Should I get Killing Floor 1 or 2?

onthefly2003

Oct 7, 2015
Killing floor 1 is 21.99 Canadian and Killing floor 2 is 32.99 Canadian on steam. I don't care about the price..what I am looking for is a community that is fun and a game where I can relax, chill, and talk. Which one would be better for me at this point?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
As someone who owns both, I'm going to hesitantly recommend KF2.

It's basically the exact same game with a major graphical update and some mechanical tweaks.

However, KF2, while completely functional and playable, is still incomplete in terms of content. So the selection of classes and weapons is pretty limited.

It's worth noting that KF1 often goes on sale for like $2.50. So waiting for a sale and picking it up dirt cheap is always an option. Then if you liked it you could pick up KF2 whenever you fancied.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'd like to add my own question to this thread: Does KF2 have the same cheesy voice acting as the original did?

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Aeshi said:
I'd like to add my own question to this thread: Does KF2 have the same cheesy voice acting as the original did?
Sort of? It's like that awkward point where it's no longer so bad it's good, and now it's just B-level bad. It's like the difference between the first GI Joe film and the second. The first one was really, really bad, but a lot of fun, and the second sort of streamlined that and lost it, like they were trying to do better and instead lost out on being fun because it was bad.

A lot of the lines are a lot less quotable. So I'm waiting on a mod that brings the old VA back. Someone's made up to date versions of the original levels, which I'd say are a lot better than the new ones.

OT: Both of them are pretty good, the biggest problem with KF1 is the levelling. You need to play on difficulties that match your level, because it drastically changes performance, and can bring an entire team down. And levelling takes a while. My recommendation is to stick to one primary class, and level it, either support or commando, and stick to Normal/Hard (Although hard is a stretch until you've got a level or two).

KF2 is sort of lacking in content atm, it's coming in, and they did drop two new classes and some maps recently, but for me there's not enough there to keep me entertained, and the custom maps are a mixed bag, some really good, some really bad (If you see kf-MAZE, leave the server, it's a hot fucking mess).

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Myself I'd go for KF2. But then again, I'm in Indonesia so obviously the servers available to me are quite different in terms of community.

I played KF1 a LOT but that was mostly with friends rather than strangers online, it was a hell of a ball while it lasted but those guys have moved on with their lives and other things.

Back on topic, KF2 is pretty much the same with much more intricate GORE engine, more weapons and more classes, though it's not finished yet. So it comes down to what you can run and if you're willing to pay a bit more for a game that isn't quite done yet, but will probably cost a bit more when it is complete. KF1 of course has lower requirements and will probably run on most average laptops these days.

Speaking of relaxing and chilling, I never play these games for that as I tend to search difficulty levels to my class level, which means things get mighty hot and heavy by the 3rd or 4th wave. Then again, maybe I just don't play it enough so I'm still poring over stats and strategy instead of going on autopilot-blasting mode. In other words, it's not exactly n00b friendly (difficulty wise, not community wise).

Having said that, there's nothing wrong with gaining a few levels and still playing on Normal servers just to kick back a bit, though you will level up a lot slower.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Get Killing Floor 2 when it's on sale. If you want, you can have my gift copy of KF1, which regularly goes on sale and has a lot of neat DLC.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I haven't played Killing Floor 2 (my toaster of a computer can't run it), but I've heard it's still very much a work in progress. Something to keep an eye on to be sure, but it probably doesn't have enough staying power at the moment.

The first game is still a blast to play, though. I'd say it's worth a purchase, but I would advise against forking out extra for the DLC at this late stage. While the community isn't what it used to be, you can still find decent matches fairly quickly unless you're playing at some ungodly hour of the night/early morning. I like to help out lowbies on Normal or Hard servers with my (nearly) maxed out perks. Starter weapons = lots of dosh to hand out.

Silvershock

Jul 12, 2013
I would say go with 2. I've got ~500 hours in the first game, and to me it's a classic, but it's also coming to the end of its life. KF2, despite being built on much more recent tech, runs way better than KF1 does. It looks better, sounds better, is less glitchy - the only downside is it doesn't have the wealth of content KF1 has built up over years of free content patches from Tripwire. Still, if you're OK getting in on something early, KF2 is basically a more refined version of KF1.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
Aeshi said:
Even worse.

Honestly I would be very hesitant with acquiring KF2 beta-testers have repeatedly been dissapointed and the game seems to be setting itself up for an overload of DLC-Purchases already whilst it is actually in EA.

Development is so slow it may kill your interest completely at this point as it did for me.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
kf1 is a game I love, but I wouldn't get it for more than a dollar or two. It's really just the complete package that makes the game nice, and 1 has a lot less coop now.

Kf2 also is a sexy package, but you'll want to have friends that play it.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I'm going to say KF1 is currently better, but KF2 is worth it.

Killing Floor 1 currently has more content (maps, guns, perks, DLC), its gameplay is fairly polished, it runs on worse rigs, and it's cheaper. It invariably goes on sale for dirt cheap during Halloween (AKA less than three weeks from now), because of the Halloween Sideshow event.

Killing Floor 2 has sexy amounts of polish, will eventually add in more perks than KF1 has for free, the shooting, hitboxes, gore, lighting, and map design is generally a lot more satisfying, and the game is actively being updated, unlike KF1 where I doubt it'll get any more updates except for major exploits or compatibility patches.

Problem with KF2 is that it's currently a diamond in the rough -- since the game was released, the community's been complaining that there's too little ammo compared to how many zeds there are per wave and that zeds generally have more health (compared to KF1, you only have something like 66% ammo to face 133% of zombies), Scrakes (the second-strongest non-boss zombies) are abysmally powerful, and some perks are hugely overpowered (Medic, Berserker) while some are nearly useless (Demolitions, Commando). Too much running around with no ammo getting chased by at least one raging mini-boss for seven minutes while you find the scarce ammo drops, then you get killed in two swipes after dumping 60% of your ammo into one of them and they don't die. The community keeps clinging to the idea that implementing the rest of the perks (mostly Sharpshooter) and TWI will actually make changes to the game for the better.

So far the development's been slow and selectively deaf to the community's biggest complaints. Since April there's been only one major content patch, one or two small additions where they added a map, and a few balance changes which seem to be be half content changes for the better (revamping Berserker, voting) and half content changes for the worse (removing early game weapon/ammo drops).

I will never deny that KF2 is satisfying, I will never deny that I really, really want KF2 to be good, I do think TWI listens to our criticism -- I just can't recommend KF2 when I think KF1 currently functions better with its content, and the tide of change with KF2 is so slow that a lot of people have lost interest on what is essentially a smaller version of a game that's been out since 2009.

Look back at it in a few months, maybe in spring, then ask if any of the issues have been ironed out.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
Wait for the upcoming sale of the first Killing Floor. There's usually a major Steam sale in October or early November.
Doesn't the Winter sale usually take place between mid December and early January?

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Both.

But pick them up during sales. KF1 is great but completely over-saturated with DLC and Killing Floor 2 isn't a finished game.

Basically, KF1 on it's own is a decent purchase, but for the sake of completeness I suggest waiting for a sale and getting the DLC along with the base game. That way you won't spent a fortune.

As for Killing Floor 2, just add it to your wishlist and watch list and wait for more content to be released before you get into it.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Depending on where you live and how hard it is to get a good connection Id suggest 2 simply by virtue of it having a larger player pool to draw on for games.