Should I fear Steam?

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I got Steam, and now I realize I don't need it. Should I dispose of it immidiately? I've heard of it being like PC cancer.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Bullshit Steam is awesome. I've had no problems with it whatsoever. It's just so convenient! And for those who ***** about it, they usually ***** about it because it had a buggy start. And do you know why you should register your games with Steam? Lose the discs? No problem, just download them from Steam for no charge or no problems. It patches your games automatically and it's a neat package for buying games, getting new videos and so on. And another two reasons? Why they're called Portal and Team Fortress 2.

goodpoltergeist

Oct 9, 2007
I could do w/o steam, but that's just because I don't really use it.

If it's there, it doesn't really bother me. Plus, it allows me to play Portal on any computer I'm on, so long as it has steam on it.

KayleL

Jan 24, 2008
I love steam. I personally thing it's going to be the Amazon of games. It's no where near that yet, but it's getting there as more developers put there games on it. It more then just Valve games like it have been for the first 2 or 3 years. It's much better then Gamespy. If you pirate games, then it would be your worst nightmare.

It might come useful someday, but if you don't need it to run the game, then you could uninstall it if you like. All damage it's doing is taking up a some hardrive space.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Steam has done me no wrong and has in fact done me a lot of gaming goodness. I have had no security breaches, I have had no problems with downloads, I love auto updates, community has been a overall good experience, and I eagerly await new (and old ones no longer sold in stores) games I can purchase from there. Those are the good things, the downsides are being in a physical location that has poor connections to the internet (or none at all) and that they don't have all games on it yet.

Honeybunny

Feb 6, 2008
I use steam occasionally, however when it is not in use I have had no problems with it. As for it being a computer "cancer" I really don't agree. It is great for finding old gems such as The Longest Journey or the new Sam and Max episodes.

It will only go from strength to strength with more Indie developers releasing episodic and digital content. You can always stop it starting up with the computer if it annoys you.

Don Alejandro

Nov 15, 2007
Steam used to be rather intrusive, but as it is now it's fine. Also, no need to keep track of discs. Maybe it'll even phase out stores.

Kohlrabi

Nov 11, 2007
Most people loathe steam because now their friends can't give them pirated copies of their games anymore.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Steam is a very good program. It makes publishing games so much easier.

Valve recently released the tools needed for companies like Infinity Ward to patch their games using Steam (Previously, patches were sent to Valve so they could apply it themselves which took some time). This also lets developers use Valve anti-cheat which is the best anti-cheat software out to date. The steam server browser is also another feature recently released to developers.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Good summary, Khell. I'd just like to say though, that most people don't bother figuring out how to "hack" Steam accounts when it's far, FAR easier to take advantage of people who don't notice the warning "NEVER TELL YOUR STEAM PASSWORD TO ANYONE." at the top of chat windows.
"Hello, I am Valve Support. We noticed a problem with your account and needed your password..."

I've recently stopped having sympathy for people who fall for that.

Steam is also a great boon to more independent developers, and is a great form of feedback to creators. EA and Nvidia have said to Valve "I think you guys have more computer hardware information about our gaming populace than we do."

OneHP

Optimist Laureate
Jan 31, 2008
Heroic One said:
I am starting to think you guys are not talking about steam powered computers...
Imagine the cooling rig you'd need for that. Also another <3 steam here.

The Reverend

Jan 28, 2008
I used to be quite wary of steam, but now I quite like the simplicity of it. Though i still prefer to have the game on a disk, but I can live without it. Though, I hate to think of all that money I've spent on games that'll go down the pan if someone ever got my username/password. Still, I'm not stupid enough to give someone my account info.

Chaosthief

Sep 8, 2007
I hear a lot of complaints from other people about it but I don't really see anything that big on it. It has some really annoying bugs on occasion but my computer, modem, and firewall are all dysfunctional (especially the firewall and modem) anyway so it really doesn't seem that bad to me.

Crowbites

Jan 10, 2008
I only just got it with my orange box purchase. Aside from a few small things that get annoying I don't see any reason to hate it. With regards to anti-piracy though, I think it's absolutely ingenious.

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
I have used Steam since it was first released and have no real problems with it anymore. It was annoying when the friends server was down for like...a year and I'm still bothered that it frequently chooses not to save my server filters but that's just cosmetic and not enough for me to hate it. I am someone who loves to have hard copies of all my games and have only purchased Valve games on Steam, however, they work perfectly with it and other than a short bout with being unable to play them while offline I have no complaints.

As a person who played CS in the WON days I love the crap out of not having to use xfire, gametiger or any of the bajillion other methods for finding servers so I'm predisposed to like it. If I want to play Half-Life again I don't have to go rooting through my disc collection I just right click on it and tell it to install, I don't have to go trudging through the many tubes to find updates for my games anymore, and it stays comfortably within it's own realm of influence (or at least that's what my firewall tells me, they could be colluding).