Should you brag about your IQ?

Knonsense

Oct 22, 2008
IQ tests are loathsome. I don't know my IQ.

It's really not something to brag about. You'll look like a jackass if you mention it. Superf**k bonus points if it's in your Username.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
LCP said:
Machines Are Us said:
People shouldn't really brag about anything.
There ya go! only morons brag.
Then everyone in the world is a moron. You might not brag about the big stuff, but everyone brags about something.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Assassinator said:
Imo, IQ is nearly worthless to judge someone's intelligence. Someone who really really really sucks with numbers (like moi) will fuck up an IQ test wich would result in a lower score. Does that mean I'm not intelligent? Doubt it. IQ is too sumarized, too general. I prefer Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_intelligences]
This.

PatientGrasshopper

Nov 2, 2008
Assassinator said:
Imo, IQ is nearly worthless to judge someone's intelligence. Someone who really really really sucks with numbers (like moi) will fuck up an IQ test wich would result in a lower score. Does that mean I'm not intelligent? Doubt it. IQ is too sumarized, too general. I prefer Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_intelligences]
I could agree with this, IQ only measures a limited type of intelligence. Also, the tests that you usually take can't accurately portray that either. Intelligence i more complicated than something that can be measured definitely on a standardized test. Plus people learn differently.

koshua

Apr 4, 2008
I do some really quite spectacularly stupid things and yet I perform very well on IQ (well, g)-correlated tests. Nothing to be proud of.

Zacharine

Apr 17, 2009
Fishattacks said:
A person with an IQ of 70 would almost definitely not be better at solving any problems than a person with 120.
Oh?
'
Then perhaps you'd like to meet my chemitry professor. A member of Mensa, IQ around 140-145. And yet, if his car fails, he calls to his mechanic (almost a school dropout) because the prof himself will have no idea of how to even guess at what possibly might be wrong.

The prof has almost no practical problem solving skills. He knows more about physics and chemistry than I do, yet it took him almost 20 minutes to figure out how to get a tennis ball out of a bucket without touching the ball or the bucket. Really, he's a genius but with almost zero practical solving skills. That's why he only work with theory and books: it's the only thing he's good at and he himself has said so.

So really, it's not about IQ, it's about how you use what you have and what kind of experience and education you've gotten druing your life.

HiThere

Jun 8, 2009
I don't take much stock in IQ as a measuring device, for reasons I'll get in to below.

I tested very high in IQ and other standardized testing in high school, got a National Merit scholarship based on various test scores (free ride to many universities in the US) and proceeded to drink and smoke it all away during a first failed attempt at a simple program in a liberal arts college. As has been discussed here, there are many aspects of the human intellect not measured on the test, and these can be as important, or more important than, many of the metrics covered. My inability to socialize on an adult level in my late teens/early 20s, for example, led me to a place where I turned to drugs/alcohol for comfort, and a string of meaningless and un-fulfilling relationships that hurt myself and others around me. I've since come to terms with a lot of that, and managed to get my Bachelor's in EE, a great job, and I'm celebrating ten years of marriage wife and child that I adore...but the process of socially maturing, for me, took perhaps a decade longer than it should have. My aptitude for mathematics, pattern recognition, and visualization of spatial manipulation has indeed served me well, but my point is, it's not the yardstick to measure aptitude for life that some think it is. There are many people I consider well capable of leading/mentoring me in a business/social setting that I would guess are less "book smart" than I am.

gmjapan

Oct 21, 2008
Maybe you can find a use for an IQ, if its low enough I think theres a point where you are legally a moron. Might get you off the hook one day, though not sure you'd want to brag about it.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
stinkychops said:
rockingnic said:
IQ is one of the most pointless things. Who cares how smart you are? Is there a purpose?
IQ proves possible intelligence based on spacial awareness. Which makes it worse than being smart. IQ can be higher for a five year old than an adult. The adult could be a proffesor.
I meant beyond what it's suppose to calculate because I don't see where anyone uses their IQ score for anything.

JFenlon

May 30, 2009
Oooooooooh your smart?

yeah...

Your still going to die, same as everyone else.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Well, I never did IQ tests...
Still, I know I'm gifted, but that by no means I'm better than anyone else. Its all about the actions.
Even then, bragging is a -20 points type-thing, so be wary of it.
Anyway, my mother does all the bragging for me. "She just got another scholarship!" "She started college at 14!" "She won the Student art show!"
Still, ask me to do math, and I'll prolly be able to do it, but very slowly.
Everyone has their strong suits, and I think things are best when other people take the time to recognize the peak performance of those around them. I try to compliment people multiple times a day, even going so far as to compliment strangers. Its easy, quick, and adds good will into the world.

cyrad

Dec 24, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
cyrad said:
A truly intelligent person would a certain sense of humility about their intellectual abilities. A truly intelligent individual would also realize that bragging about their IQ would make them look stupid, which contradicts the motive for bragging about IQ in the first place. If you had a low or average IQ, then there would be no reason to brag. Thus, you should not brag about your IQ.

Also, I'm wary of IQ measurements because I personally feel a person's intelligence cannot be accurately measured numerically.
Who says intelligent people have to be humble or polite? I don't think people capable of a high degree of reasoning are neccesarially going to be more modest.

Why can't smart people can't be a little insecure? If you were the stereotypical nerd who got picked on in high school, and it turned out you were really smart, wouldn't you be constantly reminding people of how awesome you were in an attempt to convince yourself?
I never said that smart people CAN'T be humble, but rather they SHOULD be humble. Being modest is not only more ethical but also has more logical benefits than bragging. Bragging can make you appear egotistical, which is a negative conotation. Also, people tend to doubt a person claiming they're smart out of spite.

If you want to show that you're intelligent, there are better ways than bragging or showing off your IQ score. Rather than SAY you're awesome, DO something that shows you're awesome. And do it in relation to what appeals to the audience you're trying to show off to.

And as someone who was picked on in school and had high grades, I can personally say that rubbing your intelligence into people's faces is generally a bad idea. It's okay to brag about your grades to your parents to increase your self esteem, but doing it to other people, especially those who are picking on you, will have negative effects. For example, my intelligence was one of the reasons I was picked on. I got better grades and was more charismatic to the teachers. I was also tall. So, the kids tried to make me feel stupid and weak so they can feel better about themselves. Most people tend to think bullies pick on other kids because of their negative traits when, in reality, most bullies pick on them because of their positive traits.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
I'm already too much of a smug to brag about my IQ. Also my class contains of some people that are not the smartest bunch in th barnyard so it lies down to this truth: My ego say that I'm superior, my brain and conscience says no but my mouth utter the word 'yes'. Damn ego.

Golden Gryphon

Jun 10, 2009
I don't trust any of the test you can take on the internet. I don't feel the need to know my IQ, I know I'm intelligent (if not a genius) and so will anyone else who has a conversation with me.

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
megh... one can brag about it I guess.. but in all reality it does little to nothing for you.... Technically I outscore Tesla overall,( though he destroys me in math related things) and was invited into mensa at a fairly young age.....

but does any of that mean anything? no, not in the slightest...because what makes up ones IQ covers only a very very limited range ( though newer tests are factoring in other aspects, such as spacial recognition, and adaptability) and the concept of the tests is still fairly flawed.

I've seen men and women who could give Good Ol' Albert a run for his money in the brains department completely destroyed by the real day to day world...as everything they were was tied up into one one thing or another..

an IQ alone won't get you a cushy job, land you a dream spouse...all it really does is come across as being pretentious.

YOU are who you are, your social ability, your maturity, your sense of responsibility, your level of ethics, your experiences of life...THOSE are what make you who you are...not a set of numbers.