Should i buy Dark Souls for Pc

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
So i have been playing with the idea of buying Dark Souls for a while now, having heard so many good things about it.
That being said i only play pc games and i also heard that the pc version is horrible.
So my question is:
Is the Pc Version fixed yet?
Or is it still horrible?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DSFix fixes the PC version to the level of "acceptable". However, there's a few caveats:
1) You basically need a controller to play the game. The M&KB controls are just terrible.
2) The game uses GFWL. GFWL is shutting down in June of this year and neither Namco or From have said one way or another if they're going to patch out GFWL on PC or just let Dark Souls die.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I had no problems playing the game with a controller without DSFix. I had a consistent framerate (30FPS) and the controls were responsive. It's much better with the fix, but it's basically the same as the console version without. Better, even, as there was no slowdown.

If you don't have an Xinput controller (360 controller for instance) then don't bother. Some people reported cripplingly low framerates without the fix, even with better hardware than mine, so my experience was not universal.

Also GFWL is shutting down, so you may end up needing to crack the game you just bought if From/Namco don't remove it. This will kill the online play either way, so later this year the console version will either be better or worse depending on your view of the multiplayer.

Qvar

OBJECTION!
Aug 25, 2013
Weaver said:
DSFix fixes the PC version to the level of "acceptable". However, there's a few caveats:
1) You basically need a controller to play the game. The M&KB controls are just terrible.
2) The game uses GFWL. GFWL is shutting down in June of this year and neither Namco or From have said one way or another if they're going to patch out GFWL on PC or just let Dark Souls die.
...I didn't find much problem playing M&KB. I completed the game twice in what seemed like the usual difficulty judging for what I heard. Maybe even a bit less.
The menu bindings are kind of weird, and you have to learn where are they because the game tooltips will always assume that you are using a controller, but it's nothing outrageous most of the time, and you can rebind them.

But of course, you have to also install DSMFix. Which apparently is some jungle myth for most people.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
You'll need a controller - NEED - but other than the hideously awful mouse and keyboard controls I haven't had any problems with it.

mezorin

Jan 9, 2007
Definitely, but get the patch to fix the fps/screen resolution, and play the game on a controller. The Xbox controller is actually really good for this, though just about any logitech will do. That being said, do not expect any miracles game optimization wise, or your PC to perfectly run the game. Dark Souls Blight town brings a computer that can run Planetside 2, Skyrim, and Battlefield 4 at 60 FPS to its knees, even with the FPS patch.

That said even after all that, its a fantastic game that rewards player persurverience and skill, and most defintely worth it to play through. Once you are to the point where you can beat any boss in the game, you will feel like you are the Batman because you legitimately earned it. Just prepare to die, a lot.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
When GFWL dies Dark Souls PC dies with it (legally at least), by all means buy it, but remember you are playing against the clock.

Arfreid

Aug 13, 2009
If you have a PS3, get it for PS3, there are no fee's for the online. Darksouls is one of the few games where the online features actually improves the game.

If you still insist on getting it for PC, get a controller, and prepare to mod it. The mods won't cost you and they improve the game in many ways... Just be warned that you still need to pay a for a XBox-live gold membership if you want to use the online features...

Pieturli

Mar 15, 2012
It's definitely a bit wonky, but with the mouse and resolution fixes, it's playable. I'm currently in NG+ and I'm doing fine, just got my ass handed to me by Artorias.

I've had no problems playing it with mouse and keyboard. As I said, it's wonky, but it's acceptable.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Arfreid said:
If you have a PS3, get it for PS3, there are no fee's for the online. Darksouls is one of the few games where the online features actually improves the game.

If you still insist on getting it for PC, get a controller, and prepare to mod it. The mods won't cost you and they improve the game in many ways... Just be warned that you still need to pay a for a XBox-live gold membership if you want to use the online features...
There's no Xbox-live on pc, not even with gfwl.
I aggree that gfwl was horrible, but it isn't that horrible.

To everyone:
Didn't know it needs Gfwl. I am just going to wait and see how the games fare without gfwl. If it won't work without it, i will not pay 30 Euros (A lot more than 30 dollars) to own a game just for a few months, no no no.