Share your heroic deeds

GistoftheFist

Jan 6, 2012
Here's a thread to share your Brannigan-esque feats of heroism and bravery. It can be something as simple as returning a lost wallet or as big as rescuing the princess on your motorcycle riding away from a deafening explosion.

Hal10k

May 23, 2011
I bravely fought for the rights of spambots in another thread earlier today. Mods took it down. I made my case as best I could, though. The spambot deserved to have his say in that discussion; the toy he gave us a suspicious link to was as ugly as stated. But no, just because he's a bot we have to silence him. I'm still claiming a moral victory.

Drenaje1

Aug 6, 2011
Since the rules don't define whether or not this was a real heroic feat or a virtual one, my most recent moment of glory was snatching victory for my team. In WoT, to be specific. Since the matchmaking system starts to get hilarious around 1:00 AM because of those pesky timezones, we wound up fighting around four or five of the exact same tank on the enemy team. This is a low tier battle, the highest tier being tier 5. Which is what those five enemy tanks are.

The next problem is that these tanks are KV-2's. This game allows for the mounting of different types of equipment onto your tank (turrets, guns, what have ye) and since the game is being historically faithful, the KV-2's can mount 152mm howitzers as their guns. And then they get to load it with HE shells, and basically dance around one-shotting us poor low tier babbies since that gun coupled with HE shells does ridiculous damage. That's not everyone's choice to use though. They might also go for a 107mm gun, still equally capable of tearing us new ones. I am driving an M4 Sherman.

Long story short, our team starts getting picked off. There's an argument in the chatfeed because one of our guys was shooting up our allies being an asshole. I kill an enemy scout, not big surprise. Then one of those KV's I rambled on about comes rolling up the hill looking for blood. The tank destroyer behind me is dead, so I figure I'm fucked. But thanks to the magical powers of maneuvering around a rock, I manage to kill him while all of his rounds go into...the rock.

And that's basically how the rest of the fight went. Our entire team died, save for two people, and I went on to go murder an enemy light tank, and damage one of their artillery pieces. Finally, our last two guys are killed after destroying the enemy artillery (one of them being the aforementioned asshat who was apparently killing our team) and I'm behind a rock again as the last enemy KV comes barreling towards me with that 152. Same story. I drive forward a bit, blow off his track, he fires a shot off in panic which hits the rock as I'm backing the fuck up. It's a 152mm gun, and it takes a lifetime to reload. And he missed. And I found the thought of what his face looked like as I round the corner again...

Anyway, he is destroyed, and victory is snatched by a hair's width, with my tank essentially a block of swiss cheese.

If I remember any amazing real life feats of heroics, I'll come back and edit this. But I'm a platypus, I don't do much.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
I wonder if you'll get any serious ones, since most of us haven't been put in extremely dangerous situations.
[small]and while reading some threads I have noticed that some couldn't care less about anyone else than themselves[/small]

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
I once beat three guys that were beating down a guy for no reason (or maybe because he came from McDonalds before? ).
I was actually on my way to meet with few friends, saw what was going on and kicked some ass. :)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I don't know if this is heroic but my sister came out about two months ago and my parents kicked her out the house. My parents told me I had to choose between them and my sister. She had nowere to go and I was planning on moving out in a few months to live with a friend and we already had the place to move into (friend of mine's dad owns the building so he was keeping it for us) but my friend and I were saving money for the deposit, so I sold my car for some extra money to cover my half and my friends half of the deposit and we moved in early so my sister would have somewere to stay.

Bit of a ***** that I have to walk/ take the bus everywhere now but my sister is worth it.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I once had to catch a pigeon that flew into my work place with my bare hands. I plucked it right out of the air after it flew at me and then tried to fly the other way and I took that chance to grab it and let it out outside. I still have no idea how it got into the store.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I scared off someone trying to break into my neighbors car.
Those who dont know, im 6'2 and weight 300lbs, built like a football player. Oh, im black too ((Technically mulatto, but i have dark skin)). So when i put on my scary "N*GGAH WAT U DO'IN?" guise and puff up my chest, i tend to chase people off.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Once found a girl, clearly underaged and completely shit-faced, lying in the hall of my dorm. Checked if she was ok or needed any help, no response.
20 minutes later I come to check again and she's face down on the floor.
Luckily, where I live, we get some very basic first aid and CPR training in P.E. class. So I immediatly got to work checking her breath, pulse, etc. Turned out she was in worse shape than I thought so I called her an ambulance and guarded her until it arrived. Luckily she remained stable the entire time so it didn't have to do mouth-to-mouth or whatever but I could have if it had come to that.
Now the part I'm really proud of is that, like I said before, the first aid training we get is VERY basic and it was a looong time ago. So the entire time I was pretty much working off of shards of memories and common sense. But once the paramedics arrived they did the EXACT same things and asked the EXACT same questions to her "friends". (her friends arrived on the scene at some point.) Made me feel like I really saved a life that day, even though she was at no point in truly critical condition.

I never heard from her again though. My guess is she wasn't too pleased waking up in the hospital with 2 very angry parents watching over her. But that's ok because I believe that the most noble thing a man can do is doing the right thing and expecting nothing in return.

As for her "friends", it turned out she was in town because she got invited by the 2 partyanimals living in the same hall as me. They than proceeded to get shit-faced on vodka and when she started to get all quiet they threw her into the hall "for some air". They didn't even know what was up until one of them came out of their room for a piss. Yeah...

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I came across a lady who'd gotten her baby stroller stuck in an escalator.
I rushed to her help, failed to achieve anything, and left the task for a bigger, stronger man.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
At Download Festival last year I found a pink Blackberry on the ground, after asking the people in the area if they had lost their phone, to their credit none of them lied to claim it. I got to ringing some of this persons contacts to tell them I was going to hand it in to the lost property. The phone has no credit on it so I phone this persons dad on my phone and it turns out that he is at the festival too, the phone is his daughters, so we arrange to meet up so the phone can be returned.

Oh and I frequently save mice from my cats. Though thats because I don't want live mice in my house.

David Bjur

Hazy sucks, Daystar Moreso
Nov 21, 2011
staika said:
I once had to catch a pigeon that flew into my work place with my bare hands. I plucked it right out of the air after it flew at me and then tried to fly the other way and I took that chance to grab it and let it out outside. I still have no idea how it got into the store.
I hate to break it to you, but it wasn't a pigeon, it was an owl. And it sits on your lap.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i was in Paris over easter and one day saw a young mother who couldn't carry her baby stroller down the stair(because the Paris metro system is like a big fuck you to people with more baggage than a backpack). I rushed to help her, carried her stuff down the stairs and walked away like a boss. I was really scared of her trying to talk to me since my French is lousy and i hate not being able to articulate myself properly.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Recent: Jump started some strangers car.

Few Months Ago: A large mortar(the fireworks kind, not the military kind) tipped over and pointed toward myself and a few people. The thing was about to went off and the girl next to me froze like a deer in headlights. Basically I brought her to the ground with me and the next instant there were fireballs right where she was standing. Thats the finest moment I can think of.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I have a couple of times helped out friends when we're out, when sometimes a guy just won't take no for an answer. Sometimes it's a quiet word aside, occasionally looking my biggest, putting my arm round them and letting the drunk arse do the maths. Most of the times it's just idiots, but a few times they did look to be getting quite aggressive. Either way, that's about as heroic as I get.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
RedBird said:
Sonicron said:
Saved a 4-year-old from being flattened by a bus. Does that count?
No, In fact thats a felony.
Of course it counts, Go You! and please elaborate...
*Sits down in front of camp fire, waiting*
Not much to tell, really. The kid was playing with a ballon, and the wind snatched it out of his hand and right into traffic; naturally the kid had to have his balloon back, so he chased after it. I was on the other side of the road, saw the bus coming and knew the driver would never be able to stop the vehicle in time, so I sprinted ahead into the road, picked the little guy up about a second before he was turned into gristle and sat him down next to his mom, whom I then proceeded to yell at for two minutes for chain-smoking and yammering away on her cellphone without paying a lick of attention to her son.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only "heroic" deeds I ever done are the mudane ones like holding the doors for anyone behind me when I want to get out, picking up and return the item that the person drop ahead of me and given up my front row seat in the bus for the elderly and people with baby stroller. Yeah those one aren't exactly the type I feel high and mighty about but it's still a good deed.

I pretty sure I did once done something above average good deed but I can't remember it right now.