Shocking things in children's games?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Tell me that ripping the tentacles off of Blooper in Mario Sunshine isn't as horrific as some of the things in games rated M.

What are some other things you've been shocked to find in a kid's game?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A lot of games from the arcade days of the late 80s and the 90s. Many of the stripperific women you see in Capcom brawlers, you could not get away today in kids games. Especially by the mid to late 2000s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gatuno

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You fight an aborted fetus in Earthbound right?

As a kid I always found the Donkey Kong Country game overs shocking. There's nothing cute or cheeky about them, they imply a horrible fate for the characters and the game is ruthless about it. Diddy staring across 1,000 yards at the camera, the fade to a demonic red, the kids being locked away. And of course David Wise scoring the first monke game like it's Platoon. They all have a mournful tone to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's one of the interpretations of the final boss, yes. The creator has been fairly coy about what it actually it or is supposed to be.

Mother 3 had an island where you eat Magic Mushrooms upon arrival and keep seeing your own nightmares. It's the very definition of a bad trip. It's not really spoilers but in case someone want to preserve the impact of the game until they play it, I'm putting spoiler tags. Stuff like the characters dad saying "I'm gonna beat you, boy. Daddy's gonna beat you" and his brother(who has been missing for years, presumed dead) saying "Everyone is waiting for you. Waiting to throw rocks at you, spit on you and make your life hell. Who's everyone? Everyone you love"

I mean, Jesus, that's some fucked up shit right there. Though one could make the argument that Mother 3 isn't really a kids game, it just looks like one.

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
A lot of games from the arcade days of the late 80s and the 90s. Many of the stripperific women you see in Capcom brawlers, you could not get away today in kids games. Especially by the mid to late 2000s.

Mr. Patch from Banjo Kazooie was pretty bad as well.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

As a kid I always found the Donkey Kong Country game overs shocking. There's nothing cute or cheeky about them, they imply a horrible fate for the characters and the game is ruthless about it. Diddy staring across 1,000 yards at the camera, the fade to a demonic red, the kids being locked away. And of course David Wise scoring the first monke game like it's Platoon. They all have a mournful tone to them.

The Sonic CD Game Over Theme USA version.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Ahh yes, time to take the trip down the memory lane.

While Fire Emblem: Blazing Blade (2003, holy shit I feel old) was marked rated E for everyone, the story was suprisingly rather grim. I mean it started as a simple story of a girl claiming her birth right, and then in evolves to a story of how an act of one man leads to death of many innocent and misguided characters, and almost plunge the world into chaos. I remember how suprisingly hard the game was as well. This was my first perma-death game, where I didn't realize the characters I let die won't come back. And I had no idea which character was good or bad, so I would sometimes let a character w/ high potential die (rip Guy) or never use them at all (sorry Sain)

Kingdom Hearts...... Oh yes, the first ps2 game I've gotten my hands on. I remember how shocked I was at how difficult the game was sometimes. I specifically remember being excited to leave the traverse town to really start my journey, then getting my ass kicked by the final boss at deep jungle, the court room fight in wonder land, and not making it very far at the colosseum. What started as a simple Final Fantasy x Disney crossover game turned into an adventure filled with intriguing lore not fully explained at this point. I think this was also the first game where I came to appreciate music and soundtracks in video games.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, FF6 shocked me when heroes actually lose their first fight against Kefka. Up to that point I was thinking to myself "My group is strong af, Kefka and Gestahl are nothing but deranged men, I'll save the world!" This was my first experience where the plot made the heroes lose an important battle, and everyone afterward had their reasons on the inability or no desire to take another shot at the main antagonist

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This game got a K-A rating when first released. How?! It didn't even get an MA-13! Streets of Rage 3 got an MA-13 rating, and it's way less graphic and got censored in the US/UK/EU! I played this game when I was 6 btw.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
The first half of FF9 is just one town getting massacred after another.

There's of course a computer peeking at Peach while she showers in TYDD. And its sequel is just really, really dark by Mario standards.

Drathnoxis

Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
The first half of FF9 is just one town getting massacred after another.

There's of course a computer peeking at Peach while she showers in TYDD. And its sequel is just really, really dark by Mario standards.
And if we're rating by subtext, "You found Toadstool's ???" from Mario RPG.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There is a very kid friendly seeming game for the DS or something called Magical Starsign, it looks cute and kid friendly but it is dark as fuck, if you replace being turned to gummy as dead, which is is. Its also really good.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
There is a very kid friendly seeming game for the DS or something called Magical Starsign, it looks cute and kid friendly but it is dark as fuck, if you replace being turned to gummy as dead, which is is. Its also really good.

I was actually thinking about bringing this up. Yeah that bonus boss is pretty dark as is the finale.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Kirby actually has a lot of dark things going on with its bonus bosses too. Planet Robobot involves someone being taken over by a machine and having their soul deleted from existence and the boss fight against that machine has that person's screams layered into the sounds the boss makes when you damage it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Adventure 2 - Maria Robotnik is implied to be shot and killed when sending Shadow to Earth in the flashback. Gerald Robotnik is implied to be killed by firing squad at the end of his final video message. I consider it the darkest moment in Sonic history that is done well and still holds up.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I guess I could nominate stuff:

-Jet Force Gemini: While this is a kid's game in the sense of it having the aesthetic for it, there's a fair amount of gore as well - the drones (ant-like creatures) bleed/splatter/explode into body parts depending on how you kill them, and so do the tribals (green blood for drones, red for the tribals). This includes blowing off body parts and the like.

-Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (there's an argument to be made that these are "kids games," even if I disagree (they're certainly accessible for kids), but if we're taking them as kids games, well, a list of the stuff in these could form a thread of their own. I'll just spitball the ReDeads in OoT, and the zombie father in MM (really, everything in the game has underlying menace to it).

-Pokemon: Lavender Town.

-Star Fox 64: Getting shot down (more your teammates' reaction)

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Maybe not a children's game, persay, but definitely a family friendly game. In the N64 version of California Speed, there are billboards around the track. Mostly too far away to read any text on them, but on some of them, if you get close enough to read by going way off track...

1663823082471.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The opening to Double Dragon II (Arcade).

Gunstar Superheroes allowed the words damn and hell in all versions of the game. GS got a rating of E10+ in the states. BTW, Pink shows cleavage in the outfit she wears. Also, the game gets pretty dark in the storyline depending on the difficulty. IE, if you're playing on Hard Mode, but Blue's campaign seems to be the darkest on Normal and Hard Mode. Gunstar Yellow sacrifices herself to save everyone on Blue's Nomral Story. While in Blue's Hard Story, everyone (Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow) sacrifices themselves to stop Golden Silver, only to be saved by their respective gem color at the last minute after killing him.