Shit songs on great albums

Cakes

Aug 26, 2009
There are a couple of songs on The Wall that I always skip...can't remember the names. That's how badly they suck.

Ranis

Dec 15, 2008
"Great Gig in the Sky" has always been one big pile of nothing to me on Dark Side of the Moon

and "You Lookin At Me Lookin At You" on Blizzard of Oz always embodied all of my hate for the undeserved attention that album gets over "Heaven and Hell"

and one more just for the sake of throwing it on here, on Rainbow's Rising, "Do You Close Your Eyes" always bugged the crap out of me with it's lame concept compared the the rest of that amazing album

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
That song "Not Me" on This Mortal Coil's "It'll End In Tears" album is stylistically 100% opposed to the rest of the album and just completely kills the mood. I always skip that track when I play it. Remove that track and it's the perfect album.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
MiketheBassMan said:
miracleofsound said:
Iron Maiden
Quest for Fire
from Piece of Mind
That. In the running for worst song ever, except maybe contending with "Die With Your Boots On."
It does have comedy value, I sometimes pthe first line to biddies to annoy them...

'In a time... when dinosaurs walked the earth!'

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
clairedelune said:
I'm probably gonna get slammed for this, but I always thought Money was really out of place on dark side of the moon. It's good for radio playability, but it doesn't have the depth of the other songs, and the topic isn't consistent, and the tone isn't consistent... I don't mind the song itself but it doesn't fit.
I actually felt that Money was crucial to the concept of "Dark Side of the Moon" - it's an album about life, and the numerous things which affect it - Time (from "Time", obvioiusly), death ("The Great gig in the sky"), the concept of have and have not ("Us and Them"), Insanity (Brain Damage), and yet, at the centre of all this, the thing which our entire lives revolve around - is money. Ever notice how "Money" is in the dead centre of the album? I'm sorry, but it fits perfectly.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
miracleofsound said:
scnj said:
A
The Angel And The Gambler from Virtual XI by Iron Maiden
I tend to skip that whole album...
I actually tend to listen to it more than No Prayer For The Dying or Killers.

Ranis

Dec 15, 2008
SonicKoala said:
I actually felt that Money was crucial to the concept of "Dark Side of the Moon" - it's an album about life, and the numerous things which affect it - Time (from "Time", obvioiusly), death ("The Great gig in the sky"), the concept of have and have not ("Us and Them"), Insanity (Brain Damage), and yet, at the centre of all this, the thing which our entire lives revolve around - is money. Ever notice how "Money" is in the dead centre of the album? I'm sorry, but it fits perfectly.
woah my mind has just been blown
I've never really looked that far into the actual concept since Dark Side has always kinda been hiding behind the shadow of Animals in my head

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Ranis said:
SonicKoala said:
woah my mind has just been blown
I've never really looked that far into the actual concept since Dark Side has always kinda been hiding behind the shadow of Animals in my head
Yeah, i was listening to the album late at night one time and this just came to me - there's a good reason I think that Dark Side is one of the best concept albums ever.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
scnj said:
miracleofsound said:
scnj said:
A
The Angel And The Gambler from Virtual XI by Iron Maiden
I tend to skip that whole album...
I actually tend to listen to it more than No Prayer For The Dying or Killers.
Really? Wow, I loved NPFTD... Mother Russia, Tailgunner... two of my faves.

I just couldn't get used to Blaze on vocals. It was like all my birthdays came at once when Brave New World came out.

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
Sven und EIN HUND said:
Disturbed
Shout 2000 and Conflict
on "The Sickness"
Eh, Conflict is kind of repetitive but not that bad, and I really like Shout 2000. Droppin' Plates though... Dear God that song is awful.

Ranis

Dec 15, 2008
And I just remembered "Escape" off Ride the Lightning, it's just nothing compared to everything else on the album and it's such an attempt at a catchy chorus. It's just lame

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
SonicKoala said:
clairedelune said:
I'm probably gonna get slammed for this, but I always thought Money was really out of place on dark side of the moon. It's good for radio playability, but it doesn't have the depth of the other songs, and the topic isn't consistent, and the tone isn't consistent... I don't mind the song itself but it doesn't fit.
Yeah, I can see what you are getting at, but I look at the album more on an individual level and as an album on the process of losing your mind and becoming insane (Dark Side of the Moon is not the most subtle title). I feel like it was just put on the album because it is easy to play on the radio, since you don't even have to listen to the whole song to get what it is about. I find that usually, and on every other song on the album, Pink Floyd has a lot more depth to their songs and they are more complex than that.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
clairedelune said:
SonicKoala said:
clairedelune said:
Yeah, I can see what you are getting at, but I look at the album more on an individual level and as an album on the process of losing your mind and becoming insane (Dark Side of the Moon is not the most subtle title). I feel like it was just put on the album because it is easy to play on the radio, since you don't even have to listen to the whole song to get what it is about. I find that usually, and on every other song on the album, Pink Floyd has a lot more depth to their songs and they are more complex than that.
Well, it's not suppose to be looked at on an individual level, the band came together before the writing of the album and chose the concept they wanted to address. That being said, musically, Money is a complex song, but since I have a feeling you're referencing the message, sure, the meaning of Money is pretty straightforward, but that doesn't mean it's out of place. That's nice that you "feel" it was "just" put on the album due to its mainstream appeal, but that's blatantly inaccurate. Floyd were trying to convey a particular theme with "Dark Side", and every single bit of music they put on that album contributes to that theme. Just because "Money" happened to become hugely successful doesn't mean it's any less significant. And please, the whole idea of Money is captured in the last verse - "Money/so they say/is the root of all evil today/"; You do have to listen to the whole song to get the idea.

NBSRDan

Aug 15, 2009
Holy Orders with a question mark. The hell were they thinking? Atleast it's the last track, so I can just stop early.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
On Gnarls Barkley's "The Odd Couple" album I generally skip song #6, "Open Book". It's not a bad song, but all other songs are fairly speedy and industrial like while this one is some kind of hip-hop semi-dance crossover with heavy screams in it. It differs just so much from the rest of the album.

For Rammstein, I always skip "Amerika" from the "Reise, Reise" album. This is because I didn't really get into Rammstein before 2008ish - "Reise, Reise" and the "Amerika" single were released in 2004 which meant that by the time I got the actual album that specific song was just another pop song I had heard over 200 times already.

Last but not least, and this isn't something any of you will recognize, from the "The Great Awake" album by "The Flatliners" I always skip the first two songs ("July, August, Reno!" and "Eulogy") because A) they sound fairly pop-punky which is a HUGE contrast to all the other songs on the album and B) I've heard both of them over a hundred times before.