Share an interesting random fact

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
rednose1 said:
usmarine4160 said:
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the longest word in the English dictionary, it's a lung disease caused by the inhalation of fine silica dust (like from volcanoes, makes sense as 'volcano' is part of the condition).
Should look up the full chemicla name for tintin sometime.

I would post it here but 2 things.

1) It's too large for the forums
2) Even typing 1 letter a sec, it would take me over 2 days to finish.

Just know if you ever get in in a spelling bee, it is proof the whole world is against you.
Titin, not tintin.

Titin, labelled somewhere top right

Tintin, standing somewhere in the middle.

Captain_Pancreas

Sep 27, 2010
4RM3D said:
Speaking of which... Barnacles have the longest penis of all animals relative to their body size. If a barnacle would be as big as a human, his penis would be about 10 meters.
I'm not sure how correct it is but my biology teacher always said that on a human it was comparable to Nelson's Column, (non-Brits: google 'trafalgar square') I'm not sure how tall that is though *checks wikipedia*. Apparently 52m approximately. Like I said, not sure how correct that is. Your point bout being the largest relative to body stands either way though :p

Liham

Apr 17, 2009
mbug said:
OT: A goldfish is the only animal that can see ultra violet and infra red lighting.
unless a person gets botched laser eye surgery, then they can too.

Coldflame727

Jul 14, 2011
DesertMummy said:
We technically live in a time where ponies (my little pony) are manlier than vampires and werewolves. (twilight)
This comment forever plz.
OT: The brain cannot feel any pain whatsoever.

deckpunk

Apr 5, 2011
mbug said:
darthotaku said:
somewhere in space, there is a massive cloud of alcohol the size of our solar system. you could make 400 trillion trillion pints of beer with it.
i call bs. i need proof of this one O.O
All my life I've heard the legends... could they be true?! The Irish people have always talked of it, we call it heaven.

Joking aside, I guess I should give some interesting facts

1 - There is NOT more caffeine in tea than coffee, this is one of those ridiculous lies that will not go away. Certain teas such as "pinhead gunpowder"(also the name of a great pop-punk band) contain unhealthy amounts of caffeine however the average cup of coffee contains far more caffeine than a cup of tea.

2 - Guinness may be considered uniquely Irish, however the beverage itself was developed in England by an english man named Arthur Griffith, he later set up his famous brewery in Dublin some years later.

3 - The Simpsons, Mario, Watchmen, Nosferatu and Star Wars were created in moments of sheer laziness... http://www.cracked.com/article_18530_5-pop-culture-classics-created-out-laziness.html

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
TrilbyWill said:
Piorn said:
If you breed a Tiger and a Lion, you get a Liger, if the father is a lion; or a Tiglon, if the father is a tiger.
They don't count as a new species because they're sterile.
you mean these ligers?
"In 1943, a fifteen-year-old hybrid between a lion and an 'Island' tiger was successfully mated with a lion at the Munich Hellabrunn Zoo. The female cub, though of delicate health, was raised to adulthood."
I'm sorry, I googled it a bit and it seems that female ligers can mate with other lions, however, there are conflicting reports about male Ligers, and whether they are completely infertile or just very unlikely to succeed.
I'm not a biologist, so thanks for pointing it out.

Wushu Panda

Jul 4, 2011
Burst6 said:
EpicEps said:
For every 35 pounds an overweight man loses, his penis gains an inch.

I really doubt that.

If that was true i would have a 9 inch penis.

I really wish it is true, though.
your penis doesnt magically gain inches. as stated by a previous post it has to deal with the fat deposits around the groin region. the less fat in those areas, the father your member hangs low and the more use you get out of it.

http://www.betterbodyjournal.com/fitness-exercises/will-weight-loss-and-exercise-make-your-penis-bigger

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Wushu Panda said:
your penis doesnt magically gain inches. as stated by a previous post it has to deal with the fat deposits around the groin region. the less fat in those areas, the father your member hangs low and the more use you get out of it.

http://www.betterbodyjournal.com/fitness-exercises/will-weight-loss-and-exercise-make-your-penis-bigger
Yeah i know. I'm expecting at most an inch though.

I'm having a hard time believing that i have 3-4 inches hiding in there.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Korten12 said:
Nocturnal Gentleman said:
The parasite cymothoa exigua kills the the tongue of its host and then replaces the organ by attaching itself to the stump. It's the only parasite that will replace an organ.

That is probably the wierdist thing I have ever seen.
You haven't heard of that eel with a mouth inside its mouth(like in Alien) have you?

EDIT: Its called Moray eel
Heres the wiki [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moray_eel] page.

I now know why humans haven't evolved a set of gills.

Kapri

Jul 20, 2011
Polar bears are left handed... er, pawed.

Also, butterflies taste with their feet!

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Ahem. Spiders are evil creatures and should be killed on sight. TVtropes will ruin your life.

Now for the real facts: The previous two facts are actually opinons
More than ten people a year are killed by vending machines.
Abraham Lincoln was a licensed bartender.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
The electric chair was invented by a dentist.

Yeah, If you're afraid of dentists, this ain't gonna help ya.

shurikenshado4

Nov 1, 2011
Garbage island is infact a couple of real islands composed entirely of plastic that can be found in the middle of the pacific ocean. for more crap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Cameron1992 said:
4RM3D said:
Speaking of which... Barnacles have the longest penis of all animals relative to their body size. If a barnacle would be as big as a human, his penis would be about 10 meters.
I'm not sure how correct it is but my biology teacher always said that on a human it was comparable to Nelson's Column, (non-Brits: google 'trafalgar square') I'm not sure how tall that is though *checks wikipedia*. Apparently 52m approximately. Like I said, not sure how correct that is. Your point bout being the largest relative to body stands either way though :p
52 Meters o_O

And here I thought 10 meters was a lot.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
75-95% of Americans are vitamin D deficient.
Dalmatians are born without spots.
Months that start with a Sunday always have a Friday 13th.
Turtles can breathe through their anus.
Hitler dated 3 women in his lifetime who all tried to commit suicide. 2 succeeded, one of them, being his niece.
Children are spanked at birth to help them to breathe.
The first known form of birth control was crocodile feces, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.
Elephants cannot jump.
Males produce at least 1,500 sperm cells a second.