Should children playing online games not use mics, even if they provide helpful teamwork?

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
Why not? Some of them can be far more experienced at the game than a lot of the older players and contribute some good ideas and are genuinely good at the game.

Sure, some of them can be annoying arses, but newsfash, so can adults. Anyone of any age can be a bit of a tit online. I've met some online that don't seem to be able to keep quiet for more than 3 nano-seconds but others that have been pretty damn good at the game. Judge the person by how they play and what they do, not by whether there testicles have descended or not.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
I have met thirty year-olds that are less mature than children, which is why I do little online gaming in the first place.

Online is for wankers anyway, Lan is where the REAL men (and women) are at.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
KEM10 said:
I have a much larger problem with shouters than I do kids. If you think someone should be muted because of their age alone, maybe it's you that should grow up.
Ooh, bet that one stings. But really, you have a good point. If you don't like their voice, that's your problem, not theirs. Plus, you can always just mute them, so really there's no problem at all.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Depends, most kid voices are okey, then you get these high pitched ones. Those I wouldn't give a mic to, don't care how good you are, my ears are more important then a puny victory.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Like some other people have said, just use the mute button. It's there for a reason and so many people forget about it or else they just enjoy arguing with people about pointless things when they're annoyed.

Your Nightmare

May 28, 2010
If they are LEGALLY allowed to play the game - then they may speak.

If the game is rated 18 (Which it is for a reason) then no, I don't want to hear 12 year olds.

It's like when people complain that games like GTA make children violent. It shouldn't, because a 'Kid' isn't old enough to be playing that game in the first place. Only 18 year old are by law, for which the most part are mature enough not to suddenly decide to go on a murder spree.

Griphphin

Jul 4, 2009
I have better experiences with the 15-and-under crowd than I do with the older ones (sounds a little dirty now that I read it back, in the worst way possible >_>... But I press on!), they're generally more amiable than the pretentious douches in their later teens, if not all too bright for the most part.
And honestly, if they're not yelling, the younger voices generally aren't too annoying anyway. If they're yelling, they get muted regardless of age.

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
SomeBoredGuy said:
I'm just curious as to what the Escapist thinks on this. Not may of us like hearing high-pitched kiddie voices in our online games, but what if the owner of the voice leads their team to victory through their effective communication? Should they still remain silent, to allow their teammates to not have to put up with the voices so high-pitched, only their pet dogs can hear them?
There's a mute option, they have all the right that you do to speak.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_286/8463-The-12-Year-Old-English-Kid-Who-Carried-Us-to-Victory

If they are contributing to the game in a positive way or are just nice to talk to I have no problem. The smack-talk and incessant chatter just result in a mute, I don't care who I play with to be honest.

as for the whole 'kids shouldn't be exposed to it' argument, I disagree simply because I (as a 12 year old kid) WAS playing halo 2 on-line, and by that age I (personally) was mature enough to know that the idiots who swear their heads off are just that.

I'm not saying all 12 year olds should be given a mike, but you can't truthfully say that none should, either.

dakorok

Dec 8, 2010
See, the problem is most of them are complete idiots. Also annoying as hell.
I've come across a few who are actually decent, and care about teamwork, though. I respect those few, because they're actually mature enough to be playing the game.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
Your Nightmare said:
If they are LEGALLY allowed to play the game - then they may speak.

If the game is rated 18 (Which it is for a reason) then no, I don't want to hear 12 year olds.

It's like when people complain that games like GTA make children violent. It shouldn't, because a 'Kid' isn't old enough to be playing that game in the first place. Only 18 year old are by law, for which the most part are mature enough not to suddenly decide to go on a murder spree.
It isn't illegal for a kid to play a mature game, it's illegal for the store to sell it to him. BIG DIFFERENCE. Just like, it's not accually Illegal for people under the age of 21 to drink in some states, it just illegal for them to buy alchole, or drink it in public. The same with smoking. It's legal to do it, at any age, you just can't sell the stuff to people under 18.

So, the kid playing GTA4 isn't braking any laws. Either his parents got him the game, which is perfectly legal and i see happne ALL the time, or a store clerk broke the law and sold him the game. Either way, not the kids fault.

As for the OT. I like kids. There voices don't bother me. The fact that some that of them online seem, really young, worries me a bit. XBL is not a place, i'd personally feel comfertable with MY kids hanging around in. The atmesopher, the language.. no.. No online play for my kids until they are plenty old enough. (late teens at the eairlest, and of course supervised.) But, that's really not the point of the OT, so, i guess my answer is no, let the kids speak.

(And I LOVE all the kids are so inmature comments... well DUH... There kids. I expect inmatureity from kids, what's the adults excuse??)

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
There's a lot of different people who abuse their microphones. While they have every right to have a microphone - I'd prefer a "mute by default" system in lobbies.

But when it comes to children and microphones, I would prefer it if they didn't have one. Not only to their voices go right though me - but 90% of the ones I see online are either racists, foulmouths, obnoxious or just plain unpleasant.

But like I said before, I would prefer lobbies to be muted from the get-go.

Having said this, a default muting system would also stop screamers, whiners, racists, homophobes and Darth Breathers in one fell swoop.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
SomeBoredGuy said:
I'm just curious as to what the Escapist thinks on this. Not may of us like hearing high-pitched kiddie voices in our online games, but what if the owner of the voice leads their team to victory through their effective communication? Should they still remain silent, to allow their teammates to not have to put up with the voices so high-pitched, only their pet dogs can hear them?
I have yet to actually hear any high pitched, squeaky voiced kid give ANY good advice in any game that I have ever played. Also, they are TROLLS!!! Seriously, they invariably have the worst kdr on the server, and yet, if they do somehow manage to kill you (usually because you have 2 more enemies in front of you) they think that they are better than you are. When you hunt them down repeatedly to show them just how wrong they are about that, they start calling you a hacker, which ordinarily amuses the hell out of me, because i have never hacked a game, but only pisses me off in this situation.

/rant

EDIT: sorry, forgot to answer the question. If they want to be able to speak, they should be required to take a test that shows that they can be a benefit to the team by being allowed to speak. Then, the first time they troll/***** and complain, it is taken away, never to be returned until their voices change. =P

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
RT-shotgun-support said:
I hate children online period. Each child(person below 13 i have met save one) has been an asshole of equal or greater caliber of myself except they had an annoying voice to spout obscenities with. The only one child i met online that was not annoying never used his mic but we knew he was paying attention, he would not let us down, but he knew his voice annoyed the hell out of adults so he kept quiet most of the time.

But i hate children with a primal fire that makes me want to destroy any child that is not my own simply because they annoy me. Younger family members, children online, i am just far too jaded to deal with them without shouting demands of "Go away" or 'Take this machete and run around the yard"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weIjWDD_MSA&feature=BF&list=QL&index=3

My feelings on kids

Mainly the evil pack hunters of 10 on 1 or on a good day 10 VS 3 with a teacher in earshot.
Man is the guy in that video an idiot and an asshole. He's a jaded, bitter man who lost his childhood and grew old before he even hit 30. Don't be like him.

Wondermint13

Oct 2, 2010
I think that concern is overuled by being able to block/mute those who annoy you.
Or altertatively, if theres anybody playing online that the parent in the house is feeling offended or whatever by, they can simply mute that person.

Online and all its goodies is forever whatever lucky bastard who can afford it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't care if I'm playing with a kid so long as he's not a little whiney brat. I think the best solution would be for parents to raise their children, not an online community/TV.