Shamus Plays: LOTRO, The Finale!

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
And so Lulzy's adventures come to an end. :(

Great series though, laughed from the first one to the last.

Can't wait to see what the next one will be.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
the protaginist said:
This is a tad off-topic, but I know LOTRO is moving to free-play soon and i'm interested in it, but if i don't like D&D Online would I enjoy LOTRO? I know they're both Turbine, so I thought i'd ask.
Quite a fair question given that they are both by the same company. Both games use the same engine on a very basic level, but they play completely differently. DDO is more action game like while LOTRO is more in line with a typical MMO. DDO uses repeatable instances and scalable challenges to provide it's gameplay. LOTRO uses a mostly open world with a few instances here and there. Most of it's gameplay is centered around being part of the LOTR storyline and world. Personally, I'd say they are very different and there's a good chance that it you don't like one you might like the other.

Also, don't feel that you have to wait until LOTRO goes F2P to give it a try as they currently do offer a 10 day free trial. In fact, if you try it now and decide you like it enough to pay for a few months of play you'll be better off in terms of the perks you have access to when the game does go F2P even if you decide to stop paying at that point.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Alas, all good things must end. I loved this series; a hilarious send-up of the stupid game mechanics and plot devices present in even the best of games. I'll miss you, Lulzy. We all will.

Feb 13, 2008

Well done indeed. :)

BTW, Donabella tells me that Men don't even know how to cook a proper Hobbit's breakfast, so you're better off without them.

TheEpic_1

Mmmm.. Zephyr Biscut
Jan 8, 2010
Who knew a written, weekly and game based story could be better than the video series? i really do love the parody of a very popular brand and made every one of my thursday mornings( I live in australia) awesome. THANKYOU MR SHAMUS.

Tech-Mechanic

Apr 5, 2010
Man, that was awesome! I anxiously awaited every installment of Lulzy's adventure. I can't wait to see what you pick next. Keep up the great work!

gblock

Apr 30, 2010
I've really enjoyed reading these; I can't remember when I saw it first, or why I started reading it, but I'll definitely miss it now that it's gone.

Good game, sir.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Y'know... I bet this could actually feel pretty epic if it didn't have a sarcastic comic-writer commentating it :p

Great series!

MsBarrows

Mar 16, 2010
I shall miss Lulzy and her adventures - she's made me smile, made me grin, made me laugh, made me snort and snork and giggle and belly laugh. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading about whatever game you play next, but I will definitely miss my regular instalment of Lulzy. And I can never again undertake any quest in LOTRO without pondering what Lulzy's take on it would have been.

Re: community in LOTRO, of all the MMOs I've played it's definitely got the best in-game community. I play on both Landroval (high population) and Arkenstone (considerably lower population) and with very few exception the vast majority of players are helpful, cheerful, accepting and articulate. Questions asked in any but the least-populated areas and times tend to get multiple immediate answers, often in verbose detail.

Landroval, being an unofficial role-playing server, tends to have a lot of player-run events, from things as small as regular jam sessions on in-game instruments at assorted locations to player-run taverns and co-operative efforts to knock out some of the games more difficult content (check out Youtube for "chicken run" videos for a sample) and create ambitious roleplaying events (I highly recommend the "Oathbreaker - Halloween 2009 - LOTRO" video, also on Youtube, as a prime example of just how much fun the RPers are getting up to).

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
That was awesome as usual, Shamus! I read everything you write here and on your blog and I want to thank you for the countless hours of entertainment you are providing!

Eagle Est1986 said:
That was far better than it had any right to be, thanks Shamus. I'm very much looking forward to reading the second season of Shamus Plays.
This actually already was kind of a "Season 2". Season 1 being about Champions Online. A Star is Born [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=5015] on Shamus's personal blog is every bit as awesome as Lulzy's adventures were, so be sure to check it out if you haven't already.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
Very nice, as an Ex-LOTRO player I enjoyed it very much.

Say, if you're doing another MMO-based story like this, you should really consider something like Eve or City of Heroes/Villains. The latter is probably a bit too much as Champions Online, though.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Thanks for the stories! Funny that your journey through LOTRO ends just as I end mine. I enjoyed reading these.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Good show man, good show. Enjoyed every line of it. And even though this my first comment, let it be known that you did a fantastic job, and I can't wait for some other adventure. Half-life, maybe?

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
Awesome end to an awesome series, though I counted an unusually high number of typos.