Shooters with Removable Turret Guns

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
This is just something on my mind after I posted in a thread about Wolfenstein: The New Order, shooting games where you can yank turret guns off their emplacements and haul them around on foot. May not always be entirely practical, but damn it feels awesome. Especially when the gun itself is a fucking beast.

The biggest one for me in this is therefore Crysis 2. They don't actually call it a Browning M2, and it's got some futuristic embellishments; but that .50cal monster CELL often set up at roadblocks is just nasty. Massive damage at 400 RPM, and when you hold down the ADS button it becomes crazy accurate to boot. Slows you down, sure; but you're mowing through CELL troops and the alien Ceph with such ease, it hardly matters.

The Ion Displacer heavy machine gun in Transformers: War for Cybertron is much the same, albeit trading some relative shot power for a massive fire rate. However, it gets twice the ammo of the Crysis 2 HMG, so it balances out. Megatron stomping forth with one of these things is the true definition of terror for the Autobots; and Optimus Prime hauling one around tends to be the same for the Decepticons. Turn everything in sight into so much scrap.

Lost Planet was actually kinda interesting. Yes, you could remove the guns from your Vital Suit and wield them on foot, but you usually did the opposite: sticking heavy weapons you encountered in the field onto a VS. However, there were often times, like the second level of the first game, for instance, where you would start with a VS but then be forced to abandon it due to the terrain. In these cases, yanking off a gun from the VS would be a wise decision, if only for the increased firepower. Then you just use it until you either find a new mech or run the big gun out of ammo. There were also times, like early in the third level, where you would encountered old wrecks of previously destroyed VSes that you could salvage a still functional weapon off of. Again, not always the best idea, because it slows you down so much, but useful if you run into numerous or powerful enemies.

And as mentioned up there at the top, Wolfenstein: The New Order. BJ has enough strength to take the Nazis' emplaced guns for himself and mow down their troops en masse. A quad-barrel rotary version of the infamous MG42 can cut a swath through them, but if you really want to mow down a horde, find the "MG-60". It's a rapid-fire laser cannon that's usually a turret gun. It blasts through armored enemies with the greatest of ease, packs a massive wallop, and can be recharged either by putting it back on a turret stand or at a recharging station that the Germans are all too eager to put everywhere.

And these are just the ones I've played. I'm sure there are more out there that have even more powerful options, if you REALLY need to lay down the hurt.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I seem to remember a lot of miniguns in Just Cause 2 that you could pick up, had infinite ammo and annihilated anything you pointed them at. Was balanced by the fact that you moved at about 2mph when carrying it, in a game with a huge map where you usually get around by driving, flying, or hookshotting/parachuting.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
In Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway you could take the MG42 and fire it from the hip or set it up again on some cover (like sandbags) but you lose the infinite ammo it had in the original emplacement (you take 2 extra magazines with you).

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I think the first game I remember doing it was Halo 2(or 3, don't remember). I did enjoy ripping mounted guns from their stands and mowing shit down. Too bad it wasn't a reversible process, so that gun was on a limited lifespan. I think I would have liked the option to remount guns and to rip/remount them off Warthogs.

I quite enjoyed how you could remount and recharge the heavy guns in Wolfenstein TNO. Though while awesome, being able to dual wield all your other pretty awesome guns kinda made it not as necessary. Sliding through a crowd while hosing them with dual assault rifles/auto shotguns/laser machineguns is something you can't do with a massive gun slowing you down.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Wings012 said:
I think the first game I remember doing it was Halo 2(or 3, don't remember).
It was Halo 3. That 3-barreled machine gun turret looks so iconic of Halo 3 to me. Im not overly sure that it was overly useful or competitive, but I always felt like a badass lugging a huge machinegun around.

Wings012 said:
Too bad it wasn't a reversible process, so that gun was on a limited lifespan. I think I would have liked the option to remount guns and to rip/remount them off Warthogs.
I have to agree. It would have been cool to rip the turrets off of the back of destroyed vehicles like Warthogs, or maybe replace the standard chaingun with another mounted weapon that you found.

Also, in the campaign for Halo Reach, one of the characters (Jorge) carries around a machine gun turret as his primary weapon. In the first level of the game, you jump into a civilian truck vehicle, and he mounts the weapon on the roof of the car, and uses it as a makeshift Warthog. Even though this only happened once, and for such a short portion of the level, it was always really cool, and I wished that it would carry over to other parts of the game, but alas, you couldn't do it yourself, and weaponless vehicles weren't availible in other modes. Hopefully, though, with weaponless Warthogs appearing in Halo 5, maybe this will be a feature in future installments.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I'm playing Horizon Zero Dawn. In it you can shoot the turrets mounted on the back of giant robot SabreToothed Tigers, heft it off the ground, and massacre anything in range with lazer death. For a game that forces you to meticulously kill with slow firing bows and arrows, it makes a wonderful change.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Laggyteabag said:
Wings012 said:
I think the first game I remember doing it was Halo 2(or 3, don't remember).
It was Halo 3. That 3-barreled machine gun turret looks so iconic of Halo 3 to me. Im not overly sure that it was overly useful or competitive, but I always felt like a badass lugging a huge machinegun around.
If I'm not mistaken, the turret ripping mechanic was originally planned to be in the first Halo, but got cut, presumably for time. Don't have a source, but one of the first Halo screenshots does show a Spartan lugging a similar machine gun around.

Delicious Anathema

Aug 25, 2009
Aliens Colonial Marines has segments in which you carry sentry guns and place them, but can't pick them up again usually.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine had a few removable turrets, often heavy Bolters or Plasma Cannons - fun, but rarely useful since the sections where the turrets were removable either had too few enemies to justify using it, or transitioned straight into a cutscene where you couldn't carry the turret through anyway. Made the achievement to kill a bunch of enemies with a detached turret a fucking arse to get, that did...

Actually, I realize that's a problem with a lot of removable turrets - as fun as they often can be, a lot of games don't really put them in positions where ripping a minigun off it's stand is a viable thing to do. Turret sections are either against large swarms of enemies or a single, powerful foe, where taking the time to tear a turret off will just get you killed; or, the sections following the turret are devoid of enemies, a cutscene or the end of the friggin' level. Half the time in games I avoid detaching turrets simply because I've been burned too many times before by the level immediately ending just as I rip it off it's tripod.

The only game I can really think of that used detachable turrets well was Wolfenstein: The New Order, simply because there was about 80,000 of the damn things in every level, could be recharged practically anywhere and a couple skills removed the speed penalties for lugging one around. They were an actual, viable weapon and tactical choice, as opposed to something that feels cool but never gets used by the game effectively.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Adding to the list is Perfect Dark...sort of. There's a firearm called the laptop gun that you could treat as a normal autoamtic weapon in its primary mode, but set it up as a turret in its secondary mode. You could later retrieve the gun if you wanted to.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The first time I saw that was while playing Commandos 2 (or 3. I can't remember which one actually started that). Almost anyone could use mounted machine guns, but only the Green Beret was strong enough to actually carry one with him. Sadly, it was not very practical in a game that was 85% stealth, unless you found a really good choke point with a corner to hide behind, and wanted to eradicate every single Nazi within hearing range.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Battlezone 1 and 2 had deployable vehicles you could actually drive that turned into turrets. Their guns becoming more powerful in the process but they could still be fired when on the move in the second game. Not so sure about the first, I will have to recheck.

sageoftruth said:
The first time I saw that was while playing Commandos 2 (or 3. I can't remember which one actually started that). Almost anyone could use mounted machine guns, but only the Green Beret was strong enough to actually carry one with him. Sadly, it was not very practical in a game that was 85% stealth, unless you found a really good choke point with a corner to hide behind, and wanted to eradicate every single Nazi within hearing range.
Most likely the third one as I have very, very fond memories of the second one and have no recollection of this mechanic. Good lord man, you gave me a serious nostalgier. I must play those games again, right now!

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Saulkar said:
Battlezone 1 and 2 had deployable vehicles you could actually drive that turned into turrets. Their guns becoming more powerful in the process but they could still be fired when on the move in the second game. Not so sure about the first, I will have to recheck.

sageoftruth said:
Most likely the third one as I have very, very fond memories of the second one and have no recollection of this mechanic. Good lord man, you gave me a serious nostalgier. I must play those games again, right now!
Yeah, I think you're right. Thinking back, the 3rd one even had a stage that opened with a cutscene where the Green Beret used a carried machine gun to shoot down an airplane, probably as a way of saying "Look, player! He can do this now!" It's also fitting, since the franchise seemed to become more action-heavy with each sequel. I think Commandos 2 was the last one that worked for me before it started to lose its appeal.