Should one not write a story if it's offensive or plays upon sexist themes?

someguy1231

Apr 3, 2015
If you're not going to write a story because you're concerned someone might find it "offensive", then you might as well never write anything. People can be "offended" by anything for any reason. Every story that has been written or will ever be written is offensive to someone somewhere, no matter how absurd the reason.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
DudeistBelieve said:
Casual Shinji said:
People should write (draw/create) whatever the hell they want, but they should also accept the negative reactions their work might bring (assuming these reactions aren't violent).

I figure if you are an "artist" you make the things you make because you want to make them, not because you think the world might benefit from it. That to me has always been secondary when I made anything.
I mean it's a weird thing, because I don't want to create something just to release it into a vacuum. But I know at the same time thats what I'll have to do cause I can have 99 good reviews and just that one negative will fuck shit up.

God forbid 99 Negative reviews. I'll have figurative Gun in my mouth.
99 Negative? Why not? Get out of your comfort zone and write something you expect to have negative feed back. Who knows? Maybe you'll get nominated for the Hugo Awards next year.

Out of joke, the point is loads of negative feedback isn't the end of the world.

OT: It depends on the reason it's trying to be offensive/sexist. Is it harnessing the power of offence for good or for evil?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
CaitSeith said:
DudeistBelieve said:
Casual Shinji said:
People should write (draw/create) whatever the hell they want, but they should also accept the negative reactions their work might bring (assuming these reactions aren't violent).

I figure if you are an "artist" you make the things you make because you want to make them, not because you think the world might benefit from it. That to me has always been secondary when I made anything.
I mean it's a weird thing, because I don't want to create something just to release it into a vacuum. But I know at the same time thats what I'll have to do cause I can have 99 good reviews and just that one negative will fuck shit up.

God forbid 99 Negative reviews. I'll have figurative Gun in my mouth.
99 Negative? Why not? Get out of your comfort zone and write something you expect to have negative feed back. Who knows? Maybe you'll get nominated for the Hugo Awards next year.

Out of joke, the point is loads of negative feedback isn't the end of the world.

OT: It depends on the reason it's trying to be offensive/sexist. Is it harnessing the power of offence for good or for evil?
In the case of this current piece I'm working on, it simply is.

It's a novel about a damaged middle class white person bumbling through life. I imagine a "woke" ************ would take issue with it because white privilege and shit.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Meh. Write/draw/paint/whatever whatever the hell you want. Who cares if someone somewhere is offended. Early to mid 2000's I used to draw some fairly offensive stuff every now and then, but even those who thought it was offensive were more constructive about it. I don't know what happened, but these days it's pretty much HOLY SHIT THIS OFFENDS ME FUCK THIS GUY HERE'S WHERE HE LIVES HERE'S THE NAME OF HIS MOM AND DAD LET'S GET HIM FIRED TOO WHILE WE'RE AT IT.