Shigeru Miyamoto Urges Developers To Embrace Novelty

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
WeepingAngels said:
[
Oh wow, multiplayer, because that's never happened before in a Mario game.
Not in a 3D Mario, now. Nor in any 3D platformer that I can think of. If Nintendo pulls this off, it will be a big step for the genre.

Some of us don't give a shit about muliplayer. I am not calling for Mario Galaxy 3, I would really like a true sequel to SM64
And if you watch the trailer again, you'll notice that many of the levels are actually reminiscent of 64-era Mario, having much wider spaces and multiple paths, compared to the more restricted level design of 3D Land. In fact, one level in particular looks strikingly reminiscent of Lethal Lava Land.

but I didn't say that until now, stop assuming. I really didn't care for the Galaxy games, they just didn't hit the spot for me.

I thought 3D land was pretty good, not great though. Had some fantastic levels but so do most Mario games. Nothing out of the ordinary. A true 3D Mario isn't level based, it's more open world like SM64 and Sunshine.
Bullshit. The Galaxy games were true 3D Mario games, and won more acclaim than any other game in the series. And they weren't open world. In fact, linear level design usually leads to better platforming, as it allows platforms, enemies etc to all be tightly design and placed in co-ordination with each other.
Maybe that's why I didn't care for the Galaxy games, because they weren't open world. Atleast the Galaxy games didn't have us sliding down flagpoles.

Anyway, those are my opinions, take them or leave them. Super Mario 3D World isn't the 3D Mario I wanted.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
mysecondlife said:
His smile can totally end war.

What's that thing he's holding?
It looks like a box of chocolates. I think he was meeting with Forrest Gump.

Honestly that last paragraph gets on my nerves. People don't need to be "truly spectacular designers" like Miyamoto to make new and interesting concepts and games, they just need to put forth the effort. Unfortunately bigger companies seem to only know how to make basic and generic action games so they can funnel all of their massive budgets into graphics, voice acting and marketing.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
I love this thread full of Nintendo fanboys defending the lack of creativity coming from Nintendo and the Nintendo haters bashing nintendo into the ground when it doesn't really deserve it all that much.

Imma stay out for now, but I'm going to say this, Miyamoto is not the right person to say this.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Battleaxx90 said:
JustanotherGamer said:
I'm just going to say this WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE GIMMICKS???????????????

I'm getting so pissed off with this word being used by every **** out there against Nintendo without anyone ever saying what the fuck the gimmicks are so please do inform me.
Good question. Let's ask dictionary.com!

Gim·mick [gim-ik]
Noun

1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
2. a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
3. a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.
4. Electronics Informal. a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires.
Verb
5. To equip or embellish with unnecessary features, especially in order to increase salability, acceptance, etc. (often followed by up): to gimmick up a sports car with chrome and racing stripes.

Amazing what you can find on the Internet these days...
Which surprises me to this day when hardcore fans demanded the gimmicky rumble feature to be added back into the ps3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/09/new-ps3-controller-loses-dualshock-vibration/

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Though I am curious why the Journalist ignored everything about the interview other than that little nugget. Kinda upsets me a little for such a sloppy job.

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/18/shigeru-miyamoto-apologizes-for-wii-u-game-delays-says-the-best-is-nearly-here/

If I didn't look at the actual interview itself, I would of believed it was just that single question. Instead of Miyamoto apologizing to costumers for the delay in the games.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Negatempest said:
Though I am curious why the Journalist ignored everything about the interview other than that little nugget. Kinda upsets me a little for such a sloppy job.

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/18/shigeru-miyamoto-apologizes-for-wii-u-game-delays-says-the-best-is-nearly-here/

If I didn't look at the actual interview itself, I would of believed it was just that single question. Instead of Miyamoto apologizing to costumers for the delay in the games.
Because Cavelli is the worst writer on the staff, by a wide margin. His bias and lack of proper journalism etiquette overshadow everything he does, and has for a while. Him still being here while Susan Arendt is gone is among humanity's most awful crimes.

OT: When Madden makes small changes that improve gameplay: "MADDEN IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR"
When Call of Duty makes new maps and tweaks multiplayer to improve it: "CALL OF DUTY IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR"
When Nintendo remakes Mario 3, with a new item or two: "TOTALLY NEW AND ORIGINAL!"
Ah, that explains it.

But lets be honest here. Madden is by far the worst offender and you know it. :p

As for Mario, I won't argue about visual comparisons. To me Nintendo makes great couch-coop games and will not complain about that. I have brothers and sisters who want to play video games too, so I love playing with them. :p

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Negatempest said:
Negatempest said:

Because Cavelli is the worst writer on the staff, by a wide margin. His bias and lack of proper journalism etiquette overshadow everything he does, and has for a while. Him still being here while Susan Arendt is gone is among humanity's most awful crimes.

OT: When Madden makes small changes that improve gameplay: "MADDEN IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR"
When Call of Duty makes new maps and tweaks multiplayer to improve it: "CALL OF DUTY IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR"
When Nintendo remakes Mario 3, with a new item or two: "TOTALLY NEW AND ORIGINAL!"
Ah, that explains it.

But lets be honest here. Madden is by far the worst offender and you know it. :p

As for Mario, I won't argue about visual comparisons. To me Nintendo makes great couch-coop games and will not complain about that. I have brothers and sisters who want to play video games too, so I love playing with them. :p
I play Madden fairly regularly, and I would say... NO. The changes that happen every year are actually really huge, but 85% of the Escapist already admitted they have zero interest in sports, and even less in sports video games, so I don't expect anyone to understand.
pfft, I stopped liking Madden when moments like these stopped happening. :p

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
JustanotherGamer said:
I'm just going to say this WHAT THE FUCK ARE THE GIMMICKS???????????????

I'm getting so pissed off with this word being used by every **** out there against Nintendo without anyone ever saying what the fuck the gimmicks are so please do inform me.
"It's not what I'm used to and I don't like it."

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
l3o2828 said:
I love this thread full of Nintendo fanboys defending the lack of creativity coming from Nintendo and the Nintendo haters bashing nintendo into the ground when it doesn't really deserve it all that much.

Imma stay out for now, but I'm going to say this, Miyamoto is not the right person to say this.
Why? As much as people harp on the overuse of the IPs he craeted... he DID create them. And he does continue coming up with new things, which I know don't count because REASONS SHUT UP, but they ARE new.

Stan Lee hasn't created much that's noteworthy in recent years either... but he's still Stan Lee and he's craeted more than anyone here has.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
While I agree with Miyamoto-san, I still contest the intelligence of Nintendo's particular avenue of entertainment.

Certainly, games of late have become this boring homogenized mass. The games that got me into gaming rarely come out anymore (DECENT non-tactical RPG's, compelling adventure games).

As much as I want to buy the Wii-U however, I can't ignore that controller, which has poor battery life and gets uncomfortable. They are just as guilty of gimmicks as anyone else.

It worked in their favor on the Wii, but they've lost some of that focus. Here's hoping the injection of decent games next year improves that vision. Even still, it's sad that Wii-U doesn't have any party killer apps until 2 years into the cycle! I'm not counting Mario, considering that I OD'ed on Mario years ago, and can't look at that plumber anymore.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Zhukov said:
That is a horrible, horrible photo.

I'm sure he's a very nice old fellow, but that photo makes him look like something that hides under the bed.
He could hide under my bed anytime.

We could be spotpass buddies.