Share some things that make you smile!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It's incredibly easy to get up to impressive speeds even with just a pedal bike, especially if you are going down a hill. It doesn't shock me at all that he got that fast, powered or not. I recall as a kid, using a bungee cord, tied to the seat post of my friend's bike, to get a slingshot boost on my skateboard. They would pedal as hard as they could (which at 12 is pretty damn hard let me tell you, we had legs like steel from all that pedaling) , I would follow behind on my board, holding the cord, and we'd take off on a downhill road in our neighborhood. I'd then pull as hard as I could for extra speed, and go rocketing off at truly stupid speeds for someone on a board and no protective equipment. I fucked up and got flung off the board one time, and I was going so fast, and the hill had enough of a slope, that I had enough hang time, to truly ponder how badly it was going to fucking hurt when I hit the pavement. And boy did it fucking hurt.

So yeah, kid deciding how fast he can go down a hill, fucking up and having a bad spill, totally in character, time honored tradition. Screaming in abject pain and fear at the solid smash, also time honored. I'm certain I've made similar sounds on...at least 3 occasions as a kid, from a serious spill.
My favorite such moment: myself, a few friends and my cousin Max were playing basketball at my friend Donnie's house. Max was the youngest and smallest, and during a particularly aggressive play on the ball, Donnie charged Max and busted his nose. Donnie's mom took Max inside and did the typical "mom" stuff to staunch the bleeding before we headed back to my house while some of the other kids continued to play. Back at home, me and a couple of buddies convinced Max it'd be a good idea to ride his bike past Donnie's house exclaiming "charging ol' Donnie, charging ol' Donnie!" He agreed. As we stood at the top of the street to witness this public humiliation, Max was too busy yelling to notice the parked car he was veering towards, and WHAM!! Flipped up on the hood of the car suffering multiple injuries, much more damage than a bloody nose. Donnie's mom came out again and nursed the now crying Max back to sustainable health while we came down to retrieve him.

To this day, all I have to say to Max is "charging ol' Donnie" to get a rise and laugh out of him. We were dumb.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My favorite such moment: myself, a few friends and my cousin Max were playing basketball at my friend Donnie's house. Max was the youngest and smallest, and during a particularly aggressive play on the ball, Donnie charged Max and busted his nose. Donnie's mom took Max inside and did the typical "mom" stuff to staunch the bleeding before we headed back to my house while some of the other kids continued to play. Back at home, me and a couple of buddies convinced Max it'd be a good idea to ride his bike past Donnie's house exclaiming "charging ol' Donnie, charging ol' Donnie!" He agreed. As we stood at the top of the street to witness this public humiliation, Max was too busy yelling to notice the parked car he was veering towards, and WHAM!! Flipped up on the hood of the car suffering multiple injuries, much more damage than a bloody nose. Donnie's mom came out again and nursed the now crying Max back to sustainable health while we came down to retrieve him.

To this day, all I have to say to Max is "charging ol' Donnie" to get a rise and laugh out of him. We were dumb.
Yeah, another example that comes to mind was me on my bike, going through a wooded path that was a shortcut between two areas of my neighborhood. One side was the residential side, the other was the water park we lived at during the summer, because there was nothing else to do. My friends had gone ahead of me, and decided to play a prank. They hid off the side of the road, and as I pedaled furiously to catch up, one of them stuck out a stick to catch in my front spoke, which instantly stopped my bike, which proceeded to buck me and send me flying. I remember that one really hurting because I was completely not prepared for it. Nothing in my senses indicated I was in immediate danger, so I didn't brace, or prepare to try and tumble. Just, one second I'm going full speed, clear path, next I'm airborne and not sure why. WHAM. Face first into the ground. You know that weak muscle feeling you get from shock, when you take a hard tumble? That. Oh man it sucked.

Another time was I was riding double with a friend, and we were trying a new arrangement, instead of one of us sitting on the handle bars. Instead we tried this sort of pommel horse, balancing act, where one of us would sit on the bike seat, kind of dangling our legs behind us for balance, and using your hands on the seat to further stay in position. The person pedaling, would simply stand up the whole time, and thus have full view of the road, and not have this massive weight on the front of the bike. Brilliant! But....I slipped, and fell straight down...onto my knees....onto gravely pavement...and slid for a bit. That....fucking....hurt. Probably the most painful skinned knees I've ever had in my life. And it was both of them at once. So walking was fucking torture. I was NOT a happy kid that day. Crying and sobbing because I had to hobble home on those injured knees, and have mom fix them for me.

So many stupid things. It's why I kind of laugh at people who try and give kid's today shit for doing stupid stuff online. All I think is "Yeah but like...that's just something embarrassing? I'm lucky I literally SURVIVED a myriad of really fucking dangerous, and often CRIMINAL activities, me and my idiot friends tried, just for the lulz. Not to mention get out of them all without ever being arrested or imprisoned, including one time actually being in handcuffs and having a car searched, WHILE I was carrying weed on me that the cops missed."

I have a healthy appreciation for how fucking dumb we ALL are at that age, as we are all still literally growing our brains, and learning and trying stuff out. We are by design, really dumb at that stage in our lives, on so many levels. And I am definitely no different. So I try and give kids a huge benefit of the doubt, because they're kids. We all were, at least those of us that survived it.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I have a healthy appreciation for how fucking dumb we ALL are at that age....
I like to remind old people about how "kids those days" did dumb shit like crowd into phone booths or sit on flagpoles just for attention. They just didn't have the Internet to spread their antics around.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I like to remind old people about how "kids those days" did dumb shit like crowd into phone booths or sit on flagpoles just for attention. They just didn't have the Internet to spread their antics around.
For me it was things like "smuggle weed in through customs from Jamaica" "climb a sheer cliff that multiple kids had died falling from....while I was high...at NIGHT, with no safety equipment" or "decide to just climb every public school in my hometown, because fuck it I'm good at climbing, and what could go wrong?' "Helping my friend steal money out of vending machines, using a dollar bill and a special trick that let you snatch it back, but it would register the "purchase" and then we'd get change back (and free snacks/drinks), "hanging out in really fucking dangerous drug houses because I wanted pot, and they were the only source I could find it from that night, even though I was really not happy being there, as they dealt in a lot of other really illegal shit that I wanted nothing to do with."

And a plethora of other shit that I can't really articulate without taking 20 pages, but just...yeah, LOTS of really stupid shit. So some kid making a dumb video on tiktok or whatever, clearly indicating they are a kid, and thus kind of dumb....well, frankly I see that as an improvement. They're just being publicly silly (mostly), nobody is in risk of injury/death/arrest. Not even a 2 on my Richter scale.

Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Just saw a guy with his family, which included 3 little kids around 3-5 years old, spouse and dog. The mom took the 2 eldest kids, clearly dressed for little kid's karate, and turned into the building in front of me as they stood on the sidewalk. Both kids, started to head up, and then both turned around to give the doggo a hug around the neck as they went to their lesson. The doggo, being a good doggo, happily wagged it's tail and licked them as they walked off, then proceeded to keep walking with the dad.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
As one of those people who is starting to fall into the "old people" category, I would point out an incident that occurred a few years ago with my niece. She was 13 at the time and I was visiting my brother's household for Thanksgiving. My niece and I were sitting in the kitchen of my brother's house at the time. Her mother and my brother were in the back bedroom getting ready for the family gathering which was imminent. Her younger sister and brother (ages 8 and 6 respectively) were in the garage, screaming at each other over something. My niece and I were listening to this and she turned to me and said. "Let me guess, when you were my age, you and dad NEVER acted like that?" I listened for a few seconds more to the bru-ha-ha in the garage and then told my niece, "Actually, I was just thinking that when your father and I were that age we were EXACTLY like that." This response took my niece completely off guard. I mean an adult had actually told the truth! What the hell?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As one of those people who is starting to fall into the "old people" category, I would point out an incident that occurred a few years ago with my niece. She was 13 at the time and I was visiting my brother's household for Thanksgiving. My niece and I were sitting in the kitchen of my brother's house at the time. Her mother and my brother were in the back bedroom getting ready for the family gathering which was imminent. Her younger sister and brother (ages 8 and 6 respectively) were in the garage, screaming at each other over something. My niece and I were listening to this and she turned to me and said. "Let me guess, when you were my age, you and dad NEVER acted like that?" I listened for a few seconds more to the bru-ha-ha in the garage and then told my niece, "Actually, I was just thinking that when your father and I were that age we were EXACTLY like that." This response took my niece completely off guard. I mean an adult had actually told the truth! What the hell?
Yeah, it's why I find it so funny when my generation, and older ones, give the youth shit for their fashion choices. I mean, come on you fuckers, you KNOW we dressed horribly too. Hipster fashion isn't YOUR jam, fine, I get it. But don't act like your 80's hair, and denim jacket, and your 90's grunge looks were ANY better by comparison. Because I know how shitty we looked in them, 'cause I wore them too. Get over yourselves.

Reactions: BrawlMan

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
But don't act like your 80's hair, and denim jacket, and your 90's grunge looks were ANY better by comparison. Because I know how shitty we looked in them, 'cause I wore them too.
I did, in fact, once own a pair of parachute pants. I don't think I have room to criticize today's fashion. (Although those parachute pants had room for two or three other people.)

Reactions: happyninja42

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It's nigh past tme to update America's national anthem to something far more appropriate, out with the old, in with the new... star Shpongled spanner can it its bloody heart out!

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
To be fair, my adult niece's favorite game is "Bopit". So, it isn't just us old people that love these types of games.
1621476012998.png

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
At least this is cassette. My first tape music experience was on a Mission Impossible style reel to reel. Played, "Octopuses' Garden" pretty well.

1621514059919.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
One hour? Still not enuff.
Of course it's not enuff dakka.

At the point in time when bullets can pass through the interdimensional walls, when firepower takes up the entirety and eternity of space and time, all being stuck in a never ending life and death cycle as bullets recover and destroy their bodies in quick succession, no one able to think about anything but the sheer force of the bullets rapidly flying literally everywhere in the materium, turning the Warp itself into nothing but a sea of semi-automatic weaponry. Then there will be enuff dakka.

Or at least almost

Last edited: