Short RPGs?

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Who has some short RPG recommendations? I'm talking around 10 hours or so with some exploration.

I love RPGs, but I tend to get really bored whilst fighting A.I in any type of game after a while and just go back to my multiplayer games. I'm sick of having half finished games and really would like to complete one, but if it's too long I'll get bored of the A.I combat.

I'd love to finish Dragon Age or something but after I leave an RPG for a while I tend to forget the story or what all my abilities do and just start a new character instead. Unlike Crysis where I don't care about story and can potter in and out for 20 minutes at a time when I'm bored.

I'd prefer it if the game you suggest is actually good as well.

Also does the length of an RPG make them what they are? Does it detract from the experience if they're fairly short? To be decent does it have to have a million side quests most people won't even find?

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
Go buy Penny Arcade: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness. It's a short westernized take on JRPGs. Then again if you're just looking for Western RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Oblivion but about an eighth of the length you probably won't find anything worthwhile.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
for what system?
do you want western or jrpgs?

either way I'd suggest DS RPG's like Radiant Historia or Golden Sun Dark Dawn. Their not 10 hours long, maybe 16 to 20 but since they're portable they're easier to play, the story is good, and more importantly they're easy to follow and play through

edit: try Vandal Hearts Flames of Judgement, its relatively short and good

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Summon Knight Swordcraft story isn't bad,the story moves at a brisk pace,and it's combat is fun and and while the crafting system can be time consuming,you really only have to mess around with it as long as you want.

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
As far as I know, RPGs tend to be pretty long. Usually when they start dropping into the 10-hour mark, they're more of action RPGs or action/action-adventure games with RPG elements.

I guess I could recommend Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, since completing 1 of the 3 character's stories can take only 10-15 hours and it's okay, in my opinion even recommended to not to go straight into the next story after beating one. But the thing is that even though I love the game, it really isn't for everyone (and not even only because it's on PSP), and it's definitely an action RPG with a lot of emphasis on the action.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
FallOut 3 without expansions and missing out on most the side-content only takes about 6 hours. Could probably even rush through it in 3 hours if you knew what you were doing.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
MightyRabbit said:
Go buy Penny Arcade: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness. It's a short westernized take on JRPGs. Then again if you're just looking for Western RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Oblivion but about an eighth of the length you probably won't find anything worthwhile.
I've looked at these before, good recommendation! I forgot about them, how long would you say they take each?
GZGoten said:
for what system?
do you want western or jrpgs?
Preferably PC and western but I did complete Chrono Trigger, FF III/IV and The World Ends With You (if that counts) on my DS so I'm open to Jrpgs on other things as well.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Cthulhu saves the world/Breath of Death VII. Think I milked CSTW for 17 hours.

THese are definitely shorter RPGs. The combat systems involved bring a lot to the old school RPG table , though the storys are fairly goofy.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
If you want Western RPGs...

I'd say Mass Effect. I always try to have the complete experience - talk to everyone, do all the side-quests, etc. I did all that and this game still clocked only a little over 20 hours!

If you want Japanese RPGs...

I'd say the original Shadow Hearts. The gameplay has an original twist but is dated - and the graphics are just horrible. It does have some amazing characters, a good story and music with a true cult status. You can reach the end in little over 15 hours. Side-quests might add an extra 5 hours to that.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
In consoles you can play Costume Quest. Fun little turn-based RPG from Double Fine. I think you can 100% it in about 5 or 6 hours (a couple more with the DLC)

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Dungeon Seige 3 can literally be done in around 8 hours including all side quests.

Thats how long it took me anyway.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
viranimus said:
Cthulhu saves the world/Breath of Death VII. Think I milked CSTW for 17 hours.

THese are definitely shorter RPGs. The combat systems involved bring a lot to the old school RPG table , though the storys are fairly goofy.
I'm actually 4 hours into Breath of Death VII if my steam time is anything to go by, I think I'll finish that one off soon as the story wasn't exactly the most complex. Haven't started Cthulhu yet, was going to do them in order of release.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
If you would call it an rpg, then I would say to get Bastion. Its about 6-8 hours long and is a really really good experience. It is moe of an hack and slash with RPG elements, but I wanted to talk about Bastion having just completed it.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The original Fallout game is short (I beat it in my first playthrough in about 10 hours) and it's a really good RPG. It doesn't have quite as much depth when it comes to choice as Fallout 2, but there's still a ton of choice.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
DazZ. said:
Who has some short RPG recommendations? I'm talking around 10 hours or so with some exploration.

I love RPGs, but I tend to get really bored whilst fighting A.I in any type of game after a while and just go back to my multiplayer games. I'm sick of having half finished games and really would like to complete one, but if it's too long I'll get bored of the A.I combat.

I'd love to finish Dragon Age or something but after I leave an RPG for a while I tend to forget the story or what all my abilities do and just start a new character instead. Unlike Crysis where I don't care about story and can potter in and out for 20 minutes at a time when I'm bored.

I'd prefer it if the game you suggest is actually good as well.

Also does the length of an RPG make them what they are? Does it detract from the experience if they're fairly short? To be decent does it have to have a million side quests most people won't even find?
Get Neverwinter Nights (you can usually get it second-hand with both expansions for under five pounds nowadays) and go here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=LatestAdditions&clusters=modules&days=30&show_days_back=1

Many, many short fan-made RPGs available for free, as long as you don't mind sorting through them. The rating system is fairly reliable; anything that gets more than 7 or 8 out of 10 is probably worth playing.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Fallout 3 is pretty short, you can run through the main story with about 8 or 9 hours, or even less if you know where to go. But then you'll miss a lot of things. BTW my last do it all, see it all playthrough was 192 hours.