Shifting from one game to another (LoL to Dota2)

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
To my knowledge, Troll Warlord is not returning for DotA 2 (he was by far my best character) so that's a point against DotA for me. As for your situation, I would go wherever your friends go.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I usually only play one of any genre of game, because I find it difficult to get out of habits from one game that aren't necessarily useful in another.

After playing Halo for ages I'd switch to Call of Duty and miss loads of melee kills because I'd crouch instead of Knifing, that kind of thing.

I play League of Legends too, and I don't think i'd want to switch to any other moba, because I've got a reasonable knowledge of everything in Leage now (champions, items, builds, counters etc) and it would take me too long to get the hang of another one, unless they had similar things, in which case, why should I bother changing?

Captcha: old codger

It's my birthday in 4 days, HOW DID YOU KNOW!!!!

-KC-

Jul 15, 2010
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Evilpigeon said:
It's not a big deal, both games are free to play. Play both, pick your favourite. You're probably right about the time investment prohibiting your from playing both though. If you're concerned about balance then DotA 2 is going to cause a tonne of problems whilst you're learning it though. However well it works at a competitive level the game doesn't take lower level play into account at all (League at least tones down the very worst offenders) you're going to meet a lot of pubstompers and a lot of champions that only do well because your allies aren't good enough to play to counter.
That's something I've been hearing a lot of. The word "counter". Can you see who picks what champion before the game starts in Dota2? I mean, you can exploit a champions weakness in Lol if you happen to have the right champion by random goddam chance or good teamplay, but you can never just straight up "counter" something. Are certain champions just straight up counters to other champions? Is this another thing I would have to learn :/
You will need to learn the hero you pick is weak against some heros strong agaisnt others.

Using brewmaster as a good example, he fucks up any auto attack carry by throwing beer on them giving a 75% miss chance and if they are daft enough to 1v1 you have 25% dodge chance to boot.

With that said you can build an item to make your attacks unmissable/dodgeable

Its like a massive circle of counters ;) no 1 champion is strong against all other champions :)
That sounds alright then. In League you can never really kill a well-fed carry. Its nice to know its more....open I guess. Problem is finding out who I like to play :/ could take a while. Actually, the problem is getting a beta key, haha.

This holds true for dota 2 mostly a well fed and farmed carry should well carry, but if your carry/support are smart enough to quickly work out the lynch pin player on the enemy team you build to counter him and not worry about the other weaklings ;)

Also blackking bar an item that makes you immune to all magic for 6 seconds or so, its amazing in some situations but shit in others, you need a good team compasition, compared to legue in which last time i played if you stack fat high hp heros on your team you win.

You're entirely wrong, you do need good team composition in LoL in order to win games (most of the time). E.g. going for Kennen mid, Vlad top, with Ashe as AD carry where she throws her arrow at enemy team while Vlad ults on top of it with Kennen E-ing (or flashing) and using his ult to easily win a fight because of massive amount of AoE dmg this team comp provides to you.

Also you're wrong about HP heroes :S and if you actually played LoL for more than 50 games you would know that there are champions like Vayne and Warwick which do more dmg based on HP of enemy they're fighting against, and there are also items like Madreds Bloodrazor which does the same thing, so more HP doesn't equal wining games like you said, it's actually pretty easy to counter. LoL is all about winning your lane (by farming and zoning) and being able to cooperate teamfights with your team (while taking baron buff and dragon).

LoL is a lot more noob friendly while DotA is harder game which requires a lot more time to understand itemization and how some champions work. Hardest champions in LoL to master and play are Orianna, Cassiopeia and Lee, while in DotA Pandaren Brewmaster is harder to play than all of them together if using him to his full potential. Just an example.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
-KC- said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Evilpigeon said:
It's not a big deal, both games are free to play. Play both, pick your favourite. You're probably right about the time investment prohibiting your from playing both though. If you're concerned about balance then DotA 2 is going to cause a tonne of problems whilst you're learning it though. However well it works at a competitive level the game doesn't take lower level play into account at all (League at least tones down the very worst offenders) you're going to meet a lot of pubstompers and a lot of champions that only do well because your allies aren't good enough to play to counter.
That's something I've been hearing a lot of. The word "counter". Can you see who picks what champion before the game starts in Dota2? I mean, you can exploit a champions weakness in Lol if you happen to have the right champion by random goddam chance or good teamplay, but you can never just straight up "counter" something. Are certain champions just straight up counters to other champions? Is this another thing I would have to learn :/
You will need to learn the hero you pick is weak against some heros strong agaisnt others.

Using brewmaster as a good example, he fucks up any auto attack carry by throwing beer on them giving a 75% miss chance and if they are daft enough to 1v1 you have 25% dodge chance to boot.

Its like a massive circle of counters ;) no 1 champion is strong against all other champions :)
That sounds alright then. In League you can never really kill a well-fed carry. Its nice to know its more....open I guess. Problem is finding out who I like to play :/ could take a while. Actually, the problem is getting a beta key, haha.

This holds true for dota 2 mostly a well fed and farmed carry should well carry, but if your carry/support are smart enough to quickly work out the lynch pin player on the enemy team you build to counter him and not worry about the other weaklings ;)

Also blackking bar an item that makes you immune to all magic for 6 seconds or so, its amazing in some situations but shit in others, you need a good team compasition, compared to legue in which last time i played if you stack fat high hp heros on your team you win.

You're entirely wrong, you do need good team composition in LoL in order to win games (most of the time). E.g. going for Kennen mid, Vlad top, with Ashe as AD carry where she throws her arrow at enemy team while Vlad ults on top of it with Kennen E-ing (or flashing) and using his ult to easily win a fight because of massive amount of AoE dmg this team comp provides to you.

Also you're wrong about HP heroes :S and if you actually played LoL for more than 50 games you would know that there are champions like Vayne and Warwick which do more dmg based on HP of enemy they're fighting against, and there are also items like Madreds Bloodrazor which does the same thing, so more HP doesn't equal wining games like you said, it's actually pretty easy to counter. LoL is all about winning your lane (by farming and zoning) and being able to cooperate teamfights with your team (while taking baron buff and dragon).

LoL is a lot more noob friendly while DotA is harder game which requires a lot more time to understand itemization and how some champions work. Hardest champions in LoL to master and play are Orianna, Cassiopeia and Lee, while in DotA Pandaren Brewmaster is harder to play than all of them together if using him to his full potential. Just an example.
Mooi on US servers 700 wins think about 1500 played or so total, last i played the tankyness of the meta was ridiculous even with HP% based damage on champs and madreds or true damage via olaf tanky fat teams at the time would steam role, LOL also hated stealth at the time, this was probably... nearly a year ago? maybe a tad shorter.

Also i detest knockup every other cc can be reduced to a degree again may have changed.

Protip against akali: Carry vision wards "pocket warding" she gets cocky drop a ward in her lolcircle free kill generally as most think they are safe as houses in there smoke shroud.

Favourite champ was Brand, rush rylais and bust em up combo style, i'm low hp? awesome! chase me, chase me, walk into my stun, sweet time for a meaty pillar of fire in your mush.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
From the way this thread looks like, it's comparing Super Turbo to Street Fighter 4.

God if that is a good enough comparison then I will gladly have a good look at DOTA 2, the idea that "everything is OP, so nothing is" is very appealing, and is a balancing philosophy that I am not against.

I have definitely gotten bored of LoL, it would be nice to have a look at DOTA 2.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Don Savik said:
Evilpigeon said:
Well most of league isn't blind pick, nearly everyone plays draft pick where you can see what everyopne else has. DotA 2 is the same so far as i know. Counters counter harder in DotA though. There is a hell of a lot to learn in DotA but once you know it all, the game isn't really as complex as people try to make it out to be. Just as with LoL, the best players are the ones who are best at farming, positioning and make the right decisions.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Now, I know absolutely nothing about MOBA games in general, but why can't you just play both? Sure, you'd need to learn the intricacies and differences between both of them, and it would probably take a while to get used to what differences there are, but if you're still having fun with the first game and you think you're going to have fun with the second, why not play both? Is it really that much of a time sink, because if so then I find it simultaneously hilarious and sad that people still bash WoW for being a massive time sink when it's possible to be a competitive hard-mode raider even if you only raid one or two nights a week.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
shrekfan246 said:
Now, I know absolutely nothing about MOBA games in general, but why can't you just play both? Sure, you'd need to learn the intricacies and differences between both of them, and it would probably take a while to get used to what differences there are, but if you're still having fun with the first game and you think you're going to have fun with the second, why not play both? Is it really that much of a time sink, because if so then I find it simultaneously hilarious and sad that people still bash WoW for being a massive time sink when it's possible to be a competitive hard-mode raider even if you only raid one or two nights a week.
On average one match will last between 30-45 minutes so if you having 3 games an evening its quite the time sink :p

I'm with you on the wow front, used to be in method when they were still on sylvanas back in vanilla hardcore raider yeah i spent about 20 hours a week playing total which isn't bad at all :p as i wasn't really playing anything else.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Rastien said:
-KC- said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Evilpigeon said:

Mooi on US servers 700 wins think about 1500 played or so total, last i played the tankyness of the meta was ridiculous even with HP% based damage on champs and madreds or true damage via olaf tanky fat teams at the time would steam role, LOL also hated stealth at the time, this was probably... nearly a year ago? maybe a tad shorter.

Also i detest knockup every other cc can be reduced to a degree again may have changed.

Protip against akali: Carry vision wards "pocket warding" she gets cocky drop a ward in her lolcircle free kill generally as most think they are safe as houses in there smoke shroud.

Favourite champ was Brand, rush rylais and bust em up combo style, i'm low hp? awesome! chase me, chase me, walk into my stun, sweet time for a meaty pillar of fire in your mush.
I don't wanna sound harsh but you're not just a year out of date, you're playing at a low level. You were talking about either negative or even win/loss games, you don't need tactics if you're average to bad because when everyone is average to bad everyone is making too many mistakes for tactics to matter.

As of right now, there is a good variety of viable tactics and team comps in LoL. The only real problem is that they almost all revolve around the same standard lane composition. This will change with time, several professional teams are running tactics based on other laning compositions, the real problem is that sustain has been nerfed a lot so there aren't many champions who can successfully 2v1 an AD, Support lane. This means that most strategies that mix up the lanes tend to die in the face of a professional level bottom lane.

You can do at any other level however, I've run double jungle or roamers with success in stuff low level tournaments like Go4LoL

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Rastien said:
On average one match will last between 30-45 minutes so if you having 3 games an evening its quite the time sink :p

I'm with you on the wow front, used to be in method when they were still on sylvanas back in vanilla hardcore raider yeah i spent about 20 hours a week playing total which isn't bad at all :p as i wasn't really playing anything else.
Fair enough, like I said I don't know anything about MOBA games, it's probably one of the few "genres" that I've never actually played before. I guess since I can't really input anything helpful to this thread I'll just duck back out now. >.>

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
Evilpigeon said:
Rastien said:
-KC- said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Rastien said:
Don Savik said:
Evilpigeon said:

I don't wanna sound harsh but you're not just a year out of date, you're playing at a low level. You were talking about either negative or even win/loss games, you don't need tactics if you're average to bad because when everyone is average to bad everyone is making too many mistakes for tactics to matter.

As of right now, there is a good variety of viable tactics and team comps in LoL. The only real problem is that they almost all revolve around the same standard lane composition. This will change with time, several professional teams are running tactics based on other laning compositions, the real problem is that sustain has been nerfed a lot so there aren't many champions who can successfully 2v1 an AD, Support lane. This means that most strategies that mix up the lanes tend to die in the face of a professional level bottom lane.

You can do at any other level however, I've run double jungle or roamers with success in stuff low level tournaments like Go4LoL
True enough, i was never great just disapproved greatly of the 50 games comment, its rare to get me to bite but people making assumtions of myself will do it :p

Fair enough, your right i'm wrong.

Still prefer dota 2 and believe its the more challenging and complex game. Generally prefer the play style of it and intresting champions.

Anyways you clearly have alot more incite into legue than i do, so i can't really comment on the differences between legue and dota.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I've successfully made a thread (about mobas even) that hasn't derailed into a screaming rage-fest. I think that's a pretty good accomplishment.

shrekfan246 said:
I think its just the nature of the game. Battles take 20 minutes to an hour long. Its like learning how to play pro in Starcraft 2 while also learning to get better at an entirely different RTS at the same time. If you focus on both you aren't going to be as good. I'm not a full-blown hardcore moba player (because I lack friends for a full team :C ) but I still would like to be decently good at them. Also you pick up bad habits switching games a lot. Try playing games similar to Call of Duty for a while, and then switch over to Tribes Ascend.

Funnily enough I do play WoW from time to time. I'm not raiding like I was in Wrath, but even when I did raid on Wrath it didn't take up my life like some people make it. I think the difference is that WoW raiding was a matter of scheduling people's lives so that they were free all at the same time, whereas in a moba you're playing the same champion over and over and over again to get better. There isn't much of a practicing curve in Warcraft, boss fights are difficult because of team coordination, and not so much about class skill.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
Rastien said:
True enough, i was never great just disapproved greatly of the 50 games comment, its rare to get me to bite but people making assumtions of myself will do it :p

Fair enough, your right i'm wrong.

Still prefer dota 2 and believe its the more challenging and complex game. Generally prefer the play style of it and intresting champions.

Anyways you clearly have alot more incite into legue than i do, so i can't really comment on the differences between legue and dota.
Yeah i don't know enough about DotA anymore to compare :p

shrekfan246

May 26, 2011
Don Savik said:
I've successfully made a thread (about mobas even) that hasn't derailed into a screaming rage-fest. I think that's a pretty good accomplishment.

shrekfan246 said:
I think its just the nature of the game. Battles take 20 minutes to an hour long. Its like learning how to play pro in Starcraft 2 while also learning to get better at an entirely different RTS at the same time. If you focus on both you aren't going to be as good. I'm not a full-blown hardcore moba player (because I lack friends for a full team :C ) but I still would like to be decently good at them. Also you pick up bad habits switching games a lot. Try playing games similar to Call of Duty for a while, and then switch over to Tribes Ascend.

Funnily enough I do play WoW from time to time. I'm not raiding like I was in Wrath, but even when I did raid on Wrath it didn't take up my life like some people make it. I think the difference is that WoW raiding was a matter of scheduling people's lives so that they were free all at the same time, whereas in a moba you're playing the same champion over and over and over again to get better. There isn't much of a practicing curve in Warcraft, boss fights are difficult because of team coordination, and not so much about class skill.
Yeah, I can see that. I suppose that I don't particularly want to be an end-game raider in any other MMO right now that I'm still actively end-game raiding in WoW. I'd get frustrated juggling the two games even if I do only raid an average of five hours a week. Well, I know slightly more than I did half an hour ago, at least!

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Don Savik said:
Shameless plug; you should totally join the Escapist DOTA 2 usergroup if you want to find someone to play with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/DotA-2
Sounds cool, I'll join when I actually can play the game though. Gosh darn Gaben taunting me with beta keys.......

With an average of 40,000 players on at a time, why is it still in beta? Seriously Valve, lol.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
Don Savik said:
I've posted but never made a thread as I didn't have a topic idea pop into my head. My thoughts are being drown out by a sea of sexism threads. So lets talk about games because games are fun.

So, I got into League of Legends at the start of the year. It was the first Moba I played (I did try it once when the game and I were both young, and I had no idea wtf it was and hated it) and it was quite engaging now that I know what is going on. Its like discovering the FPS or RPG genre for the first time. Needless to say I've played a lot of it already (currently lvl 21).

Buuuuut....Dota 2 is coming around the corner. Now, I haven't gotten around to playing it because Valve is picky with their beta keys apparently (except 40k people play it constantly according to Steam...so......) but from watching videos on it constantly I'm genuinely intrigued. I want to play it, but I don't like League of Legends any less. I don't think any of the games are worse or better than each other and I don't favor one art style over the other.

But seeing as its a game were you have to learn to get good with one character and the mechanics, I'm having problems deciding which one I want to play when both are available. Does anyone have this problem? I know I COULD play both, but the nature of the games really require some devotion and training, and I feel like the games are so similar I would get bored of playing both....as they're essentially the same game. Maybe its a case of "oooooh shiny new game", who knows. I just would like to know what you gals and guys think are deciding factors in choosing which game out of all the games you like to play.
I had the same thought on DOTA 2 as you, but I was lucky enough to get a beta key.
Dota is...unforgiving, and can be significantly more difficult than Lol.
There is a MUCH higher burden of knowledge: you have to know where the juke areas in the trees are..you have to know EVERY ONE of your enemies abilities or you're going to get owned hard. The items are a bit more complicated (but they're easy to get after a dozen or so games). On the whole I tend to like DOTA a bit more than Lol, but I still play league all the time.
It's a VERY fun game, but be prepared for a WICKED SICK (killing spree pun alert) learning curve.

here is what to expect:
1.You will be 100--0'd mid game if you take a step in the wrong direction. There are a LOT of heroes who can burst you into NOTHING if they have a significant level advantage.

2. You will see a hard carry who has 10 kills and 250 cs at 35 min. depending on who the carry is and how far behind your team is and your own teams comp, that carry will probably then proceed to 1v5 your entire team and win by a wide margin.

3. you will spend over 100 games just figuring out what this strange new game is all about. Then you will realize you know nothing.

4.You will learn how to use the ignore and report function. (the RAAAAGE the RAAAGE!!! oh dear god...rage everywhere.)

DOTA is fun. The only reason I'm still playing LoL really is because there are people in LoL that I play with, and DOTA is not a good game to play by yourself in. Duo que is good. (I'm RIDICULOUSLY antisocial. it takes me FOREVER to find people to play with because I will NEVER ever ever ever make the first move or the first invite.)