Should I buy Skyrim?

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Pretty self-explanatory really.
I play a lot of FPSs at the moment, but recently I've become detached and disinterested in online multiplayers of that sort; they just don't have the same charm as they used to. So I decided to have a look at the first hour or so of Skyrim. It seems really interesting, but I want you guys to tell me if I should get it (judging from previous forums, a lot of you have played it). I'm looking for reasonable, thought-out posts, explaining the highs and lows; I won't be persuaded by, "Get Skyrim cuz its gud".
Also, just to let you know, I have never ever played any Elder Scrolls games or the Fallout series, but I enjoy exploration and loot. I'm looking for alternatives to the FPS genre, and from first impressions this seems like the best option.

PS: I use an Xbox 360

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
hell yes, get it. If you like RPG's than this is a game to have. While I have it for xbox, I would recommend getting it for the PC because there is a really strong mod support for the whole TES series. Look at the mods for Morrowind and and Oblivion, they fix an faults that people can think of when they hear that Bethesda made the game. Hope this helps.

Psycho78

Jan 12, 2011
If you like games get Skyrim.

It's FULL of exploration and loot.

It's not great as a twitch-shooter but just for the wandering experience I think it would be worth it. If you cruise around in GTA just doing nothing and causing mayhem you'll love Skyrim.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I would recommend this game to anyone, and I mean anyone. Since you happen to like exploration and loot, it suits you even better than most, especially the exploration part. I have not encountered any other game in which the exploration is half as varied, compelling and just plain fun with the possible exception of Morrowind, one of the previous games in the series.

There's apparently over 130 different dungeons, tombs and locations like those, and so far (In at least 20 hours of gameplay) I have not encountered a single one that didn't have something which made it unique and interesting, and thus worth visiting.

cocoadog

Oct 9, 2008
lunncal said:
I would recommend this game to anyone, and I mean anyone. Since you happen to like exploration and loot, it suits you even better than most, especially the exploration part. I have not encountered any other game in which the exploration is half as varied, compelling and just plain fun with the possible exception of Morrowind, one of the previous games in the series.

There's apparently over 130 different dungeons, tombs and locations like those, and so far (In at least 20 hours of gameplay) I have not encountered a single one that didn't have something which made it unique and interesting, and thus worth visiting.
Why are you asking this question instead of buying this game?! You are wasting precious seconds that you will never get back by not playing it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
What platform are you thinking of getting it for? Because if it's PC then I'd wait a month or two, maybe even wait until the inevitable game of the year edition. I've seen too much talk about the usual Bethesda glitches and bugs, and straight up poor interface design to recommend getting it right away unless you want it for a console.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Dutch 924 said:
Pretty self-explanatory really.
I play a lot of FPSs at the moment, but recently I've become detached and disinterested in online multiplayers of that sort; they just don't have the same charm as they used to. So I decided to have a look at the first hour or so of Skyrim. It seems really interesting, but I want you guys to tell me if I should get it (judging from previous forums, a lot of you have played it). I'm looking for reasonable, thought-out posts, explaining the highs and lows; I won't be persuaded by, "Get Skyrim cuz its gud".
Also, just to let you know, I have never ever played any Elder Scrolls games or the Fallout series, but I enjoy exploration and loot. I'm looking for alternatives to the FPS genre, and from first impressions this seems like the best option.
Man, I wish I didn't sound like a fanboy but all weekend I actually spent time LOOKING for the faults of this game and couldn't find anything. I could point out a long list of faults to Morrowind and I would have a hard time finding any positive things at all to say about Oblivion. Skyrim, however, is always nitpicking stuff that don't matter like their physics engine can sometimes act weird but even those times are a bit rare. I really just don't have much to legitamately complain about. Even the writing and story is good so far. There are interesting people in the world. I give a damn about every quest. The worst negative I can think of is that the inventory menu doesn't let you sort it but even then it is tongue in cheek because it is very easy to navigate.

The combat is good, the finishing moves are awesomely implemented, the leveling system is compelling, the atmosphere is mind blowing for me personally, the economy is good, etc. I don't want to go on with the positives considering I haven't given you much negatives. But seriously, in this game the positives actually DO outweigh the negatives by a LOT.

P.S. I use PS3

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
Well since you've never played an Elder Scrolls game, I guess Skyrim is a good choice. Morrowind has a very unique world and graphical design but mechanics are a bit outdated. Recommending a single Elder Scrolls game is difficult because each one can stand on its own and provide hundreds of hours of entertainment. Since you've been playing a lot of FPS games lately I say go with Skyrim. Doesn't require planning your character like Morrowind and Oblivion did, you just lvl up skills you actually use. Dual wield gameplay allows for some fast paced fights, and randomized dragon encounters mean you'll (have to) choose your battlefields and make quick decisions. Main quest is interesting, but it's way too easy to get sidetracked and waste dozens of hours doing other things. Don't be intimidated by sheer size of the world, while it does feel (somewhat) alive it still revolves around you. Just allow yourself time to adjust to interface (if you're playing on PC) and general feel for how the game plays. Hope I helped.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well The Elder Scrolls games do one thing extremely well, they offer a huge world filled with wonders to explore.
Everything else is either mediocre, poor or downright shit.

Your move Mr. Bond

IdiotHeart

Jun 7, 2010
Just in terms of the sheer number of experiences provided for your money, yes.

You make not like its distinct Bethesda flavour, but hey, that's subjective and I can't tell you if you would or not. Nonetheless, if you like massively diverse worlds providing good quality content, go for it. The gameplay is just what I would want out of such a production - but don't expect the constant rush as in most FPS's, of course (although the pacing is somewhat of a winning factor)- and the presentation is beautiful. There are minor nits to pick with its various components, but those will surely be ironed out by patches/mods in the near future.

This is one game that deserves the hype, go forth!