Should old games be free?

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
Publishers and Developers aren't going to make a ton of cash off a game that's a decade old, so why not release it for free? It could introduce new fans to a franchise that has an upcoming sequel. And besides from experience I know you can find any old game you want for free with one simple Google search.

What do you think?

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
When a product no longer has any current or future market position, then the reason to extend protection to it in the first place - to secure that investors, developers, and retailers are being paid - no longer applies.

So yes, if they've lost any real market value, then there's no reason to deny access to them. As GOG have proven, "old game" doesn't necessarily mean "no market" though, so as long as it's actually being sold in retail, copyright protection should remain in place no matter its age.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I think you should email GOG and ask them how their business model of re-releasing old games is working for them before you decide that they won't make money on it.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I think so, after say 15 years or so. Would obviously be great for consumers and while it might hurt certain players such as GoG and Nintendo I think rereleases should be sold on the merits of the improvements made and if new games can't compete with those released 15 years ago it puts a question mark on the value of the companies that make them.

But then I'm a fuzzy little idealist who thinks we really could be working on curing cancer and solving the energy crisis if only the system encouraged it.

Jul 22, 2009
I think incredibly old games that use outdated systems (meaning you need to use an emulator) shouldn't really fuss anyone...

Old games like Xargon which are released as freeware, I find to be a good idea :3

Good old Xargon, oh the nostalgia...

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
superdelux said:
Publishers and Developers aren't going to make a ton of cash off a game that's a decade old, so why not release it for free? It could introduce new fans to a franchise that has an upcoming sequel.

What do you think?
Wait what ? Screw the publishers ans the developpers , what about shop owners ? There are rare and collector games that are bein sold for $100+. Theres a shop in montreal ( canada,quebec ) called game buzz , they sell games that you can't really find anywhere other than online ,and guess what some people don't want to buy games online . I see copies of zelda OOT for 200$ , donkey kong 64 for 150$. , breath of fire 3 and 4. 100$ each etc...etc... Hell i bought my sealed copy of suikoden 3 for 100$ a couple of months ago . If they do that then ols classic games people collect would no longer be worth anything . I think it making old games free would hurt honest store owners , and some of them already have trouble keeping theor businesses open ( im not talking about game stop and places like that i mean smaller shops).

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
superdelux said:
Publishers and Developers aren't going to make a ton of cash off a game that's a decade old, so why not release it for free? It could introduce new fans to a franchise that has an upcoming sequel.

What do you think?
Such is the nature of capitalism my friend.

There are games that are decades old that still manage to sell, especially if said game is labelled as a classic. So long as there are means to sell you a copy of the game, they will sell you a copy of the game. The exception to the rule is if the game becomes Abandonware. Sadly, it is mostly the independent devs that go this route.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Depends if the dev is still around to earn money from the product it produced I guess.

Ex: I recently bought dominions 3. I could have pirated it quite easily (and many do) but the dev, shrapnel studios is still there (not to mention the only way you can buy the game legit is from them) so decided to purchase it from them. Ain't regretted the decision despite a surprisingly steep price for an old game, for the game might be old but it's one of the best strategy games I have ever played and gladly reward the dev with my money for it.

Also am a regular customer of gog.com... So yeah, I pay for my old games it seems xD

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
krazykidd said:
superdelux said:

What do you think?
Wait what ? Screw the publishers ans the developpers , what about shop owners ? There are rare and collector games that are bein sold for $100+. Theres a shop in montreal ( canada,quebec ) called game buzz , they sell games that you can't really find anywhere other than online ,and guess what some people don't want to buy games online . I see copies of zelda OOT for 200$ , donkey kong 64 for 150$. , breath of fire 3 and 4. 100$ each etc...etc... Hell i bought my sealed copy of suikoden 3 for 100$ a couple of months ago . If they do that then ols classic games people collect would no longer be worth anything . I think it making old games free would hurt honest store owners , and some of them already have trouble keeping theor businesses open ( im not talking about game stop and places like that i mean smaller shops).
Don't worry there will always be people who think having a free digital download isn't the same as having the physical copy of a game, Its the same reason why old comic books sell for a million dollars.

kidigus

Nov 17, 2009
I've only been gaming for a few years, so that would help me catch up on a lot of gaming history.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
I think it should be legal to download games which are no longer sold new (either by digital distribution or in shops). It'd make things a lot easier.

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
No, they shouldn't be free, but they should be a hell of a lot cheaper. Why does a copy of FFVII go for a $150? That's just stupid.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Um.. no. They own it the rights to it. Should have cars that are over 30 years old be free? Should old houses be free? thats just... just no.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
MostlyHarmless said:
No, they shouldn't be free, but they should be a hell of a lot cheaper. Why does a copy of FFVII go for a $150? That's just stupid.
hehe I agree, and.. I still have a copy of that in the shrink wrap :)

phantasmalWordsmith

Oct 5, 2010
Sounds like a good idea to me. Free things are great and I'd love to be able to play older games such as some of the early final fantasies, the Elder Scrolls, Fallouts, etc etc

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
superdelux said:
Publishers and Developers aren't going to make a ton of cash off a game that's a decade old, so why not release it for free? It could introduce new fans to a franchise that has an upcoming sequel. And besides from experience I know you can find any old game you want for free with one simple Google search.

What do you think?
Some do, it's called abandonware, it's a bit like movies going into public domain (except it doesn't take 30-70 years). Though the narrower but more certain term is Freeware

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_video_games_released_as_freeware

Notables on that list:
-Abuse
-Command & Conquer
-C&C Red Alert
-C&C Tiberian Sun
-Elder Scrolls Daggerfall
-FEAR Combat
-Grand Theft Auto 1 & " (the top-down games)
-Hidden & Dangerous (only 4 years after commercial release to promote H&D2)
-TEAM FORTRESS 2!
-Marathon Trilogy
-Tribes 1 & 2

The thing is an old title like System Shock 2 would be far more useful to be sold so that the developers have a bit more money to make their next game. Remember, it is Developers desperation for funds that causes them to turn to evil Corporate publishers to make their game at to cost of compromising their vision for maximum sales.

And interestingly when publishers own the rights to games they are extremely idealistic about them, they will resist incredibly any suggestion of "giving somethign away for free" with responses of "we are NOT a charity!"

See publishers mindset is they'd rather spend $20 million dollars advertising and marketing a game then releasing for free (or extremely low price) a game that would advertise itself!

Publishers want CONTROL - like most businesses - marketing is all about control, it manipulates their customers in remarkably underhanded ways.

Releasing the prequel free isn't really marketing, it is an appeal to logic rather than emotions.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
not free, but lowering the price, sure.
emeraldrafael said:
Um.. no. They own it the rights to it. Should have cars that are over 30 years old be free? Should old houses be free? thats just... just no.
thats different, an old game is out of production for a reason: the developer doesnt expect to make money on it any more. a 30 year old car is also out of production, but its being sold second hand, so it could be free if the owner so wished. and houses are sold by real estate companies, who DO expect to make money on it.
and they own the rights, but the games are second hand. the devs dont make any more money.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Games can't just be 'made free'. Someone still has to actively distribute them, incurring costs in the process... good luck finding that person.

Confidingtripod

May 29, 2010
as someone who was essetially told: even though bullfrog no-longer exists you still need to pay to download dungeon-keeper and popolus: The beginning, I feel old games should be available for free, especially when your downloading so there is no post and/or disk making costs

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Please game companies, re-release your old games, exactly as they were, but able to run on new hardware, that's all I ask.