Shooters! I Need Shooters!

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I'll second the recommendations for The Darkness 1 + 2. Great fun, and both games have significantly different feels to them.

Also, Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine. It's a TPS that also has hack-and-slash elements, but this genre mix works incredibly well, and every action you take has the unbelievably satisfying feeling of immense weight to it, right down to the firing of every single bolter shell. Oh, and you fight corrupted super-warriors, demons from hell and bloodthirsty space mushrooms. If you're into dystopian science-fantasy stuff that's also somewhat absurdly over-the-top, you should definitely pick this one up.

I'll also throw in a plug for Transformers: War for Cybertron and the sequel, Fall of Cybertron. These titles are some of the rare cases where licensed games aren't shovelware or otherwise shoddy cash grabs. The devs developed these games with the design principle of "let's make a good shooter first and then layer the robot stuff on top", and it shows; Kinda like the Gears series but with a bit more colour and more fast-paced combat (due to zipping around the battlefield as a vehicle). Also the devs really did their homework, so there's a ton of geek love in there as well.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Starbird said:
Generally I don't play console shooters - the controls just don't click for me at all.
Well as I said analogue shooters should click if you give them time working your way in from genres/sub genres you do like, buying a 360 for it's awesome 2D/Rail/TPS exclusives is how I learnt to enjoy them, shooters that once felt mediocre/boring using a M&K are a lot more fun with pad.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hard Reset was alright, you can probably find it cheap on Steam too. It's cyber punk-ish kind of shooter where you blast robots with cool weapons.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
Sonicron said:
I'll second the recommendations for The Darkness 1 + 2. Great fun, and both games have significantly different feels to them.

Also, Warhammer 40.000: Space Marine. It's a TPS that also has hack-and-slash elements, but this genre mix works incredibly well, and every action you take has the unbelievably satisfying feeling of immense weight to it, right down to the firing of every single bolter shell. Oh, and you fight corrupted super-warriors, demons from hell and bloodthirsty space mushrooms. If you're into dystopian science-fantasy stuff that's also somewhat absurdly over-the-top, you should definitely pick this one up.

I'll also throw in a plug for Transformers: War for Cybertron and the sequel, Fall of Cybertron. These titles are some of the rare cases where licensed games aren't shovelware or otherwise shoddy cash grabs. The devs developed these games with the design principle of "let's make a good shooter first and then layer the robot stuff on top", and it shows; Kinda like the Gears series but with a bit more colour and more fast-paced combat (due to zipping around the battlefield as a vehicle). Also the devs really did their homework, so there's a ton of geek love in there as well.
Definitely Space Marine. No idea why I haven't played it yet.

Darkness 1 was...okay. As I said, never liked 3d shooters on consoles.

chozo_hybrid said:
Hard Reset was alright, you can probably find it cheap on Steam too. It's cyber punk-ish kind of shooter where you blast robots with cool weapons.
I played it briefly up to the first boss. It was very repetitive and I just didn't get into it.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Starbird said:
chozo_hybrid said:
I played it briefly up to the first boss. It was very repetitive and I just didn't get into it.
Fair enough, you gave it a go at least :D Also, if you are ever in the mood for a 3rd person shooter, I back Sonicron up by saying the two Transformers games by High Moon, War/Fall of Cybertrons campaigns are really good!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
If you liked Deus Ex then maybe Splinter Cell: Blacklist? I liked it! :D
If you have a Nintedo console then I at least find the MetroidPrime series a ton of fun!

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
chozo_hybrid said:
Starbird said:
chozo_hybrid said:
Fair enough, you gave it a go at least :D Also, if you are ever in the mood for a 3rd person shooter, I back Sonicron up by saying the two Transformers games by High Moon, War/Fall of Cybertrons campaigns are really good!
I may give it a look. Never been a Transformers fan but hey, shooter is shooter :D.

So far this thread has been solid gold.

Thus far, playlist looks like (after I finish DOW2 and expansions):
- Space Marine.
- Shadow Warrior.
- Tribes: Vengeance.
- Singularity.
- Metro: Last Light.
- Vanquish.
- Far Cry 3.
- Brutal Doom.
-> Possibly the other suggestions.

Should keep me busy for a while :)