Should I buy the new Pokemon White/Black game?

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
Pretty easy question, should I buy the new Pokemon Black/White game? I really don't mind which one Black or White, as they both seem similar but if there are any major differences, information about them would be appreciated.

I really enjoy my Pokemon games, sometimes I even revisit my old Pokemon Fire Red when I'm feeling a little bored. I enjoy discovering the new worlds and Pokemon and catching and training them but I don't know if the new Pokemon game is good or bad.

All I want to know is if it is fun and will be enjoyable for me to play, if it differs from the older versions in anyway and is it worth $55 - $70 of my money.

Thank you to all who answer, and a detailed response will probably alter my opinion a lot more then "Yes" and "No."

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Yes, it plays like Fire Red but with graphical improvements, some stupid pokemon designs but some really good ones too, I'd say if you enjoyed the last games you'd like these.

Grayfayce

Oct 14, 2009
I think so, yes. If you've liked Pokémon so far then you'll probably like this new one, because, in truth, it doesn't do a whole lot different. Yes, there are many generic changes (especially on the graphical front), but the core mechanics still pretty much remain the same. The only truly noteworthy change is the added emphasis on story, which I personally appreciated.

In fact, I may even say that this is one of the best Pokémon games yet, although I'll always have a place in my heart for my old Pokémon Crystal.

KhaoticOne

Apr 29, 2010
Personally i would wait and see if they release a 3rd game for the same generation.

Typically these 3rd games, have a bit of both stuff from the first 2 and maybe a little more in one aspect and less in others.

Although they dont always release this game, but im assuming it will be called Pokemon Gray?

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
If you enjoy the Pokemon formula that has endured up until now, then give it a resounding yes. The only complaint I can give in that respect is that the creatures look too pixelating during the battle sequences. Aside from that, it's a nice reskin. If you're looking for it to change things up, then don't buy it. It has an innovative subplot, but it doesn't take up nearly enough of your time to say that the game has any truly new or big ideas.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I love it, a hell of a lot better than D/P/P. Probably one of the best yet. Worth your money, definitely.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Dimensional Vortex said:
Pretty easy question, should I buy the new Pokemon Blac...
YES. Before you even finish that sentence, yes.

Black/White are easily the best in the series to date. Here's a short list of all the improvements:

Battles have been sped up. No more waiting for health bars to deplete, or for the game to tell you your pokemon is confused twice in a row. It's been streamlined.

TMs are now infinitely usable, as opposed to one-time only. Makes things SO much easier when team-building.

HMs are no longer mandatory. With a single exception early in the story, you're never forced to use HM moves to traverse the world, and beat the game. Now they're used strickly for extra exploration... and it's a massive improvement.

156 new critters. And a good percentage of them are actually good. A few duds here and there, but overall, I'm pleased with the designs this generation.

No older pokemon until you beat the story mode. You'll only encounter the new ones until you beat the game. Do you know what that means? No more Geodudes, or Magikarp, or fucking Zubats. GOD I was grateful for that while I was playing.

Better story. It's still not Shakespear, but it's way better than most pokemon stories.

Honestly, if you even have a TINY bit of love of Pokemon, this is a no-brainer.