Shibboleths...

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
"Shibboleth" sounds like the name of a horrible Lovecraftian monstrosity.

Anyway. In Wales, where I go on holiday every year, there is a town called "Eglwyswrw". I challenge you to pronounce this correctly if you're not Welsh (I only vaguely know how to do it, and that's from being taught by Welsh friends/relatives).

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
lechat said:
australian and everyone fails to fake the accent. just so you know croc dundee and steve irwin have accents that you would basically never hear in australia

best way to sum up australian pronounciation is with
"how is it going" howzitgoin
Not to mention that people from outside Victoria always call it "Melbourne" when it's pronounced "Melbun."

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
lechat said:
australian and everyone fails to fake the accent. just so you know croc dundee and steve irwin have accents that you would basically never hear in australia

best way to sum up australian pronounciation is with
"how is it going" howzitgoin
Not to mention that people from outside Victoria always call it "Melbourne" when it's pronounced "Melbun."
what part of oz are you from?
i'm from syd and i've always thought it was melben

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
lechat said:
Suburb of Melbourne. I live there, so of course I know how to pronounce it right. I just don't meet a lot of people that don't in my daily life. Have met them, though.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
The classical Dutch (well, Flemish) one is "Schild ende Vriend" (Shield and Friend), which was supposedly used during the "Brugse Metten" to weed out all the non-flemish (ie French) people (and kill them).

not_the_dm

Aug 5, 2009
Slaithewaite.
Go on, try. Nope, that's wrong, it's pronounced "Slough-ut" (I imagine it helps if you know how to pronounce Slough).
Oh, and then there's Haddenham. That's said Adnum. And grass doesn't have an 'r' in it.

Aug 1, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Drizzt

Please pronounce taht for me.
ITS PRONOUNCED DRIZZIT I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS THE "T" BEING SILENT SOUNDS RETARDED.

OT: My county. Siskiyou.

Seems simple, but I have yet to hear it pronounced perfectly.

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
leet_x1337 said:
lechat said:
Suburb of Melbourne. I live there, so of course I know how to pronounce it right. I just don't meet a lot of people that don't in my daily life. Have met them, though.
lol debatable that either of us is pronouncing it right since it is more than likely named after some place in england or at least using their spelling.

here's a decent site for listening to the pronouciation but i would love to hear a pom say it just to be sure the yanks arent the only ones saying it wrong
http://www.forvo.com/word/melbourne/

Crises^

Sep 21, 2010
In Ireland we have a lot of these too :D
For instance Dún Laoghaire pronounced dun Lee re

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Leadfinger said:
In Massachusetts, the city of Worcester is pronounced, "Wistaa."
The original and best (that's a lie, it's too far south) is pronounced 'wusster'. Supposedly it was great as an anti-German spy tactic since it appears in most kitchen cupboards outside Yorkshire.

Closer to home there's 'Slaithwaite', 'Dodworth', 'Cudworth', 'Barugh', 'Scunthorpe' and 'Clitheroe'. That last one isn't actually deceptive, but someone pointed out that it does say Clit Hero.

Scunthorpe is also not deceptive, and unfortunately it seems the amusement value of the game 'Find the rude word in Scunthorpe' is diminished when it's written down.

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
I'm from New Zealand and few people outside of our little part of the world know much about the Maori language.

Glad I'm not from this place though because you could never fit it on a passport:

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
BringBackBuck said:
I'm from New Zealand and few people outside of our little part of the world know much about the Maori language.

Glad I'm not from this place though because you could never fit it on a passport:

your country just got trolled by whoever named that place.
any idea what it means?
if i had to guess it's prolly something like "lush island of proud warriors who will either fuck your shit up or be your best drinking buddy" but i'm just guessing based on my maori friends

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Tropicaz said:
My favourite word to get German/French people to say in English is Squirrel. My sister's Boyfriend is french and just cannot say it, and AFAIK there is no sound similar the 'qui' bit in German so they struggle to form the sound.
Can't say that I ever had problems with "squirrel", considering how we have quite some words with qu. And, if nothing else helps, we just go and replace it with kw anyways. Bekause.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
Zantos said:
Leadfinger said:
In Massachusetts, the city of Worcester is pronounced, "Wistaa."
The original and best (that's a lie, it's too far south) is pronounced 'wusster'. Supposedly it was great as an anti-German spy tactic since it appears in most kitchen cupboards outside Yorkshire.

Closer to home there's 'Slaithwaite', 'Dodworth', 'Cudworth', 'Barugh', 'Scunthorpe' and 'Clitheroe'. That last one isn't actually deceptive, but someone pointed out that it does say Clit Hero.

Scunthorpe is also not deceptive, and unfortunately it seems the amusement value of the game 'Find the rude word in Scunthorpe' is diminished when it's written down.
My old english teacher used to pronounce dodworth how it's spelled (dod-worth) rather than the proper way (dod-uth) it made us all laugh

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Eleuthera said:
The classical Dutch (well, Flemish) one is "Schild ende Vriend" (Shield and Friend), which was supposedly used during the "Brugse Metten" to weed out all the non-flemish (ie French) people (and kill them).
See, I thought that was more applicable to Germans... since Dutch pronounce it as 'skildt', whereas Germans would pronounce it as 'sheeldt'... *shrug* (while the French don't actually have that phonology)

Tropicaz said:
My favourite word to get German/French people to say in English is Squirrel. My sister's Boyfriend is french and just cannot say it, and AFAIK there is no sound similar the 'qui' bit in German so they struggle to form the sound.
'Squirrel' was used by British troops to identify German infiltrators during WWII because even fluent ENglish speaking Germans would pronounce it as 'skvirrel'...(!)

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Eleuthera said:
See, I thought that was more applicable to Germans... since Dutch pronounce it as 'skildt', whereas Germans would pronounce it as 'sheeldt'... *shrug* (while the French don't actually have that phonology)
The Dutch pronounciation is closer to the German actually, the 'sch' sound is 'sg', the French would pronounce it "Skilt ende Freent" instead of "Sgilt ende Vreened"

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
My name is "Mårten", and without fail, non-native speakers (except Danish and Norwegians because they have a very similar language to Swedish) will pronounce it as "Marten", "Morten", "Moherten", "Maurten", "Meerten" or "Moarten". Even efter several tries.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
"G'day".

Apparently, USAliens pronounce it "Gee day", whereas locals will tell you it was "Gud day" way back when people would actually say that.

Also, "forehead" is pronounced "for'd", much the same way as actors in period British telemovies about sailors pronounce "forward".