Shantae Kickstarter

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Damn, the $10,000 reward is a boxed, factory-sealed copy of the original. You'd probably get more than $10,000 for that alone.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Damn, the $10,000 reward is a boxed, factory-sealed copy of the original. You'd probably get more than $10,000 for that alone.
I doubt it. That's almost the price of Nintendo World Championships (the Gold cart) on the NES and only 26 of those were ever made.

A game has to be extremely rare to have that $10,000 worth of resale value in the collector market.
In fact, I found one on ebay that's sealed AND signed by Matt Bozon and it's going for $1,900
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shantae-Gameboy-Color-NEW-SEALED-SIGNED-BY-MATT-BOZON-/121168235921?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1c36308d91

I've seen others for sale on there around $300ish.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
A more appropriate song would be this considering her main attack:

Although I am pretty glad it isn't.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I loved the first one, the second one was even better, I've enjoyed every other Way Forward title so there's no reason why I won't support this :D

if only they could make an Adventures of Lolo remake :)

Rin Tezuka

Dec 9, 2012
I'm starting to really love WayFoward. They put so much care and effort in their work no matter if it's their own IP or if it's a licensed game, plus they've got some great composers too. Not to mention they're one of the only developers that isn't shunning the Wii U.

They deserve every last penny, cent and kopeck. The gameplay might seem simplistic, but if you've played Ducktales Remastered (Which would be the best platformer of the year if Rayman Legends wasn't around) you'll know WayForward will make it interesting to play.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
djl3485 said:
How much you want to bet Sarkeesian will ignore this except to whine about the character design instead of using it to promote the anti trope.
I don't know but this game might have a very subtle stab at Miss Sarkeesian, the PC reminds me of that protagonist from her game concept but with a skimpy outfit, it's not enough to really be an infringement but still...

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
magicmonkeybars said:
djl3485 said:
How much you want to bet Sarkeesian will ignore this except to whine about the character design instead of using it to promote the anti trope.
I don't know but this game might have a very subtle stab at Miss Sarkeesian, the PC reminds me of that protagonist from her game concept but with a skimpy outfit, it's not enough to really be an infringement but still...
The series has been around longer than Sarkeesian has been making videos. I ask that people please don't try and link this to Sarkeesian if at all possible unless you know it to be relevant. I really enjoy this series and I don't want this thread to just turn into yet another argument.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
o.o

there's not 1 but 2 Shantae games coming/in the works.

welp, looks like I've more games to buy then.

but why do they need a kick starter? their other games not doing well or something? cause that'd suck if they wheren't doing well.
magicmonkeybars said:
djl3485 said:
that's a law suit she'd lose, badly. The original Shantea game was a gameboy color game. So it's unlikely Wayforward is ripping her off.

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
I backed this along with Mighty No. 9. Might as well go on a Kickstarter binge.

Having never played Shantae I asked WayForward if I needed to have played other games to understand anything and was told it was a "fresh start", so I smell soft reboot.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Lunar Templar said:
o.o

but why do they need a kick starter? their other games not doing well or something? cause that'd suck if they wheren't doing well.
magicmonkeybars said:
djl3485 said:
that's a law suit she'd lose, badly. The original Shantea game was a gameboy color game. So it's unlikely Wayforward is ripping her off.
They've always been a company that seems to be on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to funding, so I think the deal is that this is them trying to see if they can make the next game bigger in scope than the previous ones. But that's my conjecture.

FourCartridge

Dec 27, 2012
Specter Von Baren said:
They've always been a company that seems to be on the low end of the spectrum when it comes to funding, so I think the deal is that this is them trying to see if they can make the next game bigger in scope than the previous ones. But that's my conjecture.
According the KS page this is the first multiplatform game in the series, which is to me weird cause I thought she was a Nintendo character; she's only been on their handhelds. It's more likely they want to self publish; 7 platforms is a lot of effort, and looking at it now 400k seems kinda low.

KOMega said:
never heard of this before, but I do like me some 2D platformers.

I wonder if I can afford to back mighty 9 and this.
Between Mighty No. 9 and this it's only $35 for copies of the two games. Seems cheap to me. =P

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Specter Von Baren said:
Lunar Templar said:
o.o

BOO!! they should be rolling in it after Duck Tales alone :/

but, more Shantea would be good, Risky's Revenge was good, but left me wanting it to be longer.

how they gonna work around the 'She lost her genie powers' bit of that ending? Seems like an important detail to address.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I do like Shantae as much as the next person, I feel the games are very nearly up there with Rayman in quality, but why exactly does this project need to be crowdfunded?

I admit I missed out on the GBC Shantae, but I bought Risky's Revenge and am planning on buying the new 3DS one. Plus, WayForward has incoming revenue from Duck Tales. I just am having some difficulty seeing why this is necessary. Sure, I can understand them wanting to go indie -or, more like a super-indie- but is it really necessary to do this? Konami or Capcom, both of whom they have worked with in the past, would likely front this money for their game.

I will think this over. But, it is likely I will conclude that my more traditional support of the series is enough.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
When I read about this I almost did a backflip at work, I can add this with my GBC copy of Shantae and the 3DS one that is coming out, plus the one on DSi.

Rin Tezuka

Dec 9, 2012
Lunar Templar said:
how they gonna work around the 'She lost her genie powers' bit of that ending? Seems like an important detail to address.
In the third game that's on 3DS, the focus is about weaponry like swords and guns, as there game she's teaming up with Risky. Not sure what it'll be about in this game, but the developers have said that despite the loss of powers belly dancing is still going to be an important part of Shantae's moves.

CazTheGamerGuy

Sep 6, 2013
Between this and Shantae & The Pirate's Curse, things are looking good for Wayforward's purple-haired genie (assuming it gets funded). Also, that 1.1 million stretch goal.. could that be voice acting? Or maybe an arranged soundtrack?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Glad to see I'm not the only one who found out about this from Nerf now -_-. As for the Kickstarter, I'm happy that at the current pace it looks like it will end up getting the needed funds, but I doubt it will pass too many of the stretch goals. Unless the funding suddenly picks up by a lot, I doubt it will get past the 500K mark.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Guys you have to fund this. YOU HAVE TO. I must have the 500k stretch goal, and play as Risky. Please.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I played Risky's revenge, and enjoyed it.
I plan on playing the original on virtual console after I finish Wario Land 3.
I do however wonder why they need to kickstart it when the series has been relatively successful already.