dududf

Aug 31, 2009
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
Flames66 said:
This reminds me of the video of the idiot mac user who wanted to "play steam" and get the free copy of portal.
AHA! I saw that, man that guy was effing bad.

He didn't even fucking download the god damn thing! What the fuck?
are we talking about the same guy? he downloaded steam, and had a cry cause he thought it was just a browser, then had to go to a different website just to figure out how to hit "install game" he did get it down, but his mac was crap and it did the mac version of blue screen cause he was stupid to look at his specs, think he needed to update his drivers in the end, but he didn't figure that out.
Oh wait I see what you mean, what I said wasn't clear.

When he initially downloaded it, it said that the file was patching, but that was the actual download. He thought that he could download the entire game in a couple of minutes then he complained about the patches, from which was ACTUALLY the game its self.
ah yeah, i get you now. Even with the corrections there, that video makes me rage, someone that stupid should not own a computer. and someone should tell him that the internet is for me then just blogs.
It's especially hard for me to get rid of the stigma I seem to have around Mac users. Stuff like this makes it incredibly hard for me not to generalize...

It's just SO bad. And from what I could see Macs were marketed at idiots, hell their commercials say that Windows is HARD, god no. Windows is easy as all get out.

Every time I see someone like the guy in that video I cringe, and my eye twitches at the stupidity.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
Flames66 said:
This reminds me of the video of the idiot mac user who wanted to "play steam" and get the free copy of portal.

are we talking about the same guy? he downloaded steam, and had a cry cause he thought it was just a browser, then had to go to a different website just to figure out how to hit "install game" he did get it down, but his mac was crap and it did the mac version of blue screen cause he was stupid to look at his specs, think he needed to update his drivers in the end, but he didn't figure that out.

When he initially downloaded it, it said that the file was patching, but that was the actual download. He thought that he could download the entire game in a couple of minutes then he complained about the patches, from which was ACTUALLY the game its self.
ah yeah, i get you now. Even with the corrections there, that video makes me rage, someone that stupid should not own a computer. and someone should tell him that the internet is for me then just blogs.
It's especially hard for me to get rid of the stigma I seem to have around Mac users. Stuff like this makes it incredibly hard for me not to generalize...

It's just SO bad. And from what I could see Macs were marketed at idiots, hell their commercials say that Windows is HARD, god no. Windows is easy as all get out.

Every time I see someone like the guy in that video I cringe, and my eye twitches at the stupidity.
True, feel sorry for the few of you out there with more then half a brain. Haha windows is hard? fat chance, it is super easy for any one with half a brain, it does almost everything for you, but its good cause you can CHOOSE to make it hard by getting into the advanced settings for the advanced users.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
It's your fault.

ALL your fault.

You have to take every bit of the blame.

Why?

Because at the bottom of the page, it says "Does not support Windows XP" and "Does not support DirectX 9"!

BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Yes, I'm angry about this. I get extraordinarily angry at people who don't freaking READ the requirements before dropping money on something, then complain about it!

EDIT: Oh, free weekend.

Still, the requirements were right there, so this still should have been no surprise to you.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Flames66 said:
You're not listening are you? I am not trying to force anyone to do anything. I am simply stating my opinion. I've stated it so many times in this thread that I will not state it again for your benefit, but here's the overall point:
and my "opinion" is that you're over reacting, especially since the game makes no secret of the requirements.

Oh, of course, I forgot. Once someone states an opinion, no-one is allowed to state any opposing opinion.

lacktheknack said:
Because at the bottom of the page, it says "Does not support Windows XP" and "Does not support DirectX 9"!

BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Yes, I'm angry about this. I get extraordinarily angry at people who don't freaking READ the requirements before dropping money on something, then complain about it!
Better than that, check my screenshot. It's not even at the bottom. It's in big orange text staring you in the face the moment you look at the page. It's actually quite difficult to miss.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Flames66 said:
These are therefore much better games (in my opinion) as they can reach a larger audience without costing them an arm and a leg for new hardware.
$700 = Serviceable DX10 desktop.

Definitely sounds like "an arm and a leg".

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
Flames66 said:
The graphical requirements of Shattered Horizon are quite well advertised in any format that you can purchase it. Expecting a laptop to run this game is ludicrous and complaining about it is even more laughable.

If you expect to receive a full Direct X 11 experience you should purchase the necessary hardware as well as the software (which you do own).

Reading comprehension can obviously help when it comes to purchasing games, who knew?

Edit: In light of having perused some replies above my own I must laugh at your opinion that all games should be made 'for the widest audience possible'. Have you never heard of niche games? They tend to capture 100% of the market they are aimed at, because no one else is aiming at that market.

Shattered Horizon is aimed at the hardcore FPS fan that has money to spend ie. the 20 year old + gamers that will still annihilate you in Quake 3 Arena. Who have a job. End of thread.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Angelo Credo said:
My friends seem to have a similar idea in their head, they think that because I have a laptop, it's instantly inferior despite the fact that one of my friends owns a rig outfitted with a Dual Core 2.6gh processor and an 8800gt, and my laptop has wiped the floor with his desktop FPS wise on pretty much every game we've played time and time again, these days I just ignore it, in the end my laptop was a choice of convenience, mobility and raw power. It does all three outstandingly well and I'm happy with it.

Ushario

Mar 6, 2009
braincore02 said:
I have no problem with graphical improvements. Yeah it could be viewed as dumb that they don't allow backwards compatibility with Dx, but in the end, you should have read the system requirements. I hope you learned your lesson.
This is so outstanding I had to comment on it. Do you understand how Direct X works? Have you got any programming experience? If you don't you should keep quiet. If you do you need to do some more research into programming related to graphics engines.

I'm a games programmer and can unequivocally state that this is not possible with a game like Shattered Horizon where they are using new techniques and technologies implemented in the latest Direct X version.

Also given that a large majority of laptops are for business and/or study purposes its fairly easy to generalise that a laptop cannot be reasonably expected to run games at the same level of performance as a similarly priced desktop system.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
TheComedown said:
So your pretty much going to pass on a crap ton of games cause you computer wont run them? OK fine i have no problem with that, your choice. But don't come here to ***** about high tech specs for games that run the latest gen graphics just cause you don't want to/cant afford to/are too cheap to upgrade your gear. The industry will ALWAYS be pushing for better graphics and with better graphics comes higher tech specs.
Firstly, I already pass on most games anyway because they are overpriced and don't interest me. Secondly, I'm not coming here and Bitching as you put it, I made this thread to start discussion, stated my opinion and asked others for theirs. That's it.

josemlopes said:
Actually the game is very innovative, the only thing that he did was presenting a new way of playing FPS wich is great. The fact that the game needs a super computer to run it does not push the game industry back. The only thing that pushes back is the amount of people that will buy the game. One thing is sure, they are giving a good product for the people who can enjoy it, its not like its just graphics.
I agree that the game is innovative, that's why I tried to play it in the first place, I was interested. It's quite rare at the moment that a game will interest me enough to actually try it. This was one of those few.

lacktheknack said:

Firstly, in Pounds Sterling please, I'm English, It's Boadicea! Secondly, I'm talking laptops.

Scrumpmonkey said:
You make it sound as if every game is doing this. This is simply not the case. Infact i find it frustratingly rare that my 1GB-4870 (over 2 year old card design) gets a good workout. I could ramp the AA on Mass Effect 2 right up to 8X (well, if it didn't cause artifacts in the cutscenes, UnrealEngine strikes again!). There is literally only Shattered Horizon that is DX10 only.

Shattered Horizon is on one level a gloryfied tech demo, it's MEANT to push the envolope. Why did you buy this game is you have a videocrad that is obviously only good enought to run source games? My old 8600GTS can run source games and that is a midrage card from nearly 4 years ago.
This has happened numerous times in this thread already. Someone who did not read my original post, or the numerous times I have mentioned this since. I DID NOT BUY THE GAME. FREE WEEKEND ON STEAM, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!

Now I agree with you that not everyone is doing this. Valve for example have been using the Source engine for many years now with excellent results. They seem to follow the same philosophy as me, If it aint broke don't fix it.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
dududf said:
TheComedown said:
Flames66 said:

True, feel sorry for the few of you out there with more then half a brain. Haha windows is hard? fat chance, it is super easy for any one with half a brain, it does almost everything for you, but its good cause you can CHOOSE to make it hard by getting into the advanced settings for the advanced users.
I think a key thing that sticks out is that I KNOW that not all users are idiots, but sadly the idiots always standout more then the intelligent.

It's really hard not to generalize when it REALLY seems like the majority are indeed, fuck tards.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
It just occurred to me, no one has actually answered the questions I posed in the starting post. It was not my intention to start a flame war, just a discussion. Maybe it was a mistake to state my opinion on the matter first. Here are the questions again for anyone who is interested:

So here's the discussion. What do you think of the current trend for constantly expanding the graphics, at the expense of other aspects of gameplay and of lower end users?

Also what do you think of Shattered Horizon?

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
and that's why valve is losing money on a shit load of their games, and the only reason why they're getting profits is because of steam.

Second, almost 99% of all people who play valve games are begging for a new engine. Valve is too lazy to make a new engine because they're making portal 2, updates to L4D2 and TF2. They don't have the time to make a new engine, and not because they follow the same philosophy.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
jason27131 said:
and that's why valve is losing money on a shit load of their games, and the only reason why they're getting profits is because of steam.

Second, almost 99% of all people who play valve games are begging for a new engine. Valve is too lazy to make a new engine because they're making portal 2, updates to L4D2 and TF2. They don't have the time to make a new engine, and not because they follow the same philosophy.
Everyone I know who plays Valve games is happy with the Source engine. I don't personally think it's because of laziness, I think it's because they think they can make better games by getting all the use they can out of something before ditching it. I work the same way, hence why I won't buy a new gaming machine until my laptop completely dies.

jason27131

Oct 29, 2009
they were talking of making a new engine years back, but never got around to it. I personally think the reason HL3 is taking so long is because they're making a new engine for it. Dated engine = bad for buisiness and games.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Shattered Horizon is to 3Dmark Vantage what Google Earth Flight Sim is to Google Earth.

A little game made by a few developers dicking around with the code of the base product, aimed purely at the existing userbase.

3Dmark Vantage is a piece of benchmarking software designed for benchmarking high end desktop rigs from 2008 and on. You are not part of the intended audience on all three counts, so how the fuck is it the game's fault that it doesn't do what you want it to do?

Bending over backwards to cater to nostalgia is the bane of technological advancement. What are developers supposed to do? Neuter any new engines to provide support for XP and contemporary hardware for all eternity? I haven't heard you while yet that your paragons of support, Source games don't work on Win 3.1, do I smell some myopia there?

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Considering that, judging from the OP, the people in question made use of the Free Weekend, all I can say is "that is the point of Free Weekends: to download it, see if it runs and then see if you like it or not". Had the OP actually bought it, then I will point out that it does say in big orange letters at the top of the Steam page that it's DirectX 10 only, after all.

Ultimately, I think this is a non-starter. You got the game for free, it didn't work, it'll be gone by Monday. Yeah, I realise that 46.82% of Steam for Windows users would be locked out, but it's starting to not be financial suicide to lock out the XP gamers. And besides, they make enough money to survive making PC benchmarks, I think they'll be OK. (Off topic note: the combined Mac percentage of Steam users is higher than the percentage of Steam users that is on 64-bit Vista.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Flames66 said:
lacktheknack said:

Firstly, in Pounds Sterling please, I'm English, It's Boadicea! Secondly, I'm talking laptops.
OK then, we'll make it a $1000 laptop, which will be MORE than enough.

That's 690 pounds sterling.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Shattered Horizon is to 3Dmark Vantage what Google Earth Flight Sim is to Google Earth.

A little game made by a few developers dicking around with the code of the base product, aimed purely at the existing userbase.

3Dmark Vantage is a piece of benchmarking software designed for benchmarking high end desktop rigs from 2008 and on. You are not part of the intended audience on all three counts, so how the fuck is it the game's fault that it doesn't do what you want it to do?

Bending over backwards to cater to nostalgia is the bane of technological advancement. What are developers supposed to do? Neuter any new engines to provide support for XP and contemporary hardware for all eternity? I haven't heard you while yet that your paragons of support, Source games don't work on Win 3.1, do I smell some myopia there?
Windows 3.1 is not a widely used operating system for gaming, XP is.

lacktheknack said:
Flames66 said:
lacktheknack said:

Thank's. My laptop was about £170 less than that. It plays most games fine. I'm not going to upgrade again until this one completely stops working.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Flames66 said:
lacktheknack said:

Do note that some laptop manufacturers consider £1 = $1, and that gaming laptops are well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Still, Dell can get you a Core i3 laptop with an ATi 5650 card for well under £700. (Although it's very easy to go past that with the upgrades.)

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Delusibeta said:
lacktheknack said:
Flames66 said:
lacktheknack said:

Do note that some laptop manufacturers consider £1 = $1, and that gaming laptops are well beyond the point of diminishing returns. Still, Dell can get you a Core i3 laptop with an ATi 5650 card for well under £700. (Although it's very easy to go past that with the upgrades.)
If you're skilled enough to build it yourself, though, that halves the price in some cases.