Share some things that make you smile!

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So Marvel is doing this event where they have different, more "diverse" version of Captain America. What an odd character to do this for, the man with "America" in his name, but oh well.

So here's the character they made for us Filipinos, the Filipino-American Captain America, Ari Agbayani.

1623289740992.png

Her design is... fine, I guess. She's supposed to be a college student and her costume does reflect that.

But her last name is the laziest thing I have ever heard of. "Bayani" means hero in Filipino, and while Agbayani is a real surname, this feels like if Iron Man's secret identity was Anthony McHero.

The cherry on top though is that Ari in Filipino also means genitals. So now we have a hero whose name roughly translates into "Vagina Hero" or "Heroic Vagina". A true masterpiece. Dick Grayson has finally met his match.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Shocking though it may be to say, but at the moment... work!

I'm currently contracted as a narrative writer for a DnD compatible RPG and chatting with the other contributors and the creative lead is pretty fun. That and learning story spoilers (along with stuff that's planned for the future... *fingers crossed I get to work on that, too*), some of which are f***ing huge. I'm seriously struggling to keep a lid on it 'cos I'm (regrettably) somewhat active on social media and brother would the mood flip if I drop details of damn near anything I'm working on. As a community member, I've asked questions about the stuff I'm working on! It's... an interesting situation to be in.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Please, take a moment and watch this, a young woman from Ohio auditioning on “America’s Got Talent.” She brings Simon Cowell near to tears. My girlfriend has been battling cancer since November, and while her prognoses is very good (it was caught and treated very early,) we both cried watching this; it was a message of strength and perseverance we both desperately need to hear. I think everyone needs to hear her message: “I have a 2% chance of survival, but 2% is not 0%.” Look how happy she is. Absolutely beautiful.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Please, take a moment and watch this, a young woman from Ohio auditioning on “America’s Got Talent.” She brings Simon Cowell near to tears. My girlfriend has been battling cancer since November, and while her prognoses is very good (it was caught and treated very early,) we both cried watching this; it was a message of strength and perseverance we both desperately need to hear. I think everyone needs to hear her message: “I have a 2% chance of survival, but 2% is not 0%.” Look how happy she is. Absolutely beautiful.

Made me vaklempt!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I think I've shared this before, but it's worth sharing again as I can never watch this without laughing out loud.

Got a gif of this on my phone spring-loaded for the moment where deploying it would be relevant and indeed humourous. This fabled moment, however, continues to elude me.

-

A gif that pleases a dark corner of my fractured soul;

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So Marvel is doing this event where they have different, more "diverse" version of Captain America. What an odd character to do this for, the man with "America" in his name, but oh well.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic with the comment about implying that someone named America, being represented diversely, is somehow contrary to their concept.

But her last name is the laziest thing I have ever heard of. "Bayani" means hero in Filipino, and while Agbayani is a real surname, this feels like if Iron Man's secret identity was Anthony McHero.

The cherry on top though is that Ari in Filipino also means genitals. So now we have a hero whose name roughly translates into "Vagina Hero" or "Heroic Vagina". A true masterpiece. Dick Grayson has finally met his match.
I mean comic book characters have the most ridiculously lazy names, it's kind of tradition. So I don't see why this is a problem. I mean people name their children with totemic names all the time. Faith, Chastity, Virtue, Patience etc. Hell I know a person who honestly has the first name Arrogance. Not sure if it was a given name, or a name change, but, it's a fucking legal name....Arrogance. I know another person who honestly named their kid Luke Sky Walker. So yeah, a family name that translates to Hero in english, that doesn't even blip my radar. And after a quick google search, it's apparently an actual last name in the Philippines. So, yeah, not seeing the problem. Fuck there is an actress named AMERICA FERRERA. Which given the meaning of the last name roughly translates to American Iron. So...yeah, seems legit given the silliness of comic naming conventions, and the silliness of real human naming conventions. :p

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yah mon!! Come bring dah fire! Man sometimes I really do miss my pot smoking days. I fondly remember going to Jamaica on a trip, buying some weed for personal use, and smuggling it back to the states (this was back in the 90s, customs was way more lax). Went to this guy's house that was a dealer, but also like the safe house to go smoke up at. He was there with his father-in-law (first time meeting him), hitting a bong. I came in, I told them I just got back from Jamaica, and had some genuine, from the island Jamaican Red Hair I wanted to smoke. They looked at each other, looked at the still burning bowl of local schwag they had, just tapped that shit OUT and let me pack it up. We passed it around, and the in-law said "Kid, we've been smoking all day, and I only got high just now from that one bowl, I'll buy that whole bag from you right now for $100 bucks. I kindly declined saying I went through a lot of trouble to get it, and wanted to enjoy it, but they were welcome to smoke it with me. Again, they just looked at each other, and then to me and were like "Fair enough, the bowl is yours my boy! Pack it as you see fit!" :LOL: Good times. Went to the movie theater right after that, and saw a matinee of...I think Johnny Mnemonic? Movie blew me away, though I admit my "Really Fucking High" state, contributed greatly to my enjoyment. Sober me still thinks that movie is way better than it get's credit for..

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
snipped due to errors
I understand some people have a really bad time with smoke. I've not experienced it. Always fun, and I'm always outraged it has ever been a controlled substance.
My favorite story from the day:
Me and buds are watching "Conan" and I'm thinking simultaneously about future people finding my VHS tape and thinking it some kind of biblical narrative but at the same time thinking what it must have been like to be Arney, acting all bad ass but... he isn't in any real danger. He's just snarling walking past a camera he is glaring into. And that I really needed some Doritos.

Reactions: happyninja42

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Not sure if you're being sarcastic with the comment about implying that someone named America, being represented diversely, is somehow contrary to their concept.
I think its funny that when the Marvel universe's heroes are already 99.8% from the US, their idea of bringing in some diversity is to plaster the Stars and Stripes all over various ethnicities.

Yeah I know the intent is to say "Hey the US is made up of all shapes and sizes" and that anyone can represent America, but frankly that's not nearly as interesting as a superhero from another country.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think its funny that when the Marvel universe's heroes are already 99.8% from the US, their idea of bringing in some diversity is to plaster the Stars and Stripes all over various ethnicities.

Yeah I know the intent is to say "Hey the US is made up of all shapes and sizes" and that anyone can represent America, but frankly that's not nearly as interesting as a superhero from another country.
*shrugs* I mean other countries do have heroes that are representative of their country. They aren't very popular outside of their country obviously, but it's hardly unique to the US.

I understand some people have a really bad time with smoke. I've not experienced it. Always fun, and I'm always outraged it has ever been a controlled substance.
My favorite story from the day:
Me and buds are watching "Conan" and I'm thinking simultaneously about future people finding my VHS tape and thinking it some kind of biblical narrative but at the same time thinking what it must have been like to be Arney, acting all bad ass but... he isn't in any real danger. He's just snarling walking past a camera he is glaring into. And that I really needed some Doritos.
Yeah, me and a friend would get out of highschool about 2 hours early every day, due to a work comp program, though our jobs didn't start that early, so it was basically just free time for us. We'd go back to my house, get high, and watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 until it was time for me to take her home. Good times.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Shocking though it may be to say, but at the moment... work!

I'm currently contracted as a narrative writer for a DnD compatible RPG and chatting with the other contributors and the creative lead is pretty fun. That and learning story spoilers (along with stuff that's planned for the future... *fingers crossed I get to work on that, too*), some of which are f***ing huge. I'm seriously struggling to keep a lid on it 'cos I'm (regrettably) somewhat active on social media and brother would the mood flip if I drop details of damn near anything I'm working on. As a community member, I've asked questions about the stuff I'm working on! It's... an interesting situation to be in.
Cool, but for fuck sake don’t fuck it up! No spoiler is worth being labeled “that leaker”.

Anyways,
That’s exactly how it is for quite a few places.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Cool, but for fuck sake don’t fuck it up! No spoiler is worth being labeled “that leaker”.
LOL, no worries, I'm keeping a lid on it and being super careful with it, and I've got the creative director watching the team like a hawk. Besides, I want to get another contract as there are at least three more expansions in the works (that I know of). If it means I suffer for a couple months for the potential to influence the setting's lore even more than I'm doing now, for sure I'll suck it up! And hey, it's my first foray into collaborative creative writing, so I learn a fair bit if nothing else.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yah mon!! Come bring dah fire!
I have few fond memories involving weed.

First time? My ex's roommate's boyfriend was a weed man. It was New Years Eve (2000,) and to celebrate, he brought out a gallon Ziploc bag full of weed, rolled up a bunch of blunts (not joints, BLUNTS,) and lit one after the other and started passing them in the rotation of the 8 or so of us gathered. I'd never smoked weed before, but I knew enough functional weed heads that it couldn't be THAT bad, so I went with the flow. After about an hour, I found myself staring at the refrigerator (about 20 feet away) and just lusting after a cold drink like I'd never lusted after anything before. I was literally fantasizing about it... for 45 minutes without moving. It was then 11:30pm; I somehow mustered the ability to get to the fridge where I proceeded to down several glasses of whatever it was (it was cold, wet and better than sex,) came back to the group and announced that "I was going to sleep; wake me up when this shit should have worn off." That ended up being January 1st, 2001, approximately 10am.

Last time? I was dating a bartender. She was lots of fun, just a chill chick. Seeing as her job saw her surrounded by party activity for sometimes 15 hours a day, her idea of a good times was literally just kicking it, watching movies, shooting pool (she was really good,) having a drink... and smoking weed. I told her I hadn't indulged in awhile (there were a scant few more times between 2000 and 2015,) she didn't say anything, just finished her hit and passed me the bong. This time was actually great; I got that nice high and not the debilitating low. We just stood in the kitchen and talked for hours, then went to bed and screwed like rabbits until the sun came up. There were many perfect nights like that with her, but after we went our separate ways, I haven't touched weed since. Don't miss it, but I do I miss that woman...

Reactions: happyninja42