Should i buy a Nintendo 3DS XL

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
So i have been debating for awhile picking up a 3ds XL.

Pro: Pokemon
i love pokemon and i would love to just play through the new addition. BUT this leads me to my Con.

Con: The possibility of a Pokemon Z
there is a possibility that a Pokemon Z version will come out making a purchase of X or Y a bit silly. because i would much prefer a Pokemon Z Version

Pro: I don't have a lot of ideas for games that are good for the game
But you guys/girls can help me out with that right?....right?

but seriously any suggestions for really fun games

Cons: i don't know how useful it would be
i don't know if i would use the 3DS as much as i could.

Pro: The possibility of a Majoras Mask
i REALLY wanna play through majora again i really like the game.

But guys/girls

im not sure

should i get one?
should i wait for a special edition 3DS XL of Pokemon Z or Majoras Mask?
what are some really fun games on it?

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
I suppose it all just depends on whether or not you are that interested in a specific skin for your 3DS, how comfortable you are with portable gaming as opposed to console and PC gaming, and whether or not you desire a more. . . "kid friendly" experience. 3DS games are, by their very nature a lot more tame unless you go for the RPG's, which I recommend you do if you get one.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
The only issue I have with my 3DS XL is that I don't play it enough.

If I'm at home, I have no motivation really to whip it out, as I have my PC and I naturally gravitate towards that. It's not to say that the 3DS is unappealing, but that's just the way I work. I also ignore my PS3 downstairs, because it isn't my PC. I have games that I want to play on it, but for some reason just can't get invested in it.

So if you are doubtful from the off that you will actually use the device, it is a good point to consider. I really don't get a lot of play out of my 3DS currently. If I commuted on the train to work everyday though, I'd play it ridiculous amounts.

As for games, there are so many games for the 3DS now, that you really would struggle to make it through all the lists that people compile of 'must plays'. Especially if you are a fan of JRPGs and the like, because they are such time vacuums.

Overall the 3DS isn't expensive and has tons of games on it that are highly rated.

To name a few games: Monster Hunter, Super Mario, Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Bravely Default, Professor Layton, Kingdom Hearts, The Lego Games, Animal Crossing, Yoshi's Island, Harvest Moon, Scribblenauts, Kid Icarus, Shin Megami Tensei, Tales of the Abyss, Etrian Odyssey, there is a Kirby game on the horizon... I mean really there are just *tons* of games.

And considering the time sinks that JRPGs can be too, the hours of investment are already potentially there.

I had the same fear as you when getting mine though - 'Will I actually use it?'. And to be honest, I really don't use it. So you need to factor this in.

It is a great console with a great game listing, but if you won't play it, then you won't justify buying it.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
Oh, and I forgot you asked about the special editions!

To be honest, this is a really personal choice for you.

I really don't see the benefit on shelling out the extra cash for a special edition, when the original models look fine. I went for whichever colour was cheapest at the time when purchasing on an online retailer.

I don't see the value in paying the extra money often.

For example on amazon you can get the 3DS XL Pokemon XY special edition. It is £232. That is £82 more than a plain coloured one. If that still interests you, that's your prerogative. But it definitely ain't mine. If they came with the game and you were planning on buying that game, then it would make more sense to me, but as far as I see they are standalone. So for me, I see little reason to get them.

You won't even see the cover most of the time when playing and I assume you would conceal the console when travelling, so I don't really get when you'd see it.

But yes, personal preference here really.

Poppy JR.

Jun 25, 2013
Zeema said:

I think that if you think that you are going to play it, you should definitely pick one up. The games are consistently great and the Streetpass functionality is suprisingly cool.

Personally, I got the Fire Emblem Awakening 3DS, and I really like the design. (great game too.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If you want to make used of your 3DS then you should make sure of the Streetpass feature that is if you end up liking the streetpass game.
I take my to work so I can gather other streetpasser for my games (I bought the DLC) since I end up liking the Streetpass games.

As for getting games other than Pokemon, I highly recommended Fire Emblem: Awakenning but I do got to say there are only a few good games out for it at the moment (I waiting for Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright and Monster Hunter 4).

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
What's making you go for an XL over a regular 3DS?

Just curious here, I know the difference, it just seems to me that a larger screen without a larger resolution or decent upscaling (from what I hear) seems a bit unnecessary when you can buy the regular one for cheaper.

But yeah, fantastic games. I just wish they'd re-evaluate the prices for their digital downloads...

Virtual console's okay as are most indies, but the retail/download games? Yikes.

Nata-chan

Mar 11, 2014
I was also a bit iffy about the 3DS for a long time because I played my PS3 and not my old DS for many years. But I picked one up after Xmas and I got the 2 zelda games (OOT and LBW) and Pokemon X. So far I've finished OOT and Pokemon X (well, the story, gonna try and catch em all!). I haven't played the new zelda yet.

To address you Poke-worries. Pokemon X is good. It's got enough in it for the old fans, but it is a little bit easy. The challenge of playing it through again or after end game with different play modes (catch only 1 thing from each area, perma death pokemon, etc) makes it last longer. I haven't played it multiplayer (actually i dont have wifi here) but i've heard that adds another dimension.

If there is a Pokemon Z, you know you're gonna play it as well. I don't see this as a deterrent, just think of the more gaming you will have. The Pokebank, while a bit of a money pit, does also allow you to transfer into the game from previous gens, so you have all the DS pokemon to access too.

Games, well you are probably only going to play your go-to series on it. But that's ok.

I don't use the 3D mode. It hurts my eyes, though they did make it better with the Xl model. I recommend the XL because its got a bit bigger screen and it's actually nicer to hold IMO than the regular 3DS (which my friend had and I found too little).

Don't wait for a special edition unless you are only into their graphix on the skins. I bought a wicked white Navi siloette sticker from eBay for like $5 and stuck it on my silver/black XL. As such, I have what looks like a cool Zelda exclusive console. There are so many stickers and skins (especially in Japan) that you can get online, it's much better. If you are looking at the resell value, that's different. In which case, I would seriously make a trip to Japan or to Amazon Japan and buy there. Sure it'll be region locked, but they have some wicked exclusive stuff there!

That's just my 2c anyway.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Pink Gregory said:

Just curious here, I know the difference, it just seems to me that a larger screen without a larger resolution or decent upscaling (from what I hear) seems a bit unnecessary when you can buy the regular one for cheaper.

But yeah, fantastic games. I just wish they'd re-evaluate the prices for their digital downloads...

Virtual console's okay as are most indies, but the retail/download games? Yikes.

I thought the same way before I got mine, but I have to admit that the larger screen is much nicer. I bought mine second-hand from Game (have a good look at the condition, possibly buy warranty too) and it's much more comfortable to use for long periods of time or in the dark compared to some of my friends' regular 3DS. My only gripe is that the 3DS XL has to be the least ergonomic portable device of all time, ever. It's not so bad if you're playing Pokemon, but when I'm playing Mario Kart and things get a bit intense I'll grip it tighter- I've lost races before because my hand has just cramped up. This is coming from a guy that grew up with Playstation controllers.

But yeah, my advice is to go secondhand. You can find good ones for very reasonable prices, but be careful. I bought a year's warranty with mine (which wasn't too dear) just in case it dies.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I barely use mine. I usually pick it up for an hour sometimes before I go to bed, but really most of the best games seem to just be RPGs and cost about $30-40, which I don't have to spend on handheld games. Most of the other games are usually just pick up and play games, meaning their appeal barely lasts beyond an hour or two at a time. Of course, being a handheld system, this should be expected, but I actually grew up playing handheld games for hours at home, so I found myself a bit disappointed to be honest. I still prefer my old PSP to the 3DS, and I almost wish I would have went with a PSVita instead.

I didn't really like Pokemon X as much as other people do, and while I really enjoyed my time with Ocarina of Time 3D, I've played that game hundreds of times before (though this is my first time playing Master Quest, which is really messing with my head, but still fun). Other than that, I have Kingdom Hearts 3D, which has the STUPID Drop mechanic (WHICH HAPPENS IN THE MIDDLE OF BOSS BATTLES!!! WHY??!!), and a handheld port of Blazblue: Continuum Shift, which is subpar.

Overall, I just don't go anywhere often enough that warrants the type of gameplay the 3DS seems to give me, which is short bursts of gameplay. It's just my personal feelings on the system however. Maybe once I get my first paycheck and buy a few more games I'll change my mind, but I still wonder how I would feel if I would have got a Vita instead.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I think yes - if you can get past playing on a handheld, it has by far one of the best gaming libraries out there currently (ESPECIALLY if you count a DS library). There are tons of really good RPGs and a lot of in depth games on there worth your time.

Fire Emblem: Awkening, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Rune Factory IV, Zelda, Bravery Default, Tales of the Abyss, Pokemon, etc.

The DS also has a huge library of solid RPGs and other games that would be worth looking into (You can probably also get them relatively cheap).

Overall, I think it comes down to how much you can deal with playing a handheld. If you don't travel all that much and can't play a handheld in your house, then I wouldn't get it, but if you can get over that and play it when you aren't traveling, I think it has one of the best gaming libraries of the generation.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Zeema said:
should i get one?
If you really want a special edition, then you might want to wait. Personally, though, I'd just get the standard 3DS XL and wait until Pokemon Z comes out, provided that it does come out.

As for some good games:

Shin Megami Tensei IV: I really recommend this just because everyone else loved it, and I'd imagine it would appeal to any major Pokemon fans. Personally, I found it a bit more on the aggravating side given the level of randomness worked into the game, but if you can look past that flaw, you'd probably like this game.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennial Girl: Sort of reminiscent of Shin Megami Tensei IV at times (obviously, it's from the same developer), but I've been finding this to be a more enjoyable experience. It's one of the few games that really takes advantage of the 3DS's touchscreen, which is an obvious plus. I haven't played Etrian Odyssey IV, but it's also on the 3DS I believe, and I hear that it is actually better than this one. Just be warned that it does use a grid-based movement system, which I know some people hate. Still, the game works well with it.

Tales of the Abyss: If you missed it on the PS2, the 3DS version is good enough. I wouldn't say it is the best Tales game, but it is still very enjoyable.

Rune Factory 4: If you don't mind throwing your life away for the next few months while also not being forced to play the game every day, then Rune Factory 4 is a good game. It combines elements from Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and The Legend of Zelda, and while that also can sort of be the game's downfall, as it requires a considerable investment and has far more to do than you can keep up with, it is a very fun game to play if you have the time.

New Super Mario Bros. 2: The game is basically just a rehash of the older NSMB games, but it still has good level design that is worth it if you can get it cheap.

As far as games that I haven't played but have heard are good on the 3DS, there's The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I've heard it was transferred to the 3DS well, and some say it may be better than the N64 version, but I still haven't played it to compare the two), and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

There's also Super Mario 3D Land. Like most Mario games it is solid, but I do have to say that it feels like they took a few steps backwards in this game. The camera controls sometimes makes it hard to play without 3D on (which isn't good if it hurts your eyes), and I still question the wisdom in having a dedicated run button rather than basing it off how far the slider is held. It might be worth checking out, but I really wouldn't do so unless you really enjoy Mario and just want to see some reasonably unique level design for him.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I've seen people recommending SMT IV and Rune Factory 4. I notice you live in Australia so, I'm guessing you get largely the same games as us Brits. So a bit of advice:

Buy an American 3DS.

PAL regions are routinely fucked when it comes to releases. We still don't have SMT IV and we will never get Rune Factory 4. Soul Hackers took the better part of a year to be released and tons of other games are either taking their sweet time or not coming. It isn't worth buying a PAL region 3DS.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
MysticSlayer said:
As far as games that I haven't played but have heard are good on the 3DS, there's The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (I've heard it was transferred to the 3DS well, and some say it may be better than the N64 version, but I still haven't played it to compare the two), and Kingdom Hearts 3D.

I played OoT extensively on the N64 and the 3DS version is a lot better actually. There is increased detail in the environments, character models look almost redesigned, graphics are lot sharper, interface and menus are a lot more functional(making the dreaded water palace way less of a chore) and pre-rendered backgrounds in the game(like the town in Hyrule) are completely retouched making them almost look indistinguishable from what looked like washed out GIFs in the original. It's a fantastic game and I'm glad they remade it with such care and attention to detail.

But anyways yeah I'd recommend buying a 3DS. I personally love Zelda games so for me it was a no-brainer but if you're into JRPGs or Nintendo IPs in general the 3DS pretty much got you covered. Granted I only play on 3DS during coffee breaks, but then again, I take a lot of coffee breaks. :p Portables are ideal if you want to play a quality game in quick bursts. While the games are often good enough to keep you occupied for longer as well.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I am in the same boat as the OP (barring the Pokemon angle). All the best RPG's are coming out on 3DS, but I can't be bothered to play handheld...

I swear, I would buy a Wii-U in a heartbeat if it would allow crossplay with 3DS!!!

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Zeema said:
Are you into JRPGs?

If yes, buy one immediately. Its got the best collection of new JRPGs on it right now.

It's price point is at an acceptable point now and it has a good library of games.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
TheRightToArmBears said:
Pink Gregory said:

I thought the same way before I got mine, but I have to admit that the larger screen is much nicer. I bought mine second-hand from Game (have a good look at the condition, possibly buy warranty too) and it's much more comfortable to use for long periods of time or in the dark compared to some of my friends' regular 3DS. My only gripe is that the 3DS XL has to be the least ergonomic portable device of all time, ever. It's not so bad if you're playing Pokemon, but when I'm playing Mario Kart and things get a bit intense I'll grip it tighter- I've lost races before because my hand has just cramped up. This is coming from a guy that grew up with Playstation controllers.

But yeah, my advice is to go secondhand. You can find good ones for very reasonable prices, but be careful. I bought a year's warranty with mine (which wasn't too dear) just in case it dies.
Oh I can certainly recommend second-hand as well. No need to buy new when perfectly serviceable models still exist. Though Game in particular can be a bit questionable with what they accept as working. That's where I got mine from - cheaper than new, sur;, but the first time I was sent one with a misaligned touchscreen and some nasty scratches (which I returned), second time I was sent a faulty AC adaptor.

Maybe I was just unlucky, though.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I bought a special edition Pokemon X and Y Nintendo 3DSXL in red and I regularly play the hell out of it, especially at work, and now that Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton came out yesterday, I have been playing it more than ever. If you think you are going to play it, then by all means purchase one. It also plays Nintendo DS games as well, so it has taken over my use of the Nintendo DS lite for my portable game needs. The games I own for it are as follows:

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright: Ace attorney
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Pokemon X and Pokemon Y
Luigi's mansion 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3D
Legend of Zelda: A Link between worlds

I have had hours of fun with all of them, and I am thinking of purchasing Shin Megami Tensei: Devil survivor overclocked as I have always had fun with SMT games, it would be nice to see a PAL release of Shin Megami Tensei IV sometime soon.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Zeema said:

Pro: Pokemon
i love pokemon and i would love to just play through the new addition. BUT this leads me to my Con.

Con: The possibility of a Pokemon Z
there is a possibility that a Pokemon Z version will come out making a purchase of X or Y a bit silly. because i would much prefer a Pokemon Z Version

Pro: I don't have a lot of ideas for games that are good for the game
But you guys/girls can help me out with that right?....right?

but seriously any suggestions for really fun games

Cons: i don't know how useful it would be
i don't know if i would use the 3DS as much as i could.

Pro: The possibility of a Majoras Mask
i REALLY wanna play through majora again i really like the game.

But guys/girls

im not sure

should i get one?
I'll tell you this, I picked up a 2DS for christmas for Pokemon. Played it, loved it, beat it, I've barely touched the damn thing since.

It *COULD* be a lovely little game machine if Nintendo would get around to releasing the back catalog of SNES/NES games on it ala Virtual Console, but their dragging their knuckles. They've been saying SMB3 would be coming out back since December.

I would save your money.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Pink Gregory said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
Pink Gregory said:

Oh I can certainly recommend second-hand as well. No need to buy new when perfectly serviceable models still exist. Though Game in particular can be a bit questionable with what they accept as working. That's where I got mine from - cheaper than new, sur;, but the first time I was sent one with a misaligned touchscreen and some nasty scratches (which I returned), second time I was sent a faulty AC adaptor.

Maybe I was just unlucky, though.
Yeah, mine had damaged panel by the right shoulder button. I think the warranty was only something like £20-£25 though, so if it really bothers me I can get it sorted completely for a lot less than a new console. I probably will before it runs out just to get my money's worth.