Should i buy Dues Ex:HR and Bioshock 1 ?

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
I have not yet played these two games and there's a good deal going on for both these games where i live. The problem is the ending of Bioshock 1 has already been spoiled for me so am not sure if its worth playing the game when its ending has been already spoiled for me.
As for Deus Ex:HR the thing is am not really a fan of stealth games. so i want to know its worth picking up this game just for the story alone ? is the story really good enough to warrant the purchase neglecting the gameplay elements ?
And yes both these games are for the PC version and ive heard a lot of people had problems with Bioshock 1 crashing on startup etc so is there a fix or something for it ? and how does Deus Ex play on the PC ? any bugs i should know about ?
Waiting for your responses before i order the games. Thanks in advance.
My pc specs- dual core pentium G630,8gb ddr3 ram, radeon hd7750 1gb gddr5,windows 7 64 bit professional

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Human Revolution's story is OK, and it has some interesting moral quandaries, but it's not all that interesting, and stealth is pretty much required since you have so little health. Don't know about PC performance.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
You haven't really stated your preferences or what other games you like, therefore it's a bit hard to see whether you will like them or not.

Bioshock 1 is set in a creepy dystopian world. While it is no true horror game, it was still enough to freak me out, especially at the beginning. The plot twist has been spoiled for me as well, but it was nevertheless very impressive to see how masterfully executed it was.
I'm a big sucker for destroyed and abandoned places, so I love it. The story was pretty good and I enjoyed the Tennenbaum audiologs a lot. You might see it differently though.

DE: HR has everything that usually piques my interest, and yet I didn't like the game at all. During the stealth sections I was glued to chest high walls, the enemy perception was inconsistent and it was frustratingly boring. Boss fights are - as everyone stated - complete bullshit, especially if you are a stealth-specialized pacifist character.
The choices given were nice, but there were almost no diverging branches of story, so don't expect much freedom. The story is meh, if you don't buy the "Am I still human if I have robo-arms?" - angst. This game has style and cool fashion, but it's not enough to make it truly interesting.

Alpha Protocol was a lot more fun, in my opinion. It's silly and sometimes cliched, but I enjoyed myself through out the entire game. The choices had real and unforeseen impact on the story, the characters were interesting and unique and it made so many things right. Many people hated its gameplay, but I loved being able to stealth and be a kung-fu master at the same time. (Just don't forget to spec into pistols for the boss fights.)

EDIT:
And yes both these games are for the PC version and ive heard a lot of people had problems with Bioshock 1 crashing on startup etc so is there a fix or something for it ? and how does Deus Ex play on the PC ? any bugs i should know about ?
Played both on PC, had no problems either way. Deus Ex has weird bindings and shitty camera for shooting, but it's bearable. Bioshock 1 is a great port, but I had problems when I switched from German to English and all my major cutscenes were suddenly without sound. If you buy an English copy, you should have no problems with it.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I think you should. Those games are both great, and ones that are the kind of thing that are kind of necessary to have experienced. Definitely Bioshock, if not Deus Ex.

And the thing about Bioshock is that the spoiler that really matters is the one that happens about 2/3 of the way through, not at the end. But that may be the spoiler you're referring to anyway, or if not then maybe you already know. Either way, it's still a really fun game. I'm playing through it right now for the second or third time, and I'm still having great fun without despite knowing all the twists in the story. It's still an enjoyable story, and there are plenty of other aspects to enjoy about it too. The atmosphere and aesthetic, the combat, the music. It's something you should see first hand. I have no idea how well it runs on any PC though, let alone yours, so I can't really help you on that.

Deus Ex is also pretty damned good. I personally haven't gotten far in it myself, but from the little I have played it seemed really good, even though I also am not really a fan of stealth games. It doesn't seem like you are forced to do everything super-stealthily, though. You can just shoot everyone in your way, but you can't treat it like your average shooter. You need to be smart about it. But the game gives you a ton of options, which is really fun to experiment with. The general consensus on that game is that it's pretty brilliant, apart from the boss fights, which pretty much force you to resort to shooting. That might not be a problem for you if you're not planning on building a character who is super-stealthy and never kills anyone. Although if you have a Wii U you might want to wait until the version for that comes out. The boss fights are supposed to be much improved, along with a lot of other improvements, one of which is seamlessly adding in story DLC in the campaign of the game. But much like Bioshock, the game has a fantastic atmosphere. It's really brilliantly done. I don't know about with your specific machine, but the game runs really well on PCs. It was designed primarily for PCs, so it has a really good version.

exxxed

Mar 30, 2013
As one who played both, I'd go for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, used to be a big fan of both Deus Ex and System Shock back in the day and this new installment of DE is a very good reminder of the good old days of gaming, great story, excellent pacing and absolutely delicious cyberpunk atmosphere.

No big bugs to speak of (frankly I don't remember any), the game runs prefectly fine (9800GT OC'd Core 2 Duo 2.4 and 4 gb ddr3) you might take issue with boss fights if you chose the stealthy approach to gameplay (you always have choices on how to approach every situation, stealth is not mandatory but is rewarded as it should be) but for me it only made things interesting, the gameplay is fluid and versatile, the voice acting is great and the story is quite something, but it's a given for a Deus Ex game.

Now for Bioshock, well I hated this game from the start because of my ignorance on the purchase, they had limited installs, what the hell is that, I never heard of such things on PC back then (eventually they removed that shite), but it eventually grew on me once I realized it's nothing like what it has been advertised as, spiritual bla bla something or other System Shock 2 shenanigans, the atmosphere is fantastic, the pacing is fairly good (if a bit restrictive in tactics and open-endness) the art direction is quite something, Rapture is a marvel but the game grew tiresome after a point, kept doing the same old crap over and over and the story didn't keep me interested until the end (never got to finish the bugger).

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Ok thanks for the heads up. Both the games are only $5 each so i'll order both and see which one i like more.
Also should i buy Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 3 ? which one is the better game overall in terms of story, gameplay etc ?

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
I'd go with Deus Ex. It's my favorite game of 2011, and one of my favorite game of this generation and even all time.
It has a great story, amazing gameplay, you get to choose how to approach your missions. You don't have to do stealth, I went in guns blazing, shooting everyone I saw and I did just fine. You just need to think while doing it, you can't stay in the open while shooting, you can't just run up to a guy, melee, then expect to stay alive with others around you.
There is also the stealth approach, DE is a more fast paced stealth game, and it can be pretty tense, and also quite rewarding when you go down that hidden vent and find $$$ and upgrades.
The game also has some great moral issues, such as how far should we tamper with our nature? would we be susceptible to being controlled? would this just make the rich better and more efficient in every way?

And of course, gotta touch on the art style, music, and social conversation. The art style is really reflective of how humanity is going through a renaissance, the fashion looks like futuristic renaissance designs, and the cyberpunk cities look amazing. The game uses it's colors of gold and black very well.
Music? what is there to say, really. It fits the atmosphere perfectly and adds that much to the game.

The social conversations do actually carry weight in the game. Succeed in this one? you could possibly have the mission become easier for you. Did you blow it? you must find other paths into your objectives.
Also, they themselves become progressively harder as you play. You must choose how to approach someone, are they getting angry at you? do they seem to be getting convinced? as the game says, it's all about what they want to hear.

I could go on and on about the utter greatness of this game, but TL;DR: Get Human Revolution.

Karoshi

Jul 9, 2012
mohit9206 said:
Ok thanks for the heads up. Both the games are only $5 each so i'll order both and see which one i like more.
Also should i buy Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 3 ? which one is the better game overall in terms of story, gameplay etc ?
Dead Space 1 is a good horror game, whereas Dead Space 3 is a coop action shooter with slight horror influences. The story seems to be better in Dead Space 1, but I'm no judge. Pick whatever genre you prefer.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Karoshi said:
mohit9206 said:
Dead Space 1 is a good horror game, whereas Dead Space 3 is a coop action shooter with slight horror influences. The story seems to be better in Dead Space 1, but I'm no judge. Pick whatever genre you prefer.
Dead Space is my favorite IP to appear this generation, mostly because of Dead Space 1. There were some issues with the controls on the pc port but it works fine now. Also rotate the camera in the opening cutscenes after you arrive on the ship to see what you look like, if you don't want to wait till the very end.

YeOldeMoose

Feb 1, 2011
Both games have a very interesting and unique world. I personally think the games are worth picking up just to experience what the worlds have to offer. The game play is also pretty solid for both. One last thing, you can play Human Revolution like it is less of a stealth game. You will have to take advantage of cover and play smart, but that doesn't mean its not possible. Just because a game doesn't have regenerating health and CoD style shooting doesn't mean it is required to be played as a stealth game.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
I would say get Deus Ex:HR. If you dont like stealth just play it Rambo style - both playstyles work fine (sinces thats the way the game is designed) and both are equally fun in my opinion. As for Bioshock 1 I dont know - I have brought it on Steam, but haven't yet got round to playing it, so I dont really know if its worth the money yet.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
Deus ex:HR is one of my favourite games of all time.

...but stealth is by far the main way to play. You can play it as a cover shooter once you have the right augs and upgrades but it's very difficult to kill a building full of people when you die in a few hits. Your health only partially regenerates and does so very very slowly. If you want to kill everyone you could make it easier my hacking a turret and making it kill people...but that's not always a solution

I think that's brilliant but current run and gunner players probably won't.

The story itself is fairly straight forward and simple. Probably too simple, we have a lead go here, omg there are bad guys, what a surprise, a few revelations-rinse and repeat.
It's good because of the world building and atmosphere, side missions and conversations reveal stuff about current technology, and the politics for and againts augmentations

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
BioShock 1 honestly didnt seem that great to me. Loved Deus EX:HR and the DLC though. Decent story, fun gameplay.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
mohit9206 said:
For the original question -- You only really have to play Human Revolution as a stealth game if you're playing on the "Give Me Deus Ex" difficulty, otherwise stealth or action are equally viable in most situations. Its control scheme takes a bit of getting used to, especially how the cover mechanic works, but overall works rather well once you know how to work it and the game is a fantastic PC port. The story may not be as good as the original Deus Ex, but I think it's well worth getting the game for, and miles above most other games in the similar genre these days.

As for Bioshock, I've played it two or three times so far on the PC and never seen any major issues after it's been fully updated. The gameplay is a bit lacking, owing mostly to the fact that aiming is extremely loose and floaty on the mouse and enemy balance takes a nose-dive towards brick wall bullet-sponge territory about halfway through, but the atmosphere is top-notch and Andrew Ryan is one of the most fantastic antagonists I've ever seen.

Now, on to Dead Space; The first game has terrible PC controls. By that I mean the last time I actually bothered trying to play it, the mouse sensitivity was so low that I could barely aim properly, even after cranking it as high as it could go. It has admittedly been about two years since then, but still. The atmosphere is certainly the best in the first game, but Dead Space 2 is where the gameplay and narrative really feel like they shine, even if it is the shortest of the trilogy. Dead Space 3 has the awesome weapon crafting mechanic, side-missions and more open areas, but the atmosphere falls flat on its face, on "Hard" it's only about as difficult as the first two were on "Normal", and the narrative is a bit... well, wacky, and it's really a franchise you want to follow from the beginning if you're going to be playing for the story at all.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Forget Deus Ex then, as what is not stealth is comprised of terrible boss battles. You will NOT get any enjoyment out of this game. I don't know how anyone can tell this guy it has great gameplay when he clearly states he does not like stealth which will make this game a waste of his money. Please trust me on this.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
Zeckt said:
Forget Deus Ex then, as what is not stealth is comprised of terrible boss battles. You will NOT get any enjoyment out of this game. I don't know how anyone can tell this guy it has great gameplay when he clearly states he does not like stealth which will make this game a waste of his money. Please trust me on this.
well i dont quite like stealth games because am pretty bad at being stealthy and get caught very soon.The last stealth game i played was Hitman:Blood Money and i had to use walkthroughts to complete the game.
Also i wanna know if player choices matter in Bioshock 1 and Deus Ex ?

Apr 5, 2008
I have to say both suggested games are great. BioShock is linear and there's only one real choice to be made throughout the game and all it affects is the whether the player gets the "good" ending or the "bad" ending. It is fun, looks good, plays well, has an interesting world to explore and story to unfold.

Deus Ex: HR rewards the player greatly for stealth and exploration, but neither are by any means absolutely necessary. It's a bit let down by stupid, stupid little things that are sadly the "done thing" in modern action games, like context-button takedowns, cover-based shooting, etc. But these are liveable with, the only flaw that affects gameplay is by design, and it's that energy (used to power augmentations) only regerenates up to two bars. This means you really can't have nearly enough fun with them.

The story is good and choices do have effects. How Adam deals with situations in conversation have affect how other characters deal with him, how future quests play out or in one case, if it's even available at all.

Saying the above, it's a bloody well made game. The gunplay is solid and satisfying, as are the RPG elements (upgrading weapons and augs). The story is great and rewarding the more ancilliary information the player reads. It links nicely to the original Deus Ex too. I really do recommend it highly, though there will by necessity be some stealth play. But fear not, there are augmentations to increase Adam's combat prowess and survivability. It was (jointly with Skyrim) easily best game of 2011, and 2012 too considering nothing came out that year to better it.