Should they remake FF7?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
To start, I know this topic has been done to death. In the vastness of the internet everyone has done a topic on this. I need to get a life and stop obsessing over a 13 year old video game.

There, if you were going to say that, I just ninja'd you.

Ok, I absolutely loved Final Fantasy 7. Easily one of my favorite games of all time. I even downloaded off the Playstation Network and copied it to my PSP. I can't say enough good things about it.

So after seeing the FF7 PS3 tech demo, I was extremely hopeful for an actual remake of this incredible game. And then years passed. And I'd read statements from Square-Enix staff and directors that wanted to remake FF7 if only because the fans wanted it so much, but they were far too busy. Hope springs eternal.

And, then, one day, I realized something: Final Fantasy 7 WOULD SUCK IF THEY REMADE IT!

Yeah, that's right. It would not live up to our memories or expectations. Square would spend millions and we would hate it. You doubt it? Ask people what they think of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or the new look for Dante in Devil May Cry 5 or Cole in inFamous 2. How much hate does Final Fantasy 13 get?

But I don't think it will be bad because we're all ingrates. No, I think it would be bad, because it's a 13 year old game that they would be trying to make work in 2010, the era of the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Let's look at the battle system. It's the Active Time Battle system. It would not work in a modern day game. Yes, it worked in every Final Fantasy up to 9, but it would not work by today's standards. Why do you think Square has been altering it so much? Even I admit that I was getting tired of it. And if they alter that, you likely wouldn't be able to control all your precious characters in battle. Just let Aeris and Barret do whatever they want, because trying to control them in a fast paced battle system would be difficult to say the least. The most likely candidates for a "new" battle system would be FF10, too slow for some (I actually really like FF10's system), FF12, lack of control would be hated by FF fanboys, FF13, which would be too fast AND lack the control the fanboys crave or Crisis Core, which would still not allow you to control other characters.

The limit system worked in FF7, but how could they incorporate it in any other battle system? How would they work with materia in a new battle system? Would they scrap the old junctiong system?

The Overworld map. When's the last time we saw one of those? Been a while. Do you really miss it? How much different was FF12 or FF13? At least, their worlds were consistent. Oh, you didn't get to view the whole world and fly around in an airship? Big deal. While I loved the Highwind, flying it around was overrated. Square has recently stated that creating the whole game world would be prohibitive. So, you could expect a more linear path even if they did recreate FF7.

What about Cid and Barret? Will they still be allowed to cuss? And smoke? If they aren't would the fans complain? Honestly, I would. Those aspects were part of what made them who they were.

Who likes Cait Sith? Actually, we could just lose him. Let him take the blade for Aeris (without some copy just showing up)! That might make a remake worthwhile. Cait Sith would look completely out of place among the other characters and modern design in general. I really hated him in Dirge of Cerberus. Actually, I hate any FF reference to Cait Sith. EVER.

My point is, Final Fantasy 7 would not survive the transfer to modern day consoles. All of it's concepts were last gen last gen. And if Square dared mess with the original style, many people would be up in arms. I cite my previous statement:
Ask people what they think of Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or the new look for Dante in Devil May Cry 5 or Cole in inFamous 2.
But if they didn't tweak it some, everyone else would hate it. Probably even some of the people that are clamoring for a remake, too.

So, let Square make new games and move ahead. If you want to play FF7 so bad, do like me, and play it on PSP. If you truly love the game, you don't need high res visuals or next gen graphics (and you know people would complain if you couldn't count the stubble on Barret's face).

What do you think? I'm sure I've only scratched the surface of why a FF7 remake wouldn't work. Maybe you disagree?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Mediocre game gets fancy new paint job.

Doesn't change what the core of it is.

If FF7 got 'remade', it'd more or less need to be a reboot.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
It'd make a fine remake. Just because it's last gen doesn't make it bad. I guess if you're a dumb fuck then logically if it's old it has to be terrible.

...However, if they remade FF7, I'd be very angry. Not because I don't like FF7, but because every fanboy in the world would cry out in song, and we'd never hear the fucking end of it.

Final Fantasy 7 needs to die. Please let it.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
I absolutely cum my pants over FF7. But when it comes to a re-makes .... they seem to always ruin it for me, don't know why but it never even comes close to how good the originals are.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
They really shouldn't, but this is Square-Enix we're talking about. They've been content to milk VII for all it's worth almost since the day it was released, and we're supposed to believe they're not going to go for the mother of all guaranteed cash cows? Absurd.

I doubt it'll be a console remake. As we're up to IV in the remake line on hand-helds, V, VI and VII will probably be remade for the 3DS, which, given the 3DS's alleged processing strength being that of a "Wii Lite", is sure to be visually interesting, if nothing else. I'm sure it would be a fine game, simply because FFVII is just that in and of itself, a fine game. It's got a great story, the characters are compelling, the Materia system is interesting (if a little exploitable) and the soundtrack is one of Uematsu's best. There's no way it could be bad.

That said, it would destroy FFVII for me the same way IVDS destroyed FFIV for me. The horrible polygon graphics, the awkward translation, the lack of voice acting, the load times and the washed out, pre-rendered backgrounds are all part of the charm of FFVII for me. You take that away and what have you got? A solid game, sure... But it wouldn't be half as good as I remember it being, simply because of the lack of the things that marked it not as a classic, but a Playstation classic.

tl;dr: They shouldn't. They're going to. It'll be great, but it'll still blow because of nostalgia. Try to wrap your head around that one.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. They should punish all the whinny brats who keep crying for it by never releasing it and laughing at the fanboy tears!

They could probably make some quick cash if they release it but apparently nobody thinks it'll be worth enough to go through the trouble so its not happening.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
NO! Square has said they won't be doing such a thing because the labor would take them to long. So please SHUT UP about it.

Kayos

Apr 7, 2010
To be honest, I still consider FF7 to be the best game ever made.
I love most of the characters on it. I love the gameplay, just everything about it is awesome,
Alot of what the new FF's are missing is a world map, that is one of the many things i love about the old FF's.
If they remade ff7, id still love it, if all the did, Up the graphics to ps3. and maybe tune some of the bosses / monsters with more hp, or new moves to make it a touch more challenging.

Back when i was really young, and played it, i remember spending hours trying to beat the demon gate.
But now, i breeze through it :p

TL/DR: I'd be happy with just better graphics, and boss / monsters being a bit harder.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
mm, get it out and that'd be the end of it
but eh, yes no maybe doesn't really matter, they'll do what they want

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
If it was simply a graphical update and nothing else, I'd be fine with it. the game is really hard to look at nowadays.

But for the love of the Ancients, no voice acting, please!

Winfrid

Oct 21, 2008
Chances are they'd ruin it anyway

Skoldpadda said:
But for the love of the Ancients, no voice acting, please!
Voice actors from FF7:AC inc! wtfboooooooom

MakoNendrak

Nov 2, 2009
bluecrimson said:
They won't, because it would be too damn expensive.
So you don't think that they'd make the money back on release day?

I'd LIKE to see a remake, I really would. The thing is, though, that the fans of that one would demand another in the next thirteen years. It'd be a never-ending cycle of FF VIIs, until games consoles are banned when some idiot psychologist convinces everyone that they encourage real life violence.

Breathe in... Breathe out...

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
There has been an article talking about this very subject, which basically says from a financial standpoint, it's a bad investment anyway.

Everything would have to be re-done, ranging from character models (since FF7 was on PS1 software), background material (since a lot of it were actually 2D images), animation, to voice acting. (cuz every AAA title game needs this, apparently)

The cost would be immense. And chances are, most of us who would buy the game have already bought it.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
I'd love to see it get remade, if only because HI I'M A CRAZY FAN WHO WORSHIPS THE GROUND THAT GAME WALKS ON.

But, as so many of the previous posters have said, it's not gonna happen.

I'm content with my PS1 graphics and my old-school music. (And for the record, pick up the Piano Collections and Reunion Tracks for this game. It's well worth the money.)

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
gamer_parent said:
There has been an article talking about this very subject, which basically says from a financial standpoint, it's a bad investment anyway.

Everything would have to be re-done, ranging from character models (since FF7 was on PS1 software), background material (since a lot of it were actually 2D images), animation, to voice acting. (cuz every AAA title game needs this, apparently)

The cost would be immense. And chances are, most of us who would buy the game have already bought it.
I think I read that article a little while ago. Which is part of what changed my mind about the whole remake concept. If they remade it, but only did so half-ass, it would feel like an insult to all the fans of the original. So, yes, I am one of those that would want them to make it a AAA title if they were to remake it. At least a AAA title on the DS or PSP.

Space Spoons said:
They really shouldn't, but this is Square-Enix we're talking about. They've been content to milk VII for all it's worth almost since the day it was released, and we're supposed to believe they're not going to go for the mother of all guaranteed cash cows? Absurd.

I doubt it'll be a console remake. As we're up to IV in the remake line on hand-helds, V, VI and VII will probably be remade for the 3DS, which, given the 3DS's alleged processing strength being that of a "Wii Lite", is sure to be visually interesting, if nothing else. I'm sure it would be a fine game, simply because FFVII is just that in and of itself, a fine game. It's got a great story, the characters are compelling, the Materia system is interesting (if a little exploitable) and the soundtrack is one of Uematsu's best. There's no way it could be bad.

That said, it would destroy FFVII for me the same way IVDS destroyed FFIV for me. The horrible polygon graphics, the awkward translation, the lack of voice acting, the load times and the washed out, pre-rendered backgrounds are all part of the charm of FFVII for me. You take that away and what have you got? A solid game, sure... But it wouldn't be half as good as I remember it being, simply because of the lack of the things that marked it not as a classic, but a Playstation classic.

tl;dr: They shouldn't. They're going to. It'll be great, but it'll still blow because of nostalgia. Try to wrap your head around that one.
Let's be honest if anyone can find the graphical limits of a console its Square.

You had load times in FF7 on the PSone? No offense, but what was wrong with your PSone? I never had load times in FF7. Not noticeable "Your game is loading" time anyway.

For the record IF they did remake FF7, I would buy it. If only to see the new graphics, what they added and what they changed.

jamescorck

Jan 25, 2010
No, they should not.

Final Fantasy VII works really well as it is now on the original PSOne. Only because people consider FF VII the last "good" Final Fantasy game that doesn't mean it should be remade. Besides, I think that before remaking FF VII they should remake FF VI.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
I'm sorry, but there was an article written I THINK by Shamus young. He explains JUST how complicated and not worth it the graphics update are. Move on, it will never happen. Sorry man