Should I Buy L.A. Noire?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Well the Steam Autumn sale is on day two, and it is determined to take all my money from me. Today, L.A. Noire is on sale for %50 off, costing $25. So, should I buy it?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
If you don't mind a great story paired with mediocre-to-horrid gameplay, go for it.

The car chases are fun, at least.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
If you want to buy it, buy it. It's your money and you should choose how you want to spend it. Yes, you should buy it but you shouldn't need our help.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I don't know. Should I buy a speed boat? Should I buy this box of cantaloupes? Should buy a ham or a cheese sandwich?

I need to know more about what kind of games you like before I can recommend LA Noire to you at any price.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Definitely. It's incredibly good, and it's not really like any other game out there either. I haven't regretted buying it new for even a second, so at $25 it's a no brainer.

Just... prepare yourself for disappointment with the ending. It's still a great game overall, don't let me put you off, but seriously the ending is terrible, especially in contrast to the incredibly high quality of the rest of the game. *sigh*

OldKingClancy

Jun 2, 2011
Buy it but don't play it all in one, try stopping for a day after each promotion because it's a great noir story BUT the gameplay gets very repeatitive.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Great story concluded with a crappy ending. Very fun gameplay actually, excluding sub-par-GTA-Style shootouts in some missions.

I certainlt wasn't disappointed with it (oh and let me tell you, I was so hyped about it, a slight disappointment would actually mean 'very good in this case), and it's worth the money, but it's a game to beat once and never go back to it. I thought I will not turn off the console before getting a Platinum Trophy, but after finishing it, I actually lost interest in playing through the same cases again, just to get 5 stars ratings.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Yeah, I've been looking at that... personally I'd wait until Christmas, it'll be a lot cheaper then.
ToastiestZombie said:
If you want to buy it, buy it. It's your money and you should choose how you want to spend it. Yes, you should buy it but you shouldn't need our help.
...what?! Words fail me...
Im not getting where your coming from here? Do you think its a good post, or are you so shocked by it words fail you?

])rStrangelove

Oct 25, 2011
Yeah, rent it if you can. Played through it on PS3 and while its great to watch those faces moving like in RL, the game gets old very quickly. Never had the desire to play it a 2nd time, nor to do all the archievements.

Big letdown: on PC its locked to 30 fps, making the controls somewhat laggy (if you're used to smooth pc games).

Think VERY carefully before buying this. Actually i can't believe why somebody would consider buying this in the midst of the greatest releases the pc market ever had in years: BF3, Skyrim, AC3, WH40K: Spacemarine, BatmanAC - all great pc titles!

Navarone9942

Jun 2, 2009
The Devils Guitar said:
Rent it, compelete it in a week, never play it again. A great game but there's absaloutly NO replayability!
buy it, think its awesome, play it to death, get to homicide, solve some amazingly well written cases, get shouted at, beat homicide, beat vice, get sacked, play as some prick you dont like, rejoin da rozzers, play through arson, play as twat again, get pissed with crap end game storyline, sell game.

thats what I did and I at least got a decent amount of cash for it since I had for 3 days on 360 and I didnt even finish the game.

Have some sense and buy SKYRIM if you can run LA Noire, you can play TESV!!

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Navarone9942 said:
Have some sense and buy SKYRIM if you can run LA Noire, you can play TESV!!
People keep saying stuff like this as if there is some rule about only buying one computer game. Do what I do in steam sales:

BUY ALL THE THINGS!!!

There are still games I haven't played from the last one, but I'm sure I will.

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
OldKingClancy said:
Buy it but don't play it all in one, try stopping for a day after each promotion because it's a great noir story BUT the gameplay gets very repeatitive.
Y'know, I'll second this. I was going to tell you not to buy it because I didn't like it, but looking back, that's probably because I tried to play it all in a couple weeks or so. The gameplay is very repetitive, but the story is not. Each case is well put together and interesting in its own way. So it's worth buying at some point, but not now. Not for $25. I imagine it'll be marked down lower and lower the closer we get towards Christmas, so maybe buy it then?

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
Do you have the money? Is it your type of game? Do you want to buy it? Have you heard good things about it? Does the content interest you?

Really, you should be asking yourself if you want to buy it - not us.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
The game itself was okay, but i hated the truth/doubt/lie system for interrogations. In most cases it wasnt entirely clear between doubt and lie. Doubt could sometimes be a nice question and sometimes he was straightout accusing the suspect.

It's more of an interactive movie than a game really.

StrixMaxima

Sep 8, 2008
I disliked it, and I'm happy I played it for some hours at a friend's house instead of buying it. It has terrible gameplay, and poor system choices. If you like the setting, get a collection of Noir police flicks from the 40's and you'll be better off.

I would only purchase it as a All-DLC bundle for no more than 15 bucks. Even then, that would depend what's besides it on the bargain bin.

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
L.A Noire is fantastic. as the proverbial indian bloke says in the Dilmah tea ads. Do Buy it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Depends if you're alright with the complete crash in quality when you hit the runup to the ending, seriously the fuck was that one guy who writes the entire plot thinking?

The gameplay's alright, it's just got the problem of figuring out which type of logic the current scenario is operating under

$25? What that's like £15-20? Go for it