Short survey on Backpacks (Chance to win: Terraria!)

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
If you travel to Work or School and carry electronics, would you say their physical safety (Due to water damage, damage from general force on your bag or damage to your phone as you take it out) is a real issue to you? (1-10, 1 being "Of little concern" and 10 being "Of great concern")
*7, as it rains a lot where I live, and I want my stuff to stay dry
Are you at all worried about the potential to be stolen from your bag (In ways such as someone unzipping and removing your valuables when you are not looking)? (1-10, 1 being "Of little concern" and 10 being "Of great concern")
*5, not really worried about strangers stealing my stuff, but my friends might "steal" something "for the lulz"
If you were to have locks on your zips, would you prefer locks which require a key (To be carried separately) or simply locks which are physically not simple to open (In a way that a thief would probably not bother trying) (You may answer Key or No Key)
*No key, as I would probably lose it
Do you use head/earphones when travelling with your bag? If yes, then what size are they? (For example, just earphones or full-sized around-the-ear types)
*earbuds
Do you often find them [Headphone cables] to be tangled when you take them from your pocket/back to use?
*yes
Have you run into times where your phone has ran out of battery whilst out? Would a small emergency charger be of interest to you in this case? (1-10 on how useful this sounds) - It would work for phones, PSP's, DS's and other similar devices.
*4, weight might be an issue, and it doesn't happen to me often enough to justify carrying an additional power supply
How about a laptop/netbook/tablet charger, which could provide roughly an hour of additional use (1-10)(Ignore if you do not carry any of these devices)
2, I rarely carry my laptop with me, and when I do, i usually find a wall socket
[/quote]

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
If you travel to Work or School and carry electronics, would you say their physical safety (Due to water damage, damage from general force on your bag or damage to your phone as you take it out) is a real issue to you? (1-10, 1 being "Of little concern" and 10 being "Of great concern")
Are you at all worried about the potential to be stolen from your bag (In ways such as someone unzipping and removing your valuables when you are not looking)? (1-10, 1 being "Of little concern" and 10 being "Of great concern")
If you were to have locks on your zips, would you prefer locks which require a key (To be carried separately) or simply locks which are physically not simple to open (In a way that a thief would probably not bother trying) (You may answer Key or No Key)
No Key
Do you use head/earphones when travelling with your bag? If yes, then what size are they? (For example, just earphones or full-sized around-the-ear types)
Earphones/buds
Do you often find them [Headphone cables] to be tangled when you take them from your pocket/back to use?
Yes
Have you run into times where your phone has ran out of battery whilst out? Would a small emergency charger be of interest to you in this case? (1-10 on how useful this sounds) - It would work for phones, PSP's, DS's and other similar devices.
How about a laptop/netbook/tablet charger, which could provide roughly an hour of additional use (1-10)(Ignore if you do not carry any of these devices)

RavenCrush

Aug 29, 2010

No Key.

Almost always. 90% of the time I will use just earphones, but if I have broken my earphones recently or feel like a change, I will use full-sized around-the-ear types.

Yes, I find this to be one of the biggest annoyances of carrying headphones with you.

I will occasionally forget to charge an electronic that I bring with me which causes it to die throughout the day. Small Emergency Charger: 2. I do not think I would need such a device.

9, I almost always carry my laptop charger with me.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009

No Key

Earbuds

Yes, to the point where I leave most of the cord hanging out and only shove the earbuds themselves into my pocket.

Yes, 8

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009

*No Key

*Earbuds

*Always. It's like I have an imp in there who's sole purpose is to knot my earbuds.

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Can't hurt to try.

------------------

Key

No

Yes

------------------

I hope that helps

killcheese

May 18, 2009

I carry a tablet with me to when on campus at my college and most of the time i rarely think of its safety, however this is due to being careful at all times. For years i would carry a laptop, ps1+screen and rather expensive headphones. I then got used to always being gentle with my backpack, such as never throwing it or leaning against. While the safety is no longer always on my mind, it is instead ingrained to be safe with them.

Are you at all worried about the potential to be stolen from your bag (In ways such as somepony unzipping and removing your valuables when you are not looking)? (1-10, 1 being "Of little concern" and 10 being "Of great concern")

This is a great concern of mine. it is for this reason i will twist the zippers together. Its not a lock, but it prevents walker-bys from helping themselves.

*no key

This is similar to the way i am jerry rigging my backpack at the moment, and it gives me enough piece of mind to go through the day without worrying.

*full-sized

I am an audiophile and will have various types of headphones with me at any given time. Most of the time when im walking with my backpack round the campus or to a friends house i will use open-full cans so i am not totally isolated, and in-ear monitors for isolation when im studying.

*no

As stated before, i am an audiophile. For my main pair(grado sr-80) i have a case, so cable management is not an issue. For my in-ear monitors i have a little clip i found for keeping chips fresh that i wrap them around. Its quick and dirty, but it works.

While it is not everyday my phone or ipod die on me on the road, it does happen more then i would like. This would be pretty cool in a backpack i think i would make use of this weekly if not more.

Over the 3 months i have owned a tablet, only twice have i run out of power on the road. This is due to the 16 hours of total battery life however, and if it was less this would be a major selling point.

Hope this helps!

darron13

Jul 30, 2008

No Key

Yes, Full Sized Around the Ear

Yes

Rippzen

Feb 6, 2008

8 (more from dropping/impact than water)

No Key

Ear-buds

Every time I take them out (kind of a pain)

Yes I've run out of battery. 3 as most places I would be I could just plug them in or charge in a vehicle.

3 Same as above.

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009

*2, I rarely put my expensive electronics in my backpack, I prefer to keep them in my pockets. If I do put them in my bag, I put them in a "safe" part of the bag and then don't worry about them being damaged.

*2, Once in a blue moon I'll be paranoid about someone stealing something out of my bag. But I rarely keep anything small and expensive in there that would be easier to steal undetected.

*No Key, the non-simple-to-open zip is definitely my choice. I really do not want to unlock something with a key everytime I open my backpack.

*Yes, I often listen to my iPod with in-ear earbuds. Then put them in my backpack when I get to where I'm going.

*No, my earbuds have a small rubber attachment that allows me to bind them in a coil, which effectively prevents them from tangling. But if they were left in there a long time (weeks), they'd probably eventually tangle to some extent anyway. With previous earbuds, yes, they tangle every time.

*10, except for the part where I forget to charge the emergency charger :) I don't carry around my cell phone charge cable, so this would be nice. So... it'd have to have a universal charging coupling to be useful for me.

*5, it'd be nice because there have been times when I've forgotten to charge my netbook, and that's what I take notes on. 1 hour isn't even enough for one college class though. However, there are times when my netbook is partially charged so then it could be useful to just scrap through the day with.

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
* 6 (most stuff goes in my pockets)
* NO KEY (combo?)
* yes--earbuds
* ALL THE FUCKING TIME
* yes
* depends on weight

Terminal Dogma

Apr 2, 2010

10 - I was afraid my computer croaked the other day when a friend of mine who didn't know there was a laptop in my bag knocked it off of my desk by mistake.

3 - Usually, the only time something could be easily stolen from my bag is when I am not present. In that case, the thief would most likely take the entire bag and get a couple expensive textbooks, headphones, and a $120 backpack as well. The added security of having locks on zippers seems outweighed by the utility of quickly opening and closing pockets.

No Key - See above

Yes, full size - I carry a pair of skullcandy headphones to use with my laptop and my iPhone.

No - I wind the cord around the outside of the headphones, which also stops them from flexing too much in transit.

Yes, 10 - This would be a life saver, especially if the emergency charger could be plugged into an outlet. I often have access to an outlet in the same room, but not within arms reach.

3 - As I said above, I often have access to an outlet nearby at least once a day, so I tend to charge my laptop when I'm not using it.

Edit-Since it looks like other people are posting additional info, I will too.

NinjaOnXTC

Apr 25, 2011
High school student

9, if I loose files I'm screwed, but I can't waste time walking slowly to avoid banging it.
7, I prefer it untouched, but it's all encrypted anyway :D
Key, simpler and less likely to be broken
No, but if I was going to it would be earmuff version.
I find my mouse and charger tangled, so I'll answer yes in spirit
Once, when I unplugged and didn't notice.
10, no laptop at school = screwed
10, just in case. It's amazing security.

I own a 15" Macbook and have an over-the-shoulder bag currently.

Blast9

Mar 1, 2011

No key

Yes, ear buds. Larger headphones would be better, but are clunky to carry either on my person or in a bag with other items (textbooks, planner, folders, etc.). I also worry about them breaking. Perhaps there could be a way to remedy this situation with your product?

Yes! I wrap the cable around my ipod, but they still seem to get tangled up sometimes.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009

No key.

Yes, ear buds.

Yes.

I have. 10.

Bob_Dobb

Aug 22, 2011
Travel Safety: 7 I'm not going to ensure that I walk slowly or treat my bag with the up most care but I do pack things away carefully and place the bag down gently but I do look after my things.

Theft: 10 Can't trust anyone around my town so I keep my eyes on my bag at all times.

Keys: No key, preferably a combo lock.

Headphones: Yes, normal headphones, not earbuds or the full size DJ ones.

Cord tangling: No because I take time to wrap them up but if you have a proposed feature where I don't have to do so would be helpful

Emergency Charger 10, this sounds incredibly useful for when you need to make a phone call to get picked up or something of that nature because my friends' phones always flat when we need to make a call.

1 hour Laptop Charge 10 again this sounds useful for when you thought you wouldn't need to use it later but find out you have something else to do (Happens often at school)

Hope I have helped

tseroff

Jun 8, 2009
No Key
Yes, around-the-ear head phones
Yes

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
1, Everything has it's own cover. My laptop has it's own case to keep it from being scratched, and I keep anything that may be wet in a plastic bag or wrapped in paper towels (such as fresh fruit for lunch). I'm not sure if that means I am concerned since I take precautions...

10, I go to school in a terrible area so I just never let my bag out of my sight. There still have been quite a few times someone pulled a knife and stole someone's stuff though.

No key, simply because I would either lose to key or hate to carry around the extra weight. I already carry around enough crap to last me a week in the woods. Besides it's not like it's going to stop a criminal, they would just rip the bag.

All the time to drown out the city noise. I like the earbuds that go in your ear since they cancel out more noise and are smaller.

Sometimes, I try to remember to wrap them nicely around my MP3 player just to keep it out of the way but sometimes I'm lazy/forgetful.

10, I have a droid and it's battery is shit. It only lasts around 3 hours if I'm fiddling with it and I don't have a spare charger and the cable is too short to plug into the wall by my seat (I always sit by an outlet).

5, I keep my netbook charger on me in case I run out, but it has a decent battery life. Not to mention as I said above I normally sit by a plug if I do run out of juice.

snark

Aug 31, 2008

If you were to have locks on your zips, would you prefer locks which require a key (To be carried separately) or simply locks which are physically not simple to open (In a way that a
thief would probably not bother trying) (You may answer Key or No Key)

Key

Foldable, around the ears that go around the back your head.

Yes, all the time.

6, my phone has run out of battery on a few occasions, but having something to give it a small boost would be nice. It does depend on the size of the charger though.

9, not everywhere is laptop friendly and wall sockets can be hard to find so an extra hour of charge would be wonderful.