Shamus Plays: WoW #9: No Murloc, No Wedlock

amigakid

Dec 22, 2010
I've often thought it would be interesting if you made an online game where everything was available all the time... I don't actually know if that would make the game better, but it would be an interesting experiment to see how people behave.
About half of the item-based quests in Vindictus are for freely available, freely traded vendor trash. So when you get new quests, your first stop is the Trading Post, where massive supply, absurdly low NPC sell values, and a lack of anything else to do with the items in question means you can often complete your quest instantly for less gold than it returns.

While I enjoy the gameplay, the overall design needs some work.

Redratson

Jun 23, 2009
Well done I was entertained and I lol'd at some parts X) I wonder what level Norman is going to be when this series comes to an end.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I've often thought it would be interesting if you made an online game where everything was available all the time. If crystal kelp really did appear along the coast and Murlocs really did drop it, whether you needed it or not. It would be interesting to see how many players would naturally revert to adventure game behavior, scarfing up everything needlessly and hauling around armloads of random crap.
Everquest, especially the older areas, works like that too. As you get higher level, and the content gets more modern, tradable quest items become rarer (so you have to actually loot the corpse yourself) and eventually they added a real Quest Log system, but for years and years there was virtually no quest state saved anywhere outside the inventory.

Monsters dropped what they dropped regardless of who killed them, any NPC (even other monsters) could be handed any item, and that was it. If you'd read a spoiler you never had to encounter any quest text at all. I learned about a ton of quests just by finding an item I didn't recognize, and yes, I ended up with a bank full of quest junk that I never got around to finishing.

All sorts of rumors and theories swirled around any item with no known use. Many were just outright useless, and many quests were broken and uncompletable, but every once in a while someone would work something out and a years-old mystery would be solved.

I really loved Everquest questing, it was such a community exercise. It's a shame no modern MMO could ever get away with anything similar.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I can't wait to see how these two react to Rolf and Malakai's

chewed-up corpses

XD Phenomenally well done as always.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
HankMan said:
Norman is coming along nicely >)
Also "the Best with two butts" lol'd Helping two clueless teens get it on is always a good deed in my book.
Unless they end-up breeding! *shiver* ugh!
Isn't that like saying that sending someone to art school is a good deed unless they become a professional artist? It won't necessarily happen, but it is the natural result of such an event, especially in a world in which they have yet to invent contraceptives.(I think that Azeroth doesn't have contraceptives since it is a roughly medieval setting, but I may be wrong).

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Shamus Young said:

A pair of lovestruck teenagers live a stone's throw apart. Naturally, this means that getting them together requires murder, alchemy, and a conversation with grandma.

Read Full Article
On the second page there is an OOC comment regarding what if: everything was available all the time..
That is pretty much how EQ (EverQuest one that is) worked.. as far as the impact on the game? Well I made a decent amount farming such things in the bazaar...

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Sewblon said:
HankMan said:
Also "the Best with two butts" lol'd Helping two clueless teens get it on is always a good deed in my book.
Isn't that like saying that sending someone to art school is a good deed unless they become a professional artist? It won't necessarily happen, but it is the natural result of such an event, especially in a world in which they have yet to invent contraceptives.(I think that Azeroth doesn't have contraceptives since it is a roughly medieval setting, but I may be wrong).
Medieval people had some contraceptives, but none of them worked very well. Little better than nothing at all, essentially. And then you had "contraceptives" that were actually abortifacents (bring on abortion). Herbals usually listed them as "Bringing on the woman's flow"... but it was by making them not be pregnant any more.

timeadept

Nov 23, 2009
I was playing Vindictus the other day and this old guy asked me to go out to the perilous ruins to find a flower his wife liked because it was the anniversary of his wifes death. Due to the mission based nature of Vindictus, going there to find the flowers WITHOUT killing everything between me and them was simply not possible, turned out the boss was carrying them anyway. Do you know how many gnoles i had to KILL for just a few flowers so this guy could feel better about his wife being dead?

Yeah... it's hard to feel like you have a stake in the world when saying no to killing stuff for no reason does nothing but leave you with less XP.

ajbell

Poor Impulse Control
Dec 6, 2007
LadyRhian said:
Sewblon said:
HankMan said:
Medieval people had some contraceptives, but none of them worked very well. Little better than nothing at all, essentially. And then you had "contraceptives" that were actually abortifacents (bring on abortion). Herbals usually listed them as "Bringing on the woman's flow"... but it was by making them not be pregnant any more.
I'm pretty sure the medieval world didn't have warlocks, demons and floaty green names above everyone's heads either, though, so I wouldn't rely on it too much as a guide. ;)

And all-the-time, all-the-where loot drops? Oh gods no! I have trouble with inventory space as it is! (Unless it could all stack into a pile of "stuff I don't know what it does yet".)

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Irony said:
I like the hardening of Norman so far. He is quickly losing that idealism that he had at the beginning.
I agree. His education is coming along quite nicely.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I hope in the next episode it goes into Norman's training... he must have leveled up a few times now right? Maybe he can have a dilemma about using darker magic.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
Chapper said:
I'm predicting a descent into the darker side of Norman in the future. Looking forward to it.
Chapper, dude, I ninja'd you four episodes ago. :)

TheMadDoctorsCat said:
JoJoDeathunter said:
I don't even play WOW but this is still hilarious, nice one!
Definitely agreed. Norman's moral descent into evil is hilarious to read about.
Don't worry though, some day you be within distant walking distance of the level of awesome that I am.

(PS - kidding!)

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Yeah we paladins would totally go marching into the demon realm and wipe them out... he's right we just have shinier clothing.

Guys and Gal's LOVE the shiny clothing.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
The Lizard of Odd said:
I have to say I've been absolutely loving this series. The way you go through each quest and consider the logic (or complete and utter lack of) involved in each one is hilarious and awesome. I hope you keep it up for some time!
Just think about how quickly Norman would go insane trying to rationalize the murder of thousands of Horde goblins in Stonetalon! It would be oh so delicious.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Luke Cartner said:
Shamus Young said:

A pair of lovestruck teenagers live a stone's throw apart. Naturally, this means that getting them together requires murder, alchemy, and a conversation with grandma.

Read Full Article
On the second page there is an OOC comment regarding what if: everything was available all the time..
That is pretty much how EQ (EverQuest one that is) worked.. as far as the impact on the game? Well I made a decent amount farming such things in the bazaar...
The irony is that doing those quests for those rewards was NEVER worth it unless it was for an epic. Farming your first set of noob gear was such a collosal waste of time. But so much of that game was. And buying the mats was always at a price your new character could never possibly afford, even if you had luck on skellies dropping cracked staves.

Anyone who thought WoW is a grind clearly never played EQ.