Should I buy NieR Automata?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I haven't played it yet considering the PC port is ass and I don't have (and refuse to get) an 8th gen console. It gets even more insulting though when you consider that they still want $60 on Steam for it, sales be damned.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
jademunky said:
Worgen said:
Just buy it, its fucken good.
Yes sir.

But whyyyyyyy do they all have to look like fetish dolls?!?

Wait, I know. Because Japan.
Basically, because Yoko Taro likes cute girls.

That was his actual reasoning.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
absolutely yes, unless you find the sexualization off putting.

Its one of the best games of last year, but maybe I'm biased, since I like weird stuff, and I'm also weeb trash.

EDIT: and yes, avoid the PC port like the plague, its atrocious.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I'm going to be flamed for saying this, like all PlatinumGames, you should set the difficulty to easy your first time through and enjoy the weird, convoluted story. (In general, I think PlatinumGames easy playthrough should be your tutorial for a normal or difficult run because their games are about replayability and getting better each time.)

I mean, Nier: Automata is kind of too long (to achieve most of the meaningful endings) and I can appreciate the gameplay, but it's like as long as both Bayonetta games, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising put together if you're going after all the main story endings. So, you'll probably like it better if you check your ego and lower the difficulty.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Cold Shiny said:

Its one of the best games of last year, but maybe I'm biased, since I like weird stuff, and I'm also weeb trash.

I do find it a bit off putting but am willing to overlook.

As for the PC port, too late. I don't own a console newer than an Xbox 360. Looks like patching and modding time for me tonight.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Ravenbom said:
I'm going to be flamed for saying this, like all PlatinumGames, you should set the difficulty to easy your first time through and enjoy the weird, convoluted story. (In general, I think PlatinumGames easy playthrough should be your tutorial for a normal or difficult run because their games are about replayability and getting better each time.)

I mean, Nier: Automata is kind of too long (to achieve most of the meaningful endings) and I can appreciate the gameplay, but it's like as long as both Bayonetta games, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising put together if you're going after all the main story endings. So, you'll probably like it better if you check your ego and lower the difficulty.
If there's anything out there more important than my ego I want it caught and shot right now. No easy mode!

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
jademunky said:
Cold Shiny said:

I do find it a bit off putting but am willing to overlook.

As for the PC port, too late. I don't own a console newer than an Xbox 360. Looks like patching and modding time for me tonight.
FAR fixes a lot. The cutscenes are still janky at times, but I didn't have any real problems with the game, personally.

jademunky said:
Ravenbom said:

If there's anything out there more important than my ego I want it caught and shot right now. No easy mode!
To be fair, Nier Automata is actually pretty easy in general with the right setup of ability chips. I didn't die once the entire game.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Kotaro said:
FAR fixes a lot. The cutscenes are still janky at times, but I didn't have any real problems with the game, personally.
I'll have to remember that.

So far, no problems. Weirdly defaulted to windowed mode on first launch but nothing besides that.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
The game itself seems great so far. Just beat the first boss. Noticed that the devs seem to have a fondness for slow-moving-death-orbs.

One thing that worries me is that the chipset skill system is just baffling. Gonna ignore it for now and hope that it gets explained properly later.

Sep 9, 2007
jademunky said:
One thing that worries me is that the chipset skill system is just baffling. Gonna ignore it for now and hope that it gets explained properly later.
It doesn't. What did you want to know about it? I (or someone else here) might be able to help.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
The Eupho Guy said:
jademunky said:
It doesn't. What did you want to know about it? I (or someone else here) might be able to help.
Just what works and what doesn't. I'm only an hour and change in, how do I best build my character and what mistakes should I avoid? I noticed that I was burning through health items pretty rapidly against the giant sawblade things.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
jademunky said:
The Eupho Guy said:
jademunky said:
Just what works and what doesn't. I'm only an hour and change in, how do I best build my character and what mistakes should I avoid? I noticed that I was burning through health items pretty rapidly against the giant sawblade things.
You really don't have to stress about it too much. You can literally just get a few chips that heal you when you kill enemies and give you health when you hit enemies you'll be fine. As long as you're playing on Normal the game is a breeze.

Sep 9, 2007
The good thing is there's no real mistakes you can make. You can swap around your chipset at anytime so there is some room for experimentation.

Early game, if you can find them, look for shock wave chips and some kind of healing chip (Auto heal or deadly heal are the first ones available, I think) and anti chain damage if you're constantly getting surrounded by enemies. Apart from that, its really up to you. Exp and item drop boosts are ok if you're grinding for levels or items, move speed up and auto collect item chips are nice, but not strictly needed.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Just don't forget to buy a chip for automatic item pickup from Devola and Popola as soon as they move into the camp later on. It's incredibly convenient, and if you advance the plot beyond a certain point, you won't have another chance to get it from them until near the very end of the game.

But yeah, there's no real punishment for experimenting with your ability chips as long as you don't get overly-enthusiastic about fusing them and end up with ones way too big to equip. Remember that the size of the resulting chip does depend on the size of the ones you fuse, and most chips come in various sizes even for the same level of bonus. But you can get some huge boosts from fusing them together, so it's a balancing act. And you can remove any elements of the HUD that you don't need in order to get slightly more room, but removing the OS chip means instant death, so don't touch that one (or do, I'm not your dad). Do buy the capacity upgrades as soon as you can, though, because they help significantly.

Eupho Guy is totally right, though: Auto Heal and Shockwave are available pretty early on, but can be some of the most practical chips in the game if fused enough times to get them to a high level. Combine Auto Heal with Deadly Heal and you're pretty much immortal if you play smart.

Oh yeah, and it's possible to go the entire game without even knowing about him, but (MINOR SPOILERS) there's a second weapon merchant in a secret room in the castle in the forest area who can upgrade your weapons to the maximum level of 4, as opposed to the regular one who can only go up to level 3. Level 4 weapons get extra abilities (like increased attack power when at maximum health, or automatically charging up power when not attacking), so they're worth gunning for.

Last thing (and more MINOR SPOILERS): If you have any sidequests you want to complete in the first chunk of the game, do them BEFORE going to the mission at the coast. Once you finish that bit, it's a point of no return for most of the sidequests.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
okay so healing chips & auto-collect should be what I first install? ok, that's cool.

Will reply more later this afternoon.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
jademunky said:
okay so healing chips & auto-collect should be what I first install? ok, that's cool.

Will reply more later this afternoon.
Well you do need to play a fair bit before Devola and Popola set up shop and make auto collect available, but yeah, don't miss your chance to buy it. And as both Eupho Guy and I have said, Shockwave is really useful as well, drastically increasing your attack range.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
jademunky said:
If there's anything out there more important than my ego I want it caught and shot right now.
I c wut u did thar.
I figured it had been enough time that people have forgotten the movie and I can throw out book references again.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
jademunky said:
I figured it had been enough time that people have forgotten the movie and I can throw out book references again.
My reference game is off the charts, boi.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Kotaro said:
Just don't forget to buy a chip for automatic item pickup from Devola and Popola as soon as they move into the camp later on. It's incredibly convenient, and if you advance the plot beyond a certain point, you won't have another chance to get it from them until near the very end of the game.

But yeah, there's no real punishment for experimenting with your ability chips as long as you don't get overly-enthusiastic about fusing them and end up with ones way too big to equip.
Got the Deadly heal, auto-heal and evasion boost now. Gonna keep an eye out for that other stuff you mentioned.

Last thing (and more MINOR SPOILERS): If you have any sidequests you want to complete in the first chunk of the game, do them BEFORE going to the mission at the coast. Once you finish that bit, it's a point of no return for most of the sidequests.
Probable undiagnosed OCD FTW!

*Edit* Also, and I don't know why I even ask: Should I bother with the fishing mechanic? I mean, please dear god no, but if it really does yield results.........