Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 16

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
Shamus Young said:
"Which means that this entire quest has basically the same plot as every episode of Scooby-Doo."
And he'd have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you darn Hobbits and your talking...

...wait.

Lulzy bailed, so... technically, he DID get away with it.

AWWWWWRIGHT! Finally, the bad guys win one! Sure, a small one... but baby steps, people! Baby steps!
Evil always finds a way, even if that way is making the heroes laugh so hard they no longer wish to stop you. Then again, since he was planning to sell the land anyway, what was the point? Seems like throwing a molotov at an already burning building.

EDIT: on the bears, it seems Stephen has gained influence over middle earth, here's hoping for Gwaihir painted like the american flag.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Every time I read this...I want to start playing LOTRO...

Well, let's look into a free trial.

Sudden

Feb 18, 2010
I can't wait until you reach the Old Forest and have to deal with 200.000ish spiders!

It would be cool if you joined a kinship, travelled to your kinship house and took a sip out of their Inn Leauge Sinister Keg. I won't tell you what will happend, but I'm sure you'll be surprised!

jmpatt

Nov 25, 2008
So, to add insult to injury, but I wonder (not having played LOTRO) if the deer there act like the deer in WOW, which is to say completely unlike real deer. You see, in real life deer are cautious, nervous, skittish, and will flee if they detect the slightest hint of anything that might be large and carnivorous. If they perceive an actual active threat, they will flee much, much faster. Because of this behavior, deer hunting necessitates stealth, patience, and the use of long range weaponry with an ability to kill or incapacitate with a single shot.

Contrast this to WOW (and, I'm guessing, LOTRO) deer. They wander around, completely oblivious to both wandering carnivores and well-armed adventurers. They continue to be oblivious right up to the point that you start to attack them, whereupon their reaction is to turn and fight you. Thus, the need for a sling to kill them would seem completely unnecessary.

I know that the creatures in many games have only two possible reactions: ignore you, or attack you. it'd be interesting to have a game with the other possibility, that some creatures will fear you and run. And it would make quests to hunt them definitely more interesting...

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
jmpatt said:
So, to add insult to injury, but I wonder (not having played LOTRO) if the deer there act like the deer in WOW, which is to say completely unlike real deer. You see, in real life deer are cautious, nervous, skittish, and will flee if they detect the slightest hint of anything that might be large and carnivorous. If they perceive an actual active threat, they will flee much, much faster. Because of this behavior, deer hunting necessitates stealth, patience, and the use of long range weaponry with an ability to kill or incapacitate with a single shot.

Contrast this to WOW (and, I'm guessing, LOTRO) deer. They wander around, completely oblivious to both wandering carnivores and well-armed adventurers. They continue to be oblivious right up to the point that you start to attack them, whereupon their reaction is to turn and fight you. Thus, the need for a sling to kill them would seem completely unnecessary.

I know that the creatures in many games have only two possible reactions: ignore you, or attack you. it'd be interesting to have a game with the other possibility, that some creatures will fear you and run. And it would make quests to hunt them definitely more interesting...
Unless you are an elf, normal fauna like deer will flee from you when you approach, and will also flee if a battle starts near them. However, deer in certain areas are not the same as their smaller, flighty cousins found elsewhere, and are more aggressive and far more durable.

I've not run across a quest to hunt normal creatures, but there's sooooo many quests out there that I can't say they don't exist.

lukey_2

Jan 26, 2010
Finally someone knows the threat that bears pose and has the fortitude to take them down!

hewhosaysfish

Feb 25, 2010
jmpatt said:
Maybe it's juz this is the escapist but I immediately thought of this:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_250/7443-Slow-Death-In-a-Shady-Glen

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
jmpatt said:

*cough*Evendim*cough* Sorry had to clear my throat. At this rate, I'd surprised if the last town Lulzy visits in the Shire is not brutally butchered and fed to the local wildlife. I think the Goblins/Orcs of Moria will have something besides Dwarves or even giant demons (evil Maiar) to worry about when Lulzy arrives.

Golly

Mar 31, 2009
You should check out the drama sequence in Overhill by the pond where the hobbit lad is proposing to the hobbit lass. And if you go to Brockenborings, you should check out the really funny one near the statue. Though that one might take a bit longer to trigger.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
I believe that hobbits can complete a deed named something like "spider-foe". You have to kill 200 spiders for it. Yeah, it seems that hobbits hate spiders in general.

This quest also made me think of the plot of "brother bear". You know, mama-bear drags off corpse of dead animal for her cub. Human doesn't like it and kills mama-bear. I'm sure that at this moment, a lonely bear cub cries for its mother while it slowly starves to death.
If it isn't killed by Lulzy already, of course.

Sidereal

Mar 26, 2009
If the stone is so lucky, it might be worth considering *not* slinging it away from himself, *not* hunting with that particular stone...

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
This would almost be enough to make me start my own LOTRO adventures if I thought I could make them as amusing as the comic. Sadly, I don't think my sense of humor is that good.

Rutkowski

Oct 12, 2009
You think the developers got something against bears? Wait until you get jobs to start hunting Wargs, especially in the Lonelands and Northern Downs and forward. They. Never. Stop.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
spiders? noooop

I suppose killing all those bears does bring about some decent loot or whatever, no? xP