Sholud Valve make a console

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Rumours are going around that valve are planning on making their own console "steam box" or something. I think this is great because then we may be able to get half life 3, and L4D 3 and portal 3, and TF 3. In fact why don't they just call it the "Valve box 360" since they are already copying Microsoft by making it a box, why not a triangle?
Seriously though this could be a good thing it may force Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo to improve the quality of their products, so they survive in today's Market.
I am sorry if this is old news or has already been posted, I couldn't find anything after a brief look and felt the need to share this.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It would be an interesting turn of events if nothing else.

Though I am wary about the consequences this would have on PC gaming for a number of reasons; Steam is one of the only major beneficial market forces for PC today (it's related to the marginal cost, and in part to DRM).

For its parent company to make that kind of commitment, well, it's pretty big and the possibility of the impact it could have must be considered. You don't just enter the console market assuming that the existing oligopolies (both Publisher and Proprietor) will be welcoming.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
As long as their "console" is a cheap box that runs PC games it sounds great. I'm a PC gamer, and I play most of my games using an Xbox 360 controller.

The reason I see it as a good thing, even though I wouldn't buy one (I like my custom built PC), is that it would expand the overall market for PC games. That means more exclusives, and better quality ports.

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Pfffft!

What, so they can release one game every 7 years for it? All aboard the Fail Train, there's some space in carriage B next to the Atari Jaguar and the Virtual Boy. Toot toot!

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
So long as it is really an extremely modular borderline pc piece of hardware that's only real difference from actual pcs is its extremely self explanatory and user friendly and also easily hooked up to a tv (Yes I know you can do it with normal pcs but it requires extensively over cluttered wiring and extra components) Since those are what the console scrubs (me included) ***** about and having a way to get around that would bring everyone around. Also being modular like a pc but all of them starting at a specific standard helps standardize graphics for releases.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
isometry said:
As long as their "console" is a cheap box that runs PC games it sounds great. I'm a PC gamer, and I play most of my games using an Xbox 360 controller.

The reason I see it as a good thing, even though I wouldn't buy one (I like my custom built PC), is that it would expand the overall market for PC games. That means more exclusives, and better quality ports.
This pretty much summarizes my thoughts to a T. I just have to wonder how they'd compete with the big three WITHOUT doing something of this nature. I have students who are always asking me why they can't play Skyrim on their cheep desktops and this COULD pose an affordable solution. (Likewise, I'm not ditching my custom PC and Xbox 360 controller in a hurry but I can see the draw)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Well, if it would mean that it's a proper box with enough RAM and, well, maybe even the option to upgrade key components when the time comes, absolutely. They got a well-stocked roster of fun games, if cutting out the meddling middlemen could also translate into lower prices or better service, it's hard to imagine this as anything less than a win-win.

Peddling hardware does tend to be a neck-breaker, though. I still have that strange Windows CE box called "Dreamcast" featuring expensive "GD-ROM" technology... Cave!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I'm with most people in saying that it has to be cheap and wont make me ditch my custom PC that does everything. Though if they do make it, the hope would be that it helps refocus development on PC games since this "console" would theoretically be a PC with custom firmware.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
Yes they should. I'd prefer having a console that had steam built into it and then would let me also use my games from PC for the Steam box. I think it would also be a ***** to compete with. I hope to see their console and its capabilities as soon as possible. I can't wait.

(I really hope they go for a cool steam punk look as well.)

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
I don't really think this is a good idea, Steam to me will always be something on PC and having a console just isn't the same.
If they made their own computer and labelled it as something of such that game with steam games pre installed and maybe an OS or something of the sort that would be something interesting. I just don't feel I'd pour my money into games on a console made by Steam that I can just purchase on my PC via Steam.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
that would be amazing, because not every game runs on every system, Saints Row 1, 2 & 3 for example don't have Mac support but are on steam.. Hopefully every steam game would run on this "box"

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Evil Smurf said:
that would be amazing, because not every game runs on every system, Saints Row 1, 2 & 3 for example don't have Mac support but are on steam.. Hopefully every steam game would run on this "box"
I'm fairly sure there is already a 'box' that runs ever steam game.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Isn't it being called the Steam Box...what sort of name is that, taken literally it is a box made of steam? That can't even physically happen!

Also, it's not exactly a console, or rather I gather it'll be like the Cloud console released a while back, you don't buy games for it, you buy games from steam and you can play them on your TV with a normal controller.

Cloud console is also a stupid name!

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Yes.

A valve console has the potential to change how the console market operates for the better. Bringing in major online sales for console gamers like those we see as PC gamers.

I'd have no plans to support Steam Box until which point I can't justify the cost for a proper gaming rig. But I can't deny that adding more competition to the console market would be great for gamers.

Monkeyman O'Brien

Jan 27, 2012
No. Last thing I want is yet another fucking console with its own set of bullshit exclusives. Bring on the 1 console future!
And eh. So it can play Steam games. So what? So can my PC. I aint blowing cash on something that does nothing interesting.

BamWam

Jun 29, 2011
Batou667 said:
Pfffft!

What, so they can release one game every 7 years for it? All aboard the Fail Train, there's some space in carriage B next to the Atari Jaguar and the Virtual Boy. Toot toot!
True in sooooo many ways.