Sharp Announces A Fancy New Electronic... Cutting Board?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
That wouls make Fruit Ninja the most realisticly controlled game, ever.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Several problems.

As already mentioned we don't want distractions when doing fine knife work. A glass scratch resistant surface is still glass, That will be bad for your knives. Glass is also kind of slippery which makes it less safe than wood or plastic.

Plus i don't want a plug in or battery powered cutting board. This is one of my top ten stupidest gadget ideas ever and it has to be profoundly stupid to get that far up the list.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
IceForce said:
Great, so advertisers can bother me while I try to prepare my food?
No thanks.
Simalacrum said:
Sooo basically it does exactly what my iPad does already but I can't carry it around the kitchen with ease?

Genius.
I dunno, can you cut on your iPad with a knife without damaging it?
You don't need to though, have it beside the normal board, the advantage of a touch screen computer without the fear of damaging it plus it's useful elsewhere....

Seriously first thing I thought was "errr that's what my tablet is for...."

Psychobabble said:
You know that's a really good question. I decided to experiment with my girlfriend's iPad to find the answer to your question. .... The answer is NO. ... I'm in so much trouble.
You didn't really do that... did you?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Deshara said:
Anybody else gonna point out the beauty of a student of Sustainable Product Design coming up with the completely unneccesary digital appliance that can only be produced by a society that has a (relatively) advanced electrical industry, fueled by an unsustainable thirst for nonrenewable resources?
Anybody?
I am sure this thing can be recycled completely and won't be manufactured in a Factory in China that pumps all it's chemical waste into the nearest river until it takes on all the colours of the rainbow!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
How much is this going to cost? My current system of looking at recipes on my vita or printing them off and using a $5 cutting board is pretty cost effective.

More practically, why do I want to put food all over the screen I'm trying to read?

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
RicoADF said:
IceForce said:
No thanks.
Simalacrum said:
Sooo basically it does exactly what my iPad does already but I can't carry it around the kitchen with ease?

Genius.
You don't need to though, have it beside the normal board, the advantage of a touch screen computer without the fear of damaging it plus it's useful elsewhere....

Psychobabble said:
You know that's a really good question. I decided to experiment with my girlfriend's iPad to find the answer to your question. .... The answer is NO. ... I'm in so much trouble.
Whoa Nelly no! A man would have to be pretty demented to do something like that. ..... And besides I just added two more long scratches near the first one and blamed it on the cat. XD

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
If you're worried about using a sharp knife to cut liquidy ingredients on top of an LCD screen, Sharp has assured us that the board is made from a special type of toughened scratch-resistant glass, and has a digital touch-sensitive screen that uses the LCD technology Sharp is famous for.
What about the worry of being distracted as you use a sharp knife beside your fingers?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Why is everyone obsessed with crowbarring in tech where it isn't necessary?

Like, what is the point of a smart-watch?

And this also seems needless, because even if the board is scratch-resistant, it is not smash-resistant, so if you accidentally drop it, you are fucked, sir.

The market for this is also very, very specific, as I doubt that it accounts for more obscure meals such as borsch soup, nor will the translation be any good.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Akichi Daikashima said:
Why is everyone obsessed with crowbarring in tech where it isn't necessary?
You sound like someone who clearly doesn't have a GPS enabled fridge. Once you can track the location of your fridge from anywhere in the world in real time you'll never go back to the boring non-GPS fridges those savages use!

Sharp has assured us that the board is made from a special type of toughened scratch-resistant glass
Please come back when it has a scratch PROOF screen, or a replaceable screen so you don't have to buy a whole new unit when it inevitably gets cut to shreds and nothing is actually visible any more. Maybe give it bluetooth as well, everything is better with bluetooth. And don't forget the social features so we can let our friends know just how many grams of carrots we've put in to our soup today.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I mean, i guess the scale is neat. But they already make super accurate, electronic food scales (one of which I own). Everything else I can get the same effect by bringing my Tablet into the kitchen.

I also seriously doubt the idea that it will help solve obesity. Come on, guys.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
"Scratch resistant"? Guys, if that thing isn't "scratch proof", it's not goddamn worth it. If I have to be worried about damaging it by using it for it's primary purpose, then I am not going to buy it.
Not to mention, this is America, right? People will find a way to sue them for distracting them from their cooking.
jklinders said:
Several problems.

As already mentioned we don't want distractions when doing fine knife work. A glass scratch resistant surface is still glass, That will be bad for your knives. Glass is also kind of slippery which makes it less safe than wood or plastic.

Plus i don't want a plug in or battery powered cutting board. This is one of my top ten stupidest gadget ideas ever and it has to be profoundly stupid to get that far up the list.
So it would be a distraction AND slippery? Well isn't that fan-fucking-tastic.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
At first I couldn't help but think "what's the damn point of this thing?" but after watching the video it looks like a somewhat decent idea. Although, as many people have already pointed out, there are too many things about it that would be a problem. However it's still just in the prototype stage at this point and we probably wont see a more final version for a good while.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Psychobabble said:
RicoADF said:
IceForce said:
No thanks.
Simalacrum said:

Genius.

Psychobabble said:
Whoa Nelly no! A man would have to be pretty demented to do something like that. ..... And besides I just added two more long scratches near the first one and blamed it on the cat. XD
Normally I'd agree but it's an iPad, I want to destroy them on sight half the time, you could have been after an excuse :p

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
jklinders said:
Several problems.

Yeah, the only person who would find this helpful is someone who uses a cutting board a lot. If you only take it out once a week and use it for ten minutes, why would you need the display? You can't go ten minutes without watching YouTube? However, if you do use it every day for a good chunk of time, I'm sure you'd be aware that glass is a pretty terrible cutting surface.

The idea of cutting on glass makes me shiver a bit as I think about the knife slipping. And yeah, rubbing your knife on a super hard surface can't be good for the blade.

Does anyone like cutting on a glass cutting board? What am I missing here?

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Clovus said:
jklinders said:
Several problems.

Yeah, the only person who would find this helpful is someone who uses a cutting board a lot. If you only take it out once a week and use it for ten minutes, why would you need the display? You can't go ten minutes without watching YouTube? However, if you do use it every day for a good chunk of time, I'm sure you'd be aware that glass is a pretty terrible cutting surface.

The idea of cutting on glass makes me shiver a bit as I think about the knife slipping. And yeah, rubbing your knife on a super hard surface can't be good for the blade.

Does anyone like cutting on a glass cutting board? What am I missing here?
I'm a cook by trade so I use cutting boards a lot. I think this thing is utterly appalling. I also envision this horrid screeching sound from the blade on glass. I'm sure the glass is tough but the abuse a cutting surface goes through is not at all trivial. Especially when using a french knife. Also chopping, crushing and cleaving which all happens on these surfaces. Glass and this shit does not mix.

I really should stop thinking of this. It's annoying just how stupid this thing is. They have this idea for some kind of all in one thing. It's just the wrong idea.