Should Sony and Nintendo Fear the iPhone?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Sony should fear it, as they haven't had a worthwhile title for the PSP since God of War and Crisis Core.

Then again, I can't remember the last time I bought a new game for my DS.

Aw sh*t!

Monkz.

Apr 14, 2009
I think its only a matter of time until Apple release a device that is primary a game's console. They have been growing rapidly since the Ipod came out and they know how to build up hype nowadays just look at the waiting lines for the Iphone. Its not just sony and Nintendo its all major gaming companies.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
mikeydangerous said:
Whoever posted this, as well as the author of the original article, have obviously never played video games before. Asking if the iPhone is a threat to the PSP or DS is like asking if the Wii is a threat to the XBox or PS3. The answer is CHRIST NO! Playing games on the iPhone, like playing games on the Wii, is designed for ultra-casual games, and anyone who actually enjoys video games will just not bother, because it will be a mountain of crap with one or two mildly glinting exceptions.
Translation:

ultra-casual games = games you play while taking a shit

mikeydangerous

Apr 14, 2009
Jordan Deam said:
mikeydangerous said:
Asking if the iPhone is a threat to the PSP or DS is like asking if the Wii is a threat to the XBox or PS3. The answer is CHRIST NO!
I think you may have undermined your point a bit there. Look at these platforms from a broader perspective than simply "hardcore gamers," and it's abundantly clear which platform is dominating. I'm not saying the iPhone is the next Wii - it's too early to tell on that one. But claiming that the PSP and DS have nothing to fear because the iPhone doesn't appeal to a strictly hardcore audience is a little shortsighted.
To claim that the Wii is "dominating" completely undermines your intelligence, and therefore your argument. The Wii sells consoles, but then no one ever plays said console because all the games are gimmicky pieces of crap. People buy the system but never play it, and that is the problem with the "casual audience" they are not the ones who support the systems and buy multiple games. in any business it is the "hardcore fans" that drive the business. ask any internet startup and they will tell you that a rabid fan-base of 1000 people is always better than 100,000 casual fans.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/08/nielsen-report-reveals-average-game-console-usage/