Should I bother with Final Fantasy X?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
1,282
25
53
Country
United Kingdom
i recently rediscovered the series and played some of the old ones. I've played 4-9 and loved them all. However, I know the series changed a lot after that.

Question is, with me liking the styles of the older games, should I dive into the newer ones? Some insight into the way it plays for anyone who has stuck with the series from old to present day would be appreciated. :)
 

Aerevolt

New member
Jan 11, 2011
54
0
0
The newer games are worth playing through. There are a few problems I had with X
First of all, it was the introduction of voice acting in cut scenes, and they use it way too much. The blurnsball in game is also really annoying. A lot of the characters are annoying too.

The combat system was fun, once I got used to it, and I liked the skill system.
If nothing else it's fun to be in on the joke when someone says that game sucked.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
18,159
2,556
118
Final Fantasy 10 is pretty great, if you can aquire a taste for that thick, heavy Square cheese. It did set the template for the overly convoluted techno-magic plotline that has been applied to nearly every Final Fantasy since, but 10 generally makes it work because it keeps everything nice and simple. It pretty much has the same JRPG gameplay you're used to from the previous titles.

Also, Tidus is voiced by Ratchet.
 

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
3,031
355
88
FF10 is one of the few main entry Final Fantasies I never completed, simply b/c I couldn't get into it at all. Awful dialogue and voice acting, god awful character designs(is everyone semi-nude in this game?), dumb and annoying characters(espescially Tidus and Waku or whatever he's called), story makes no sense(I know this is a Final Fantasy but still). To be honest there is not a single thing about FF10 I enjoyed, which is a miracle b/c I tend to be quite forgiving when it comes to games. But FF10 just..ugh..what a piece of crap.

I enjoyed every Final Fantasy game except 8 and 10. Though, FF7 remains the pinnacle of the series in my opinion. That and Xenogears are still my most favorite JRPGs.
 

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
15,489
0
0
I enjoyed the game well enough. The dialogue does get hokey now and again, and Blitxball IS a pain in-story. The plot, the action, the fighting... That's pretty solid, right there. I have not played X-2, though.
 

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
724
0
0
Depends on your tolerance for stupidity.

Except for Auron and maybe Lulu, the main cast is...well, mentally challenged. Titus is insufferable, Yuna is just plain dumb, and Rikku acts like a sex object despite being fifteen. I really couldn't stand the fact that my hero is an insufferable idiot who thinks he's the shit when he's actually being carried by the infinitely more awesome Auron.

Still, if you ignore Blitzball, the game plays well and is filled with stuff to do. But if you ask me, you don't play a Final Fantasy game for the gameplay.
 

Lightspeaker

New member
Dec 31, 2011
934
0
0
FFX is, by far, the single best combat system in any main-line Final Fantasy game to date. Its a subtle variation on the ATB system which is referred to something like "conditional turn based"; in essence this means the combat is a lot more ordered and tactical because there's a bar at the side which lists precisely in what order turns will be taken by the characters in a battle, which changes depending on spells and things like that. It also has a wonderful swap in/swap out system allowing you to freely change your party in battle. And it has controllable summons which are just glorious.

The story isn't as strong as IX, but since IX is probably the finest game in the entire series that's a hard mark to beat. I'd probably put X as second or third on my list (either just ahead of or just behind IV). With VI as fourth and V as fifth.

If you're looking to avoid the really weird ones then start avoiding as of XI. XI and XIV are MMOs, XII is an MMO in single player form, XIII is a weird hybrid of going back to the old system and doing something new which basically falls apart.
 

coldorangejuice

New member
Aug 8, 2015
1
0
0
SlumlordThanatos said:
Depends on your tolerance for stupidity.

Except for Auron and maybe Lulu, the main cast is...well, mentally challenged. Titus is insufferable, Yuna is just plain dumb, and Rikku acts like a sex object despite being fifteen. I really couldn't stand the fact that my hero is an insufferable idiot who thinks he's the shit when he's actually being carried by the infinitely more awesome Auron.

Still, if you ignore Blitzball, the game plays well and is filled with stuff to do. But if you ask me, you don't play a Final Fantasy game for the gameplay.
INC SPOILERS DONT READ THIS IF U DONT WANT SPOILERS.

I had to register so I can reply to this one. I'm gonna 99% disagree with everything you just said.

Tidus isn't my favorite character, but I did enjoy the ballsy nature of his character. I mean, he thinks he is hot shit, and ofc he does, he is/was a celebrity for gods sake, and a playboy at that. I don't know if he is an IDIOT, I agree that he is not the most intelligent hero ever, but his heart way mostly always in the right place and that I can respect.

Yuna is an AMAZING protagonist to me. She starts off as a sheltered girl who has no free will and always follows the law and rules, doesn't question anything and just follows the path that is laid in front of her. But throughout the game, with the influece of Tidus (and Rikku) and his '' I do what I see is best '' attitude, Yuna changes, grows and matures, and gets courage to question things and follow her own feelings, of course with the help of others. Now that's what I call character development.

Rikku is definitely not a sex object. How does she even act like one?! She has one suggestive scene in which she strips her bodysuit and that's it. Lulu is the one who is basically just a mindless tits-on-toes character, hell, she isn't really even important to the story! She gets no real development and is just there to look down on Tidus the first quarter of the game.

Now Auron... ugh... I can't believe people are putting him on the pedestal. He is just another cliche, cheesy, unoriginal badass character who delivers SiCk BuRnS and knows everything and is always one step ahead of the enemy, always has the answers, is the stoic silent kind and never does no wrong, and once in a bluemoon he'll show some emotion and then everyone is like WOOOOaaAAaaaAAhhhHHH he showed emotion OmGggGGggg this guy has EmOtIoNSssSSS so baDAssssss!! I understand why people like him, but his character is just so uncool that it makes me cringe. It's just trying to make an effortlessly cool character but it's so obvious he was made to be just that, that it makes me kinda facepalm myself in embarrassment.

I'm sure this wont change your opinion on anything, but I think you are a bit unfair when you judge these characters. It seems that you're just throwing them out the window just because they are not just like Auron. But I digress.
 

Auron225

New member
Oct 26, 2009
1,790
0
0
Well it is my favourite game of all time, so I guess you could call me somewhat biased. It's the best story of them all (but 9 comes very close behind), I love the cast, the music is fantastic, the combat very good and a villain you'll love to hate.

If you liked all the others then there is a decent chance you will like this one. Most people's complaints centre around the voice acting and the character of Tidus (who they find insufferable, I don't mind him to say the least).

I'd say give it a shot. Most people I know include FFX amongst the "good Final Fantasy's" and call it the last good one.
 

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
724
0
0
coldorangejuice said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Depends on your tolerance for stupidity.

Except for Auron and maybe Lulu, the main cast is...well, mentally challenged. Titus is insufferable, Yuna is just plain dumb, and Rikku acts like a sex object despite being fifteen. I really couldn't stand the fact that my hero is an insufferable idiot who thinks he's the shit when he's actually being carried by the infinitely more awesome Auron.

Still, if you ignore Blitzball, the game plays well and is filled with stuff to do. But if you ask me, you don't play a Final Fantasy game for the gameplay.
INC SPOILERS DONT READ THIS IF U DONT WANT SPOILERS.

I had to register so I can reply to this one. I'm gonna 99% disagree with everything you just said.

Tidus isn't my favorite character, but I did enjoy the ballsy nature of his character. I mean, he thinks he is hot shit, and ofc he does, he is/was a celebrity for gods sake, and a playboy at that. I don't know if he is an IDIOT, I agree that he is not the most intelligent hero ever, but his heart way mostly always in the right place and that I can respect.

Yuna is an AMAZING protagonist to me. She starts off as a sheltered girl who has no free will and always follows the law and rules, doesn't question anything and just follows the path that is laid in front of her. But throughout the game, with the influece of Tidus (and Rikku) and his '' I do what I see is best '' attitude, Yuna changes, grows and matures, and gets courage to question things and follow her own feelings, of course with the help of others. Now that's what I call character development.

Rikku is definitely not a sex object. How does she even act like one?! She has one suggestive scene in which she strips her bodysuit and that's it. Lulu is the one who is basically just a mindless tits-on-toes character, hell, she isn't really even important to the story! She gets no real development and is just there to look down on Tidus the first quarter of the game.

Now Auron... ugh... I can't believe people are putting him on the pedestal. He is just another cliche, cheesy, unoriginal badass character who delivers SiCk BuRnS and knows everything and is always one step ahead of the enemy, always has the answers, is the stoic silent kind and never does no wrong, and once in a bluemoon he'll show some emotion and then everyone is like WOOOOaaAAaaaAAhhhHHH he showed emotion OmGggGGggg this guy has EmOtIoNSssSSS so baDAssssss!! I understand why people like him, but his character is just so uncool that it makes me cringe. It's just trying to make an effortlessly cool character but it's so obvious he was made to be just that, that it makes me kinda facepalm myself in embarrassment.

I'm sure this wont change your opinion on anything, but I think you are a bit unfair when you judge these characters. It seems that you're just throwing them out the window just because they are not just like Auron. But I digress.
Just...watch these videos and you'll see where I'm coming from. Spoony does a better job of explaining my dislike for it.
Spoony FFX reviews: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRaHDe3DDyyv1JUW-i7QJXa62RaI9wvd1
 

w23eer

New member
Mar 13, 2014
103
0
0
If you liked 4 - 9 then yeah, you'll like 10. It has the best combat system and the story isn't really any worse than the rest.

There are some annoyances though. The voice acting isn't great - in fact there are some bits very noticeably sped up and end up sounding weird. The cutscenes are unskippable, which gets annoying when you're stuck on a boss. The blitzball minigame is just awful, worse than those card games in FFIX, although you only have to do it once. Unless you want one of the best weapon and 'overdrives' (this game's 'limit break' or 'trance' mechanic) in the game. If you do, then you have to play it a whole lot.

But, really the gameplay saves it. And I really don't think the story is that bad, if you're able to ignore the absurdity of certain parts. The same can be said for any FF though.
 

Sniper Team 4

New member
Apr 28, 2010
5,433
0
0
I don't understand all the hate Final Fantasy X gets nowadays. When that game came out, it was all anyone was talking about. Even non Final Fantasy fans picked it up and enjoyed it. There's a reason it's not only been remastered for the PS3, but also for the PS4.

The game is good. If you liked the previous entries at all, from the seriousness of VII and VIII to the more whimsical feeling of IX, then X is a no-brainer. The voice acting might not have aged entirely well, but short of that horrible laughing scene, your ears aren't going to bleed out like some people seem to think. Blitzball is horrid, but you only have to play it once and then never see it again unless you choose to. The story is typical Final Fantasy, in that it's a group of teenagers/young adults with some slightly more mature characters in order to balance out the party. X oozes Final Fantasy in every sense of the word.

X-2 is also rather fun, so long as you know what you're getting. It stars three girls who fight by changing clothes. There is still a quest to save the world, but it's also much more light hearted than its prequel. If you enjoy Rikku and Yuna, then you'll want to give this game a try as well.
 

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
794
0
0
Final Fantasy X has what I think is the best combat system in the entire series, and possibly one of the best combat systems in any RPG. And visually, it's a gorgeous game.
X-2 is also pretty fun. It's very different, but it has a wonderful implementation of the job system.
 

Jedisolo75

New member
Aug 12, 2009
194
0
0
Yes! The combat is incredible, and the story is great. The voice acting isn't so good though.
 

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
799
0
0
I still like it, even though I hated most of the characters and the story is kinda stupid (complete with Starchild logic). Gameplay was fun, setting was cool and music was great. And it's certainly better than any of the recent bullshit with 'XIII' in the title.
 

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
1,155
0
41
dscross said:
i recently rediscovered the series and played some of the old ones. I've played 4-9 and loved them all. However, I know the series changed a lot after that.

Question is, with me liking the styles of the older games, should I dive into the newer ones? Some insight into the way it plays for anyone who has stuck with the series from old to present day would be appreciated. :)
It's actually a pretty decent addition to the series. Story wise, it's good. Your motivations are to stop a world-ending "Sin" Godzilla type monster from destroying the world by having your parties personal Summoner make a pilgrimage to acquire multiple summons and use the last one to defeat Sin (whom shall return after many years) and repeat the process.
Every character has a particular strength which makes you swap out characters to fight them more effectively until later in the game where you can push your characters into other builds. Plenty of side quests without feeling like they're extremely off the plot path.

Battles are fun and you feel motivated to keep pushing the story.
 

sonicneedslovetoo

New member
Jul 6, 2015
278
0
0
My favorite thing about the game is how Yuna, a support character, has a role in combat in the form of summons which is nice because she's neither useless in combat nor forced. HOWEVER Blitzball and the voice acting can really get in the way of your enjoyment of this game. My advice is watch a cutscene or two on youtube and see if you feel like you can get past that to the battle system. If you played through any of the ff13 games and hated them this will be a different experience with cooler and MUCH more likable characters.
 

Shoggoth2588

New member
Aug 31, 2009
10,250
0
0
Since Final Fantasy X retains the turn-based combat that made up how the earlier games in the series had, I would say that alone warrants a playthrough. Apparently Final Fantasy X-2 also has really good turn-based combat but I don't have a point of reference for that one quite yet. The main complaint I have against Final Fantasy X is how you can't skip cutscenes but that's really my only major gripe. As for games after, I haven't touched the MMOs, XII takes some getting used to but isn't bad and, XIII wasn't fun...at all...it was always once I got to the post-game but that's about it. XIII-2 uses a very similar battle system to XIII however, its presentation and other tweaks to gameplay make it a much more enjoyable experience if you can get through the prologue.
 

Lennie Briscoe

New member
Jan 18, 2011
47
0
0
Sure, why not give it a shot. You'll either:

A) Like it
or
B) Not like it

Neither of the above options are life-altering.