Should I play the first Mass Effect?

Rolaoi

Nov 10, 2013
The first was the only one Mass Effect I enjoyed. This was in spite of the fact that I played it on a standard definition television and had to constantly strain to read anything. The gameplay and story were stronger, and I enjoyed the exploration more. Even though Bioware games tend to be very railsy, but it was less so in ME1 than the others.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
The first game is the best one, so I would say yes. The combat gameplay isn't as great and some sections can drag but it is still easily the best one of the lot.

LegendaryVKickr

Jul 20, 2012
For what it's worth, the vehicle sections aren't as bad as some people make them. I found it to be quite a bit of fun bouncing around in a tank. That said, it was my least favorite of the trilogy, but it's definitely worth playing at least once.

Harpalyce

Social Justice Cleric
Mar 1, 2012
As long as you keep in mind that it's not as polished and you will absolutely loathe the inventory management bits: yes. The little details are worth it.

Also the Mako. I may not make friends with this opinion, because other people will tell you how bad it is, but the Mako is hilarious. You will not find anything quite like it in the rest of the Mass Effect world. It regards physics the same way your nosy Aunt Maude regards your discomfort at being constantly asked when you're going to make some grandbabies, or the same way a frat boy doing a keg stand regards non-alcoholic beer, or the same way a drill sergeant regards loving kind positive reinforcement to his new recruits. It just. Does. Not. Care. AT ALL. It is the honey badger of vehicles. Yes, it handles like a drunken baby seal on a unicycle, but it's oddly endearing about it. And if you keep that in mind, the sections driving the Mako become genuinely hilarious and fun in their own special way.

And besides, it's just really fun to stomp on some geth like a giant metallic wheeled homicidal Tigger with a gun turret. And if that phrase does not stir your heart with desire then I am afraid you might be a lost cause.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I only finished the game a short while ago, and I agree that it's a flawed gem. Gameplay isn't as polished and streamlined, and of course the graphics are a bit less impressive, but the deep atmosphere and quality writing are undeniable. I'd say give it a go, especially if you see appeal in the idea of transferring your main character across three games.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Yes it's the best one, 2 and 3 are "streamlined" (read dumbed down ) dude bro shooters with nothing interesting to show.