Shooter of the day: Keio Flying Squadron

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Eyyy, Keio Flying Squadron! I had this game. Gameplay-wise it was never really favourite; it seemed very tame and simplictic compared to the high-octane shmups that were being released at the time (Thunder Force 4, Grindstormer, etc) but aesthetically there were so many neat little touches that this game was difficult to dislike.

The intro cinematic in particular became a thing of constant in-jokes between me and my brother ("You went to get a snack!?" - "Coming up next - Push to start!", etc) and the little cultural digs at the USA and USSR are funny - one of the bosses is a US warship where little Uncle Sam hand-puppets pop out of various portholes to shoot you and mock you. For this reason you can't really single out Rami's bunny girl costume as sexist - it's just kooky fun in keeping with the rest of the game (and, as is pointed out, it's the ancient and official costume of the Key Guardian... I'm glad we never got to see the old granny's days as Guardian, yuck).

Anyway Lilith, good to see some retro love. What other Mega CD games are you planning to cover? I think the only other MCD side-scroller I had was Sol Feace, but if you're going to talk about retro shooters in general you should definitely cover the 3D shooters like Soulstar and Thunderhawk; they were immense at the time.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
+1 Someone who cares about saturn and shooters.

Probably not to the same degree as OP and rest who posted (to this date I've still not tried a bullet hell game, didn't know about that genre at all until one of OPs previous thread), but on saturn alone I remember spending quite a lot of time on Raystorm, and then it got ported to ps1...

Anyways, will give this a try later on emulator, I see roms of super keio are easily found.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Jiggy said:
I'm sure plenty of people who like or liked the Saturn exist. That doesn't mean anything though, they aren't actually here.
So?

Jiggy said:
You mean the part where I asked LilithSlave why she thinks more people should be talking about a console that was discontinued in 1998? How does that somehow tell you that I am not interested in this Genre? You sure are making some logical leaps.
Why is it such a big deal that people talk about retro games? I didn't know that unless it was this gen it shouldn't be discussed

Jiggy said:
My interest or disinterest in the Sega Saturn says nothing about my interest in the Thread, especially considering that this Thread isn't about the Saturn, but about a Game in a Genre I happen to like.
Well then why don't you contribute instead of just complaining about the Saturn? And how could you even have a discussion about shmups without bringing up the Saturn? It's what it's known for

Jiggy said:
Not only are you trying to tell me what I am interested and what not, you are also pretending I hijacked the Thread. Feel free to explain how terramax and you replying to something I wrote to a entirely different person somehow constitutes me hijacking the Thread.
How about repeatedly complaining about the OP mentioning the Saturn? Doesn't seem relevant to the discussion.

Jiggy said:
You should be allowed to disclude people because you don't like what they have to say? Yeah, no, you have no such right.
I never said you weren't allowed, of course you're allowed but why would you? It doesn't benefit you in any way to just come in and say 'hurr durr I don't like this topic, no one cares about the Saturn LOLOLOLOL' so why even bother?
Jiggy said:
That's not really any of your concern, now is it? But, since you seem to be having trouble figuring it out on your own, I'll help you out and explain it a last time. I see people in this Thread talking a Game that's obscure. Which isn't a problem. What I do however consider a problem is that these same people then go on to complain about how other people don't care, which is why I asked the question, I wanted to hear from LilithSlave why she thinks anyone else should care.
And I want to know how that's relevant to a discussion about shmups but you can't win em all, can you?

Jiggy said:
Thus far I've yet to get a answer, just whining because I pointed that out. I was even nice enough to point out how more people could be drawn into a Thread like this in the long-run. Hint: Starting out with a Game for a Console that was discontinued in 1998 isn't the best way to go about getting people interested in a Genre.
How nice of you to grace us with your wisdom ¬_¬ And as I said before if you want to talk about shmups, the Saturn is bound to come up.

Jiggy said:
Have you ever heard of a rhetorical question? That's what I was doing with the circle jerk thing, I wasn't expecting a answer, I was hoping that if I point out that that is precisely what you are asking for (essentially a thread in which nobody will say anything negative about you or what you like) you'd realize that and change your attitude. Yet you continue to do it and actually decided to answer the rhetorical question, so I guess that didn't bear fruit.
Oh I see, so because you didn't like that I actually had an answer you've decided it's rhetorical. Awesome. And the words 'do tell' don't exactly imply it's rhetorical.

Jiggy said:
For the record, people complain about games I like all the time, in contrast to you I'm not so emotionally attached to the games I like that it drives me nuts, especially when I haven't actually said much of anything about the Game itself, I've been criticizing the Thread itself because it doesn't manage what Lilith set out to do. She is apparently doing this to get OTHERS interested in the Genre. Obviously that's going to be difficult to accomplish if you introduce a old game on a old console that failed in it's time.
I'm not emotionally attached to the games, I just don't like it when people like to stir up trouble for no reason.

Jiggy said:
I like how you are so needlessly aggressive yet are trying to give me warnings about how to behave.
Well put it this way; this is your first day and you're already being insulting, condescending and derailing threads.