Shoot Opponents in the Nuts in Combat Arms

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
ARM02 said:
If you get shot anywhere, you're pretty much not getting up until after some hospital treatment.
Adrenaline or "Epinephrine" as it's medically known, causes the body to enter a fight or flight response state. The hormone boosts the supply of oxygen and glucose to the brain and muscles, while suppressing other non-emergency bodily processes (digestion in particular).(*1)

People can, as a result, not feel pain(*2) and thus still have full control of every bodily muscle, still be able to move freely, and continue to function at nearly 100% until the effect of adrenaline wears off. After which time, yeah, you're right. They would need medical attention, however before the effect of the Epinephrine wears off they could potentially get up and even possibly run to safety/cover

(1)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine#Actions_in_the_body
(2)http://www.lindaland.com/stressbook/page20.htm

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I think the breaking walnut graphic is really the icing on the whole thing. It's so cartoony and cheerful

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
snuffler said:
ARM02 said:
If you get shot anywhere, you're pretty much not getting up until after some hospital treatment.
Adrenaline or "Epinephrine" as it's medically known, causes the body to enter a fight or flight response state. The hormone boosts the supply of oxygen and glucose to the brain and muscles, while suppressing other non-emergency bodily processes (digestion in particular).(*1)

People can, as a result, not feel pain(*2) and thus still have full control of every bodily muscle, still be able to move freely, and continue to function at nearly 100% until the effect of adrenaline wears off. After which time, yeah, you're right. They would need medical attention, however before the effect of the Epinephrine wears off they could potentially get up and even possibly run to safety/cover

(1)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epinephrine#Actions_in_the_body
(2)http://www.lindaland.com/stressbook/page20.htm
Yeah, but usually it takes some time for adrenaline to kick in. If you get shot from 1km, you are not going to produce enough adrenaline to endure/ignore the pain.

If you, however, were under fire already, then adrenaline would supress the pain and exhaustion.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
My friend had been pestering me to download this game and play it with him... This has finally made me want to try it...

snuffler

Jun 4, 2008
Abedeus said:
Yeah, but usually it takes some time for adrenaline to kick in. If you get shot from 1km, you are not going to produce enough adrenaline to endure/ignore the pain.

If you, however, were under fire already, then adrenaline would supress the pain and exhaustion.
I was assuming you're already in a combat situation, in which case epinephrine is (or at least should be) already being formed in your adrenal gland, and being pumped into your blood stream.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
plastic_window said:
Didn't anyone play Saint's Row 2? You get an achievment in that for getting 100 nut-shots
That one's probably inspired by Penny-Arcade's experiences with Stranglehold and subsequent allegation that such a thing existed.
MaxTheReaper said:
Like "Getting shot really fucking hurts," for instance.
Yeah, as much fun as Groin Attack [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GroinAttack] is, I'd like to see a game play with something (marginally) more tasteful along similar lines. Like, ear shots (collecting trophies) or weapon hand shots. Just because it doesn't hit the most popular area for pain doesn't mean a hand shot should incapacitate just as much.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
snuffler said:
Abedeus said:

I was assuming you're already in a combat situation, in which case epinephrine is (or at least should be) already being formed in your adrenal gland, and being pumped into your blood stream.
Of course, of course.

But I think that in this case (getting shot in the nut with a sniper rifle) the target is unaware of the opponent, thus while he is in a state of alertness, it's not enough to produce adrenaline.

Sorry for not using medical terms, I've never learned Biology in English.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
GyroCaptain said:
plastic_window said:
Didn't anyone play Saint's Row 2? You get an achievment in that for getting 100 nut-shots
That one's probably inspired by Penny-Arcade's experiences with Stranglehold and subsequent allegation that such a thing existed.
MaxTheReaper said:
Yeah, as much fun as Groin Attack [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GroinAttack] is, I'd like to see a game play with something (marginally) more tasteful along similar lines. Like, ear shots (collecting trophies) or weapon hand shots. Just because it doesn't hit the most popular area for pain doesn't mean a hand shot should incapacitate just as much.
Or rewards for disarming.
With bullets.

Also, do not link me to that foul place. I don't have another month to spend reading everything again.
It'll take two months now; you know they can't keep the article numbers down. On the plus side, they have a "laconic" version of most pages now; it's 1-2 sentences per article.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
GyroCaptain said:
MaxTheReaper said:
GyroCaptain said:
plastic_window said:
MaxTheReaper said:
Or rewards for disarming.
With bullets.

Also, do not link me to that foul place. I don't have another month to spend reading everything again.
It'll take two months now; you know they can't keep the article numbers down. On the plus side, they have a "laconic" version of most pages now; it's 1-2 sentences per article.
I'll just end up reading the laconic version and the dark side version in addition to the vanilla flavour!
*Sigh* That site is like crack.
I can't believe I just clicked that. What is wrong with me?

I'll be gone for the next few hours, guys.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
Monkfish Acc. said:
MaxTheReaper said:
I'll just end up reading the laconic version and the dark side version in addition to the vanilla flavour!
*Sigh* That site is like crack.
I can't believe I just clicked that. What is wrong with me?

I'll be gone for the next few hours, guys.
*adds two marks to "lives destroyed" tally.

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Right. So, they censor nearly a hundred words pointlessly, yet they add this? Good GOD Nexon is messed up in the head. This itself is just...............just.....just NO man! You don't shoot a dude in the balls!

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Abedeus said:
snuffler said:
Abedeus said:

Of course, of course.

But I think that in this case (getting shot in the nut with a sniper rifle) the target is unaware of the opponent, thus while he is in a state of alertness, it's not enough to produce adrenaline.

Sorry for not using medical terms, I've never learned Biology in English.
Not that it would matter anyway, as the sudden drop in blood pressure (google hypovolemic shock) would be enough to make the victim lose consciousness in a matter of seconds - same as hitting the heart or any other major artery.
Yeah, this is hilarious but I don't think it makes for better gameplay. The groin is just too close to the center of mass (what most people aim at anyway) for this to be fair at all - it turns it into a luck thing - whose bullet will stray downward first?