Should video game violence be blamed

BoxCutter

Jul 3, 2009
I don't blame games for anything, I have been playing them my whole life and I have never wrongfully killed anyone. Everyone is always looking for an excuse, one that will put anyone else at fault besides them.

Video games don't kill people, people kill people

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
It's not surprising that humans can be influenced by a variety of outside factors.

However, if we're going to blame video games, then we have to lay the blame equally on everything else. This means every other kind of media outlet - Television, radio, music, computers, movies, etc.

Blaming video games and only video games is rather ignorant and one-sided. We need proof first of all that other sources of media/entertainment are not just as influential, then we need proof that video games are evil. It could be a while until either happens.

It also seems to me a lot of people tend to forget that those responsible for those tragedies (shootings, etc.), were already having some sort of problems related to their mental health. Time and time again we see that maybe video games were not the direct cause.

So, to reiterate, no we can't blame video games only.

Huey1000

Oct 14, 2008
They used to blame games like Sonic the Hedgehog when I was a kid. I mean we shoplifted, sagged off school, scared old twats, but I don't remember Sonic teaching me those things..

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
effilctar said:
1) Are the video games really to blame or are the mentally unbalanced saying it was because of the game in hope that the media will focus on the game rather than them?
Fixed. And yes. Rock n roll was the scapegoat in the 50's, movies like "A Clockwork Orange" were beaten over the head in te 70's, and now gaming has become the latest in this century-spanning blame game.

effilctar said:
2) Should the age rating on a game be replaced with a common sense rating instead?
"What would you do with a car?"
"drive it down the wrong side of the road to see if it's as easy as GTA"
"Okey Dokey, you failed the common sense test, you cannot have this game"
Unfortunatly, age isn't always a sign of emotional and mental maturity, but I don't see every game shop running a background check on potential customers as fair, feasible or on the right side of silly. So we're stuck with these rabble-rousing stories 'till the next big craze comes in. My money is on VR.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I think it's the fault of the idiots who can't tell the difference between games and reality then go out and do crazy shit like that. The games are a form of entertainment and millions of people enjoy then without going out and killing people, so it can't be the games fault.
This. They should make it a law if you try and blame video games for your crimes you are found guilty no matter what happens.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, let's see. I'm a fairly avid speaker onto this sort of thing. I love games and I love violence. So, does that mean I'm going to cut someone into little chunks? I...think not. I'm inclined to fall in with the school of thought that games can prevent violence because of how much of your frustrations are aimed at IT instead of people. The problem is that gaming is neither a power for good OR for evil. The same can be said of the gun, or any piece of technology. It's up to the user. If the user falls into the blurring of reality and guns someone down, that's because he has issues. The games that are sold do not say "Go out and kill people in your neighborhood.". No. They tell you to kill people in the games.

And don't tell me that "Well, it's somehow implied.", because that is counter-productive to the industry. Game developers are a business, period. They sell entertainment for money. If they willingly cause people to go ape-shit-bazooka with their products, then they are not going to make anymore money, because of all these people saying how games are dangerous. So, if they have ANY brains, then no person who has ever gone crazy when there was supposedly a game involved would be that way on purpose. Game developers want people to sit at home, pull up a controller, and play their products. In other words, they like inactive couch potatoes.

Now, the test for common sense idea, I like very much. (Mostly because I would always pass.) I'm not sure exactly how you would apply it, because there doesn't seem to be a fully easy way to ascertain if a person has got their head on straight. I mean, if you ask him questions, he could lie...maybe. I dunno. Common sense is uncommon sometimes, though, so I would love to see a working method of using that.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
there have been NO studies to prove that they cause violence

BUT

their have been numerous clinical studies that show that video games can help people in pain and their have been people with anger management problems being able to take their anger and relieve it

generally i dont think its the peoples fault its the medias for trying to blame everything on something