiot, please disregard >_>
 

Helgi

New member
Sep 27, 2009
97
0
0
He returns. "The ghost problem is all cleared up and here is a big pile of money," he fails to say. Instead he has a new theory on why this ghost remains obstinately un-exorcised.
That caused me to actually laugh out loud. :)